• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I was just wondering if anyone had any information concerning this. If I was to get diagnosed with depression and put on medication, would it directly affect my ability to be a gun owner/carrier? I would hate to lose my license to conceal because I have a disease that I can't control.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me on this.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just guessing, but depression won't lose your LTCH. If your depression gets you suicidal, homicidal, or admitted to inpatient facilities for severe depression that might be a different thing. Meds are one thing, but a good counselor and learning methods and ways to improve your mood and determining triggers can be very helpful as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a cousin who is clinically depressed and diagnosed as OCD. His depression does not involve harming himself or others. He talked with this physiologist and the Dr did not recommend he get rid of his guns.

If the depression doesn't lead to wanting to harm others or yourself I don't see gun ownership as a problem. If it involves wanting to harm yourself or others then I would put my weapons in the custody of someone trusted and seek help. This is JMHO. And IANAL or a Dr.

HD is giving you great advice. Listen to him.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Thanks for all the information guys and I've been reading up more online about it too. I'm not asking because I'm suicidal or anything close to that, I just have my bad days and when I have them the people around me suffer more than anything else....and my wife has just asked me to talk to a doctor about depression because that's what she believes is my problem.

The only reason I even asked about gun ownership and depression is I know on the application for licensing, there is the question "Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness" and I would hate for depression to fall into that category and it affect me being a gun owner.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Realizing you have depression is the first step to dealing with it. This is info is coming from someone that has dealt with it. Me! I never hurt someone physically nor did i want too. But like you I notice I was being hard on those around me with my behavior. I talked with a physiologist for about 6 months. It made me aware of my behavior. I deal with things much better now. Mine was from losing my health and then losing my wife to cancer.

I wish you well. I have been there. Hang in there and talk to someone about it (physiologist) or listen to the people around you and adjust your behavior accordingly(this worked the best for me). I wish you the best!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Its uaually when you are involuntarily committed that they start takingg stuff away. My friend put down that she had depression and was on meds and she got her ltch

Top Bottom