• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I can understand the depleating higher caliber ammo in the stores, namely Walmart, because of the impending outlawing of assault weapons. What I dont understand is the stores, namely Walmart, being out of 22LR, 9mm, 38sp. ammo. Why is everyone stocking up on those calibers? Hand guns were not mentioned in the possible banning, were they?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can understand the depleating higher caliber ammo in the stores, namely Walmart, because of the impending outlawing of assault weapons. What I dont understand is the stores, namely Walmart, being out of 22LR, 9mm, 38sp. ammo. Why is everyone stocking up on those calibers? Hand guns were not mentioned in the possible banning, were they?

A lot of different proposed legislation bans various semiautomatic pistols. Seems like I read about DA revolvers as well.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Its kind of like everyone buying bread and milk before any forecasted snow storm. Hate to be hungry and nothing to put on the table

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Because people are, well, stupid. I overheard some nitwit talk about how Obama (not NY) signed a 7 round max mag capacity. People think all sorts of things, only skim over facts before stating themselves as experts in matters. They give disinformation and go from there. Soon, a potential AWB to some and not reading all the details turns into "dem dare A-T-EFF is gonna kick in yer door and killt yer childrun"!! Gag-eth unto me with a spoon...

Also, when A TON more people go out and buy guns, that adds MANY more "mouths to feed" so to speak. People want to naturally buy ammo for their new purchases, thus depleting the existing supply.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nothing to do with any ban, real or imagined, but .22LR is hard to come by because just about everyone who shot standard caliber stuff went to .22LR because it is more affordable. Enough people going to .22LR = shortage.

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    Nothing to do with any ban, real or imagined, but .22LR is hard to come by because just about everyone who shot standard caliber stuff went to .22LR because it is more affordable. Enough people going to .22LR = shortage.

I will second that. I love shooting my 1911 and M4 both chambered in .22lr !! And the best part, I can actually afford it, and not feel bad after shooting all afternoon, about the money I just spent.

schick84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Boone County
    I'm wondering the same thing, two nights ago lebanon walmart had 4 boxes of .40 and 2 boxes of .45acp. Store clerk said the 10 boxes of 9mm they got sold in less than an hour.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Well as I see it, ammo just keeps getting more expensive. The last time (and it was the last time) that I was in Dicks, they had .38 Special on sale for a decent price so I bought the six boxes that they had left. It's going for more today then it did then...

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A lot of the people buying now are buying due to fear. It makes them feel secure to have a lot of ammunition. This especially applies to people paying the extortionist prices for some rifle calibers right now.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Walmart has been continually out of standard handgun and 22lr for years. I remember searching for that stuff at Walmart while still in college because they were the ones open at 8pm and that was the best time for me to go shopping. It was always a hassle finding it, and if they had more then 2 boxes they had a limit on how much you can buy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The rumor* I heard is that ammo mfgrs. are shifting resources from rimfire to centerfire ammo production.

My guess is that runs on ammo is contagious and spreads from caliber to caliber. Eventually, buyers will be broke and things will settle down.

* I can't verify this at all and please keep this disclaimer when you pass on this rumor. Oh, and lifetime LTCH's are going away.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The rumor* I heard is that ammo mfgrs. are shifting resources from rimfire to centerfire ammo production.

My guess is that runs on ammo is contagious and spreads from caliber to caliber. Eventually, buyers will be broke and things will settle down.

* I can't verify this at all and please keep this disclaimer when you pass on this rumor. Oh, and lifetime LTCH's are going away.
    I've always been told this is true in every panic. Centerfire always comes back before rimfire. This is why it's suggested when the supply is back everyone should get a small stash to prepare for the next panic. Don't buy it now at a jacked up price, it will return in a few months at a normal rate. If you see a good deal snatch it up though.

jimmywine81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Meijer on 38th has mostly shotgun shells and handgun ammo. They also had 8 boxes of 7.62, but im not paying $20 on 20 rnds! But NO 22lr

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Also gotta feed all those new guns and shooters out there. I have modest stock of ammo but I haven't wanted to use any of it recently since I can't readily replace it. Been thinking of getting into reloading but the locusts have moved onto that too.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI

I agree...that is what I did. I purchased more .22LR a few weeks ago, so at least I had something to shoot at the range. I figured this would happen. It went from a shortage of .223..7.62x39...9mm....45 and down the line.

Top Bottom