• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, I was a lot younger when I did my travels and thought myself immortal (and I still had teeth lol). Now, I stay where I am and I might go visit Australia, I have a buddy there, but I am finished with leaving the country, been there done that. If I were to go to Antarctica and Australia, I would have set foot one every continent on the planet.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Wife is a Dentist but she does not do implants yet. She is doing a few CE classes this spring to get ready for them. Ill see who she says the go to Dr's are in your area for implants. Oral surgen is your best bet is what she will probably say.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    some of the dental insurances have a waiting period for major work.

if you go to a private dentist, you might save money by getting a plan that matches the the dentist's network. even if insurance will pay little, getting network pricing might be worth it.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I do a fair number of these...

I would do as someone else suggested and contact your insurance company to find a dentist in your area. The type of denture you are most likely seeking is a "locator" retained denture. They should be familiar with that term. If they aren't well, I'd probably try somewhere else. Also consider that most insurance companies have a $1000 per year maximum benefit and you will surpass hat easily with implants and an retained denture. You may be just as well seeking out a competent dental team and negotiating a cash price instead.

A locator denture is one for which implants are placed in the mandible and the denture can be made to "snap on". The locator attachments are very similar to the snaps on your coat or pockets. This type of denture provides a good balance of stability and retention while also being much lower cost than a non removable option. You can use 2 implants for a locator denture, but you will have more movement along the axis between the implants. 3 is relatively stable and 4 is usually really good. It is safe to assume $1500-2000 per implant, then another $500 for the attachment per implant, then another $1500-2000 for the denture. So, depending upon what you choose, it may be $6-10k. Your existing denture MIGHT be able to be retrofit to the implants.

A non removable option is placed onto the implants and retained by titanium screws which need to be taken off professionally and cleaned every 2 years. The non removable options are very expensive. Usually these options will be approximately $20+k for one prosthetic top or bottom.

I think that turning point likely does excellent work, but I don't feel like their prices are overly competitive. You should be able to find a good team locally that doesn't spend as much money on advertising or rent in Carmel. I've heard recently that Turning Point is advertising $15k for their services per arch, but that only includes the acrylic temporary and not the permanent prosthetic.

Mini implants have 3 indications. The patient cannot medically undergo a procedure with standard sized implants. The patient has insufficient bone in which to place standard implants. The patient cannot afford standard sized implants. They can and do work, but I dislike them. I don't place them. You may be able to have mini implants placed and they may even be able to retrofit your existing denture to the mini implants. I would guess your cost on that would be a couple of thousand.

The dental school is probably a good option if you have way more time than money and I essentially mean unemployed/retired. A denture is very time consuming to have made at the school. I remember spending somewhere around 25 or more hours with the patient in the chair to make a conventional denture back in school.

Hope this helps give you an idea.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Thank you all, I contacted IUPUI, it is only an hour or so from me, and will see someone later this month.

I tried my insurance company, which I said earlier, and they weren't able to help. I tried a lot of things but no one nearby would take my insurance. IUPUI takes any insurance and then goes from there. My dad is gonna help me with the bills. It has been four years since I let Aspen Butchers take out my teeth and fit me with dentures they KNEW Wouldn't work out. Implants are the only way I think I will be able to eat a Pizza again or anything else like peanuts, so I have time and will wait to see how this goes. I have time to let my implants heal up before they fit me with teeth too. I am a patient man. I am essentially unemployable and live off my disability from the state of IL, where I used to work. So I have more time than money.:)

Top Bottom