• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Deputy handcuffs 8-year-old student and watches as he sobs in agony - Police State USA

COVINGTON, KY — A shocking video shows how a third-grader in public school, who suffered from ADHD and other special needs, was shackled above his elbows by a police officer as he writhed and screamed in agony.

“Now you can either behave the way you know you’re supposed to, or you can suffer the consequences,” Kenton County Deputy Sheriff Kevin Sumner said as he stared down at the sobbing boy.

The boy, age 8, is identified only as S.R. in a federal lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Children’s Law Center, and Dinsmore & Shohl. A second victim, a 9-year-old girl identified as L.G., faced similar treatment by the same school resource officer.

The lawsuit alleges that the two child victims were so small that the deputy locked the handcuffs around their biceps and forced their hands behind their backs. L.G. faced this treatment on two occasions.

Both children were being punished for behavior related to their disabilities, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a history of trauma, and other special needs. Neither was arrested nor charged with any criminal conduct.

“Shackling children is not okay. It is traumatizing, and in this case it is also illegal,” said Susan Mizner, disability counsel for the ACLU. “Using law enforcement to discipline students with disabilities only serves to traumatize children. It makes behavioral issues worse and interferes with the school’s role in developing appropriate educational and behavioral plans for them.”

[video=youtube;JRfaivKu7bg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=382&v=JRfaivKu7bg[/video]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Whatever!
    Special needs? My ass.
    They say whatever works for them. ACLU is now mad......good. Means someone is doing something right. :yesway:
    I like the good old days when teachers could beat the snot out of brats in the classroom or the dean's office.

You guys need to find a less bias source. "Police State USA" - Really?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    They called the Sheriff on an 8yr old??? And they responded??? So much fail in this before the cuffs came out.

ADHD...probably meant he squirmed in his seat and looked out the window because he was bored to tears sitting in front of a boring instructor. Must medicate them to be pliant, will punish if it doesn't work.

Though I must say some teachers did this sort of thing when I was in grade school...but they never called the police to respond to a disciplinary problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Lord knows that no 8 year old has ever flown into a frenzy and hurt himself or others. Just letting him do whatever he wanted or bear hugging him would have been better? Based on this video, how could that ever be known? This minimizes anyone having their hands on the kid and if restraint was appropriate, that's a good thing.

Clever starting the video so we can't see what led up to this.

Cue the: "if that was my kid, I'd kick their ***" crowd. Sure you would.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Dead Duck said:
    Special needs? My ass.

You don't believe that there is such a thing?

Dead Duck said:
    I like the good old days when teachers could beat the snot out of brats in the classroom or the dean's office.

I don't even trust public school teachers to tell my kids how to add two numbers together properly.

I sure as hell don't trust them to physically discipline them.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    HoughMade said:
    Lord knows that no 8 year old has ever flown into a frenzy and hurt himself or others. Just letting him do whatever he wanted or bear hugging him would have been better? Based on this video, how could that ever be known? This minimizes anyone having their hands on the kid and if restraint was appropriate, that's a good thing.

"On no occasion was there an imminent danger of physical harm to the child or anyone else that required Defendant Sumner to handcuff the child behind the back above the elbow."

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Whatever!
    Special needs? My ass.
    They say whatever works for them. ACLU is now mad......good. Means someone is doing something right. :yesway:

You guys need to find a less bias source. "Police State USA" - Really?

Agreed. These kids were getting exactly what they needed, probably for the first time in their lives. ADHD? Nonsense. A manufactured "illness" that a good belt will cure 100% of the time. I'm so very tired of the whining liberals and media who have destroyed parents and school's ability to properly discipline kids.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The ignorance displayed here is astonishing.

ADHD is quite real. Discipline does not 'cure' it.

The poor kid was also diagnosed with PTSD, too. Should we discuss what sort of life events occur for an 8-year old to result in such a diagnosis? Do you think you guys could conjure up any sort of human empathy if we did have that discussion?

ETA: Here's some science: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/brain-studies-show-adhd-real-disease/story?id=4508193

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Todays bunch are willing to allow toddlers, children and youth rule the roost. The best thing anyone can learn is the limits. Sometimes kids have to have hard limits to push back against. The reason cops have to be in schools is because the people whose child rearing philosphies do not work, pass the buck to law enforcement. WHat counted as regular disciple in Chicago/Region Catholic shools when I grew up would make the twitter generation cry into their pillows. But we did learn how to act like adults, learn to be functional in society, provide for ourselves and others as well as become law abiding citizens. Todays methods are raising lazy people with no direction or common sense that cannot even pull their pants up, let alone make mature, responsible judgments on life's issues.

