• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Alternating acetaminophen and ibuprofen will work better than most narcotics for actually relieving pain. I would do that and ice.

That's what the Dr recommended for my daughter when she had her tonsils and adenoids removed. Well actually vicodin alternated with ibuprofen at first. Take one and 3-4 hrs later the other depending on the pain.

Y'all must be doing it wrong. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled at the same time, teeth pulled, root canals, an apicoectomy, implants, etc. and never had any significant pain afterwards...or maybe I'm just damn lucky with the lack of dental pain.:)

I save the prescribed painkillers for the occasional bad mountain bike crashes.

I'd say damn lucky. My worst pain ever was from dental pain. I had an abscess and it hurt but I could deal with it, after about a week I finally went to the dentist. He checked it out, shot me with some Novocaine and drilled the tooth. So far so good, no real pain. After it drained for a couple of minutes he jammed a metal rod up inside it. I don't know if it was coated in something or just heated up but it felt like burning. The only pain I've ever had in my life that literally made me unable to react/move/think I couldn't scream or even see. My body seized up and my world was only that pain. It only lasted for a couple of seconds but felt like forever. I broke my ankle at work and tried to walk on it but it just buckled. Hopped my way to the office because the boss said he'd be out in a bit he was talking with the other boss. Sat there for half hr while they decided who was going to take me into the hospital. Half hr truck ride to the hospital, the x-ray tech turning it this way and that to get the shots they wanted after being at the hospital for close to 2 hrs., and bumping into a doorway or two on there way there and back. All with no pain meds didn't compare. Heck the next morning on the way to surgery after the pain meds had worn off and the crutches slipping on the marble floor and me bouncing my foot of it a few times trying to keep my balance didn't touch the pain from that tooth. I broke a tooth, just about took the entire top off and exposed the nerve, that didn't touch the pain when the Dr shoved that thing in my tooth.

My brain is swimming with this thread. Just random tidbits of information, not trying to correct anyone.
    --You simply cannot compare war stories from one person to the next on pain. Too many moving parts to generalize.
    --In dentistry we deal 99.99% with acute pain. There is a pain source, we treat it, pain gone. Poke yourself with a knife you get acute pain. If you don't take out the knife for years you'll get pain for years...acute pain for years. Chronic pain is an entirely different animal and has little to do with how long you have the pain. Someone with chronic pain at some point started feeling the pain, so they've had chronic pain for 1 day. Totally different body systems and mechanism and therefore treatment. Acute pain situation can start chronic pain but chronic pain can be its own thing. Its like your CNS has established the pain as the new norm. This is easier to picture when you hear about amputees still having foot pain...foots gone...CNS, brain, muscles, however still generate pain.
    --Genetics and past history can totally change how your CNS reacts to a new injury or procedure, it also can greatly affect how you respond to different treatments for pain, and in less frequent but not rare cases can change whether you hyper, hypo, or do not respond to certain medications regardless of why you are taking them. These are 3 separate things.

Thanks for this.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am cleared after final check. No pain, no bleeding, no temperature sensitivity.

Glad I spent the dough to get it fixed!

After the cornea surgery for the left eye, the flap surgery for the right upper of my yap, we need to start a pool on which part of Kirk will be cut on next.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am cleared after final check. No pain, no bleeding, no temperature sensitivity.

After the cornea surgery for the left eye, the flap surgery for the right upper of my yap, we need to start a pool on which part of Kirk will be cut on next.

Do you have a Health Saving Account?

I made good use of mine for the first time this year.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

If we pay extra do we get to pick the part they actually cut?:):

Top Bottom