• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Our Sheriff has made the decision to trade our Glock model 22's for Glock 21 SF's. We almost went with the Smith M&P last January, but held off. Glock has set the department out with a dealer to trade one for one on new Glock's Some on the department will also be getting the model 30 or 36. The goal is also the trade in the Kahr's for Glock's. Most of the department is issued Kahr's for backup guns, but also no one carries them.

I will take the option to buy back my glock for $300 before it is traded away.

I was suprised by the decision with the higher cost of ammo, but the Sheriff seems to want a 45 pistol. I'm pushing for a change from Gold Dot to Federal ammo for department carry.

I appears this trade will take place this January after the new budget goes into effect.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    hmmm, I must say that is good news, I have yet to find an accurate 40s&w....

whats sad is they will most likely see accuracy rise and stopping power prevail.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I always like to hear it when departments switch to the .45. It is a fantastic caliber for man stopping, something that should be paramount for leos.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    personally, i see this as good news for your department. i find the 21 easier to shoot well, over the 22, even with the huge frame.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Correct me if I am wrong:

The majority of LEO aren't necessarily "gun people".
    LEO that shoot beyond the amount imposed by their department are unquestionably in the minority.
    There are LEO on every department that barely qualify.

If any of these statements are unfair, I am willing to hear the rebuttal.

A hunting buddy is a LEO, was formerly the firearms instructor before he realized that it was a PITA. Part of his challenge as firearms instructor was to work with the guys who couldn't qualify. I cannot remember if it was every six months, or annually, but he had a couple guys who he swore never shot their pistol between qualifications. I have taken his experiences to be generalizable, but they may not be.

Here's where I am going with this: If some officers are having trouble qualifying with smaller calibers, won't a 45 simply exacerbate the issue? Thoughts?

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Correct me if I am wrong:

The majority of LEO aren't necessarily "gun people".
    LEO that shoot beyond the amount imposed by their department are unquestionably in the minority.
    There are LEO on every department that barely qualify.

If any of these statements are unfair, I am willing to hear the rebuttal.

A hunting buddy is a LEO, was formerly the firearms instructor before he realized that it was a PITA. Part of his challenge as firearms instructor was to work with the guys who couldn't qualify. I cannot remember if it was every six months, or annually, but he had a couple guys who he swore never shot their pistol between qualifications. I have taken his experiences to be generalizable, but they may not be.

Here's where I am going with this: If some officers are having trouble qualifying with smaller calibers, won't a 45 simply exacerbate the issue? Thoughts?

I have fired all 4 glock 40 models(none compensated) and the 21 and 30. The best 40 was the long slide(can't remember the number), but the 30 is more controllable and more accurate. the 21 felt fantastic. I am a bit prejudice towards the 40, but I feel they tend to have too much snap to them.

I am nothing close to an expert, just reporting my findings.

btw fenway, maybe i should say an accurate glock 40....lol edit: that isn't a long slide

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

the recoil impulse of the 45 is more of a push as opposed to the snap of the 40. many shoot the 45 better because of this. this is true for me. first shot, it doesn't matter what the caliber may be, but subsequent shots....

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    the recoil impulse of the 45 is more of a push as opposed to the snap of the 40. many shoot the 45 better because of this. this is true for me. first shot, it doesn't matter what the caliber may be, but subsequent shots....

thank you, I couldn't think of how to put that. my 357sig is sort of snappy, but easier to manage than a 40

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Never had much trouble shooting the 40's we have, but I'm looking forward to be able to get free or cheap 45 ammo after the switch. I have found ammo to be a big factory in shooting my 22. We have went throught some hot ammo while testing.

As far a LEO and shooting. It would be unfair to say most officer's can't shoot. I have brought a few officer's over the yeasr to USPSA matches and they held their own and did very well for a first match. We do have a few officer's that are not "gun" guys. They only go to the range as required by the department. If you ask one of these guys a computer or law question they are right on it.

I personal enjoy shooting and firearms which helps me being LEO. This is the only way I could ever get my hands on an auto MP5.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Some counties are moving from carry what you own to one standard gun. I really did like shooting the Sig P226 9mm just wont like the holster I get with it Thrusday.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Well it take about a year to get the new guns and leather. The department I work for has now switched from the 40 S&W to the 45 ACP round. Everyone is issued a Glock 21sf and all give a choice between the Glock 30sf or 36 for backup carry. I take the 36 and love carrying it both at work and off duty. So for I have enjoyed the change over and have no issue with the 21sf or 36.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That's good to hear. Personally I think the 45 acp cal glocks are easier to shoot accurately than the 40's too. I'm glad to hear you switched. I'm sure you'll see shooting scores improve

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Well it take about a year to get the new guns and leather. The department I work for has now switched from the 40 S&W to the 45 ACP round. Everyone is issued a Glock 21sf and all give a choice between the Glock 30sf or 36 for backup carry. I take the 36 and love carrying it both at work and off duty. So for I have enjoyed the change over and have no issue with the 21sf or 36.

Let us know if you guys run into issues with the 30SF and 36. I've seen a couple issues with both pop up. Not so much with recent production guns, but a while back both had some failure to return to battery issues. :ingo:

Top Bottom