I watched the video several time. The officer was carefully instructing the child that he had the option to be decide to act properly and enjoy freedom, but that deciding to act improperly will result in less freedom. I have no problem with that message or the officers actions.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. These kids were getting exactly what they needed, probably for the first time in their lives. ADHD? Nonsense. A manufactured "illness" that a good belt will cure 100% of the time. I'm so very tired of the whining liberals and media who have destroyed parents and school's ability to properly discipline kids.

There's a lot of truth in what you say.

My elementary school years began in 1962.
    There was no "ADHD" or anything else as an excuse for misbehavior in those days.

If a kid got too out of control, they often got sent to the hall and got the "board of education" across their butt.

They were told they WILL sit there, they WILL be quiet and they WILL pay attention.
    I NEVER saw it not work.

I myself can remember in my early elementary years having to stand in the corner, go stand in the hall, and I got my share of whippin's too.

AND if I got a whippin' at school, I got ANOTHER one when I got home.

In 3rd grade, I remember getting a little mouthy and getting a hard slap across the face by the teacher as I sat at my desk.

And MOST important, parents in those days took the side of the teacher and backed them up, instead of whining about their poor little innocent angel who COULDN'T have done what they say.

Classrooms had order and learning in those days.

This carried through high school too, as we had teachers who would and could kick your ass if they had to.
    But that rarely happened because most guys weren't stupid enough to test them.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Leo said:
    I watched the video several time. The officer was carefully instructing the child that he had the option to be decide to act properly and enjoy freedom, but that deciding to act improperly will result in less freedom. I have no problem with that message.

The message is fine. The delivery is wrong.

Anybody who knows anything about handling children with behavioral disorders knows that this was completely wrong. Anybody who doesn't should go back to extorting money from commuters on the side of the road and leave the children to people with brains.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    ADHD is real. Not all cases diagnosed as ADHD are really that. "The Belt" does not solve all disciplinary problems. Failing to properly apply discipline does cause problems. I agree that modern day teachers are not competent nor trustworthy enough to apply corporal punishment.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I know of many people with ADHD, my son has ADHD. This is NOT acceptable. There are physical differences. This officer would not have liked my responce and I would most likely have been arrested for dealing with that child abuser as a parent should have.

I'm usually not on the side of the ACLU. This case I'm 100% on their side.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Birds Away said:
    ADHD is real. Not all cases diagnosed as ADHD are really that. "The Belt" does not solve all disciplinary problems. Failing to properly apply discipline does cause problems. I agree that modern day teachers are not competent nor trustworthy enough to apply corporal punishment.

I can't find anything here to argue with.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Since I don't have the full story, I'm of 2 minds on this:
    1) If kids are so unruly, undisciplined, and disruptive that the School Resource Officer needs called, what do you THINK is gonna happen? I stern finger wagging?
    2) If kids really DO have special needs that cannot be managed in the public school, maybe a different environment would be more suitable?

I've known of both cases "back in the day". Kids so disruptive that they were forcibly hauled out of the school and put in a squad car, and kids that were pulled from school and "institutionalized" until they were in a more appropriate state of mind.

At least they weren't transgendered exotic animals with oppressed ancestors. Think of the outcry.....

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The message is fine. The delivery is wrong.

Anybody who knows anything about handling children with behavioral disorders knows that this was completely wrong. Anybody who doesn't should go back to extorting money from commuters on the side of the road and leave the children to people with brains.

What you are stating is your opinion, likely influenced by your own upbringing, education, and environment. What we're saying is that your opinion, your understanding of what's "real", is incorrect. ADHD, and the other excuses for poor behavior, are nothing more than crutches built by liberals to explain away the natural outcome of their hellbent crusade to destroy proper discipline of children in America. There is no ADHD. What there definitely is, however, is a society that is quickly dying as a result of the removal of a parent's ability to properly discharge their responsibility to discipline their kids. And, yes, that includes whacking their butts.

If you want any credibility in a discussion of such, refrain from quoting sources like ABC News. You couldn't become irrelevant in a discussion of liberal nonsense any faster than by quoting liberals. The "fix" is in for such nonsense these days.....the liberals, the media, and the "doctors" who very much want a new "illness" to treat (and make billions doing it) are the problem. They're destroying our country.

Educate yourself again from the beginning and from better sources. Start by avoiding the nonsense you find at the other end of links from places like ABC News......

Top Bottom