• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Anyone who carries a gun for personal protection or for a living or is thinking of carrying a gun for self defense or as part of your job, pay attention to this video. There are some great lessons learned, lessons taught and points to consider when choosing this way of life.

MOUNT GILEAD, Ohio --

It was a chaotic scene Oct. 21, 2010, when Morrow County sheriff's Deputy Brandon Moore was shot four times -- once in the groin, through his vest and into his ribs and in his left foot and leg.

Moore still is recovering, and in June he will be honored nationally as the Deputy Sheriff of the Year.

Sheriff Steve Brenneman nominated Moore for his actions that saved the lives of several people during the October shootout with Shane Roush.

Deputy Moore recounted to NBC4 how the shootout started.

"About two steps after I got out of the door of my SUV, I heard the pop, pop, pop of a rifle behind me. Then, I started feeling these burning hits on my body."

"It felt like an eternity as your realizing what is happening," said Moore. "I tried to run and only made it a few steps before collapsing."

Moore said he experienced fear, doubt and panic -- and so many things were just shooting through his mind all at once -- but at the same time, his brain was screaming.

"When I hit the ground, my training kicked in."

"I reached for my gun and everything became extremely calm," said Moore. "There was nothing but my gun and the guy who was trying to kill me."

According to Moore, most of the shooting between he and Roush happened near the Blazer.

Roush was shooting at Moore with a rifle, and Moore was returning fire with his sidearm.

"I was shooting underneath my Blazer," said Moore.

He said Roush shot out the back window and rear tires, trying to hit Moore who was on the ground, using the front tires and engine as protection.

Moore said Roush started to move around the SUV, but instead of firing at Moore, he shot at the farm family near the grain silos.

"I expended my last couple of rounds of ammunition in my gun, and then he was on the ground, waving his hands in surrender," said Moore. "It was the last bullet in my gun that ended the fight."

After the shooting, Moore took off his belt, put a tourniquet on his own leg and made a call that all law-enforcement spouses dread.

"I wanted her to know that I loved her, and if it was my final conversation with her, then she needed to know that my thoughts were of her at the time," said Moore.

Now, after three major surgeries and physical therapy Moore is on the road to recovery.

"It was very grueling there at the beginning and I have the feeling once I get started on the foot just by how it's feeling right now, it's going to get painful again, but the Lord gets you through it."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2_N0kWEGs"]YouTube - RAW INTERVIEW: Brandon Moore[/ame]

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    He deserves Deputy of the year, that's a lot to go through. I don't think I could set that calmly and tell the story if it were me.

Surprised he didn't have any reloads, and lucky for him he didn't need one but was out of bullets probably without the bad guy knowing.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    According to some on here,probably just another untrained,civil rights violating JBT helping wage a illegal war on the dope heads

Hell of a guy there IMHO. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. And I hope the dope head goes away for a long time and shares a cell with big bubba.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Why was his back to the vehicle he stopped? I don't think I have seen stops with the officer parked to the front of the suspect. Does this happen often?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Why was his back to the vehicle he stopped? I don't think I have seen stops with the officer parked to the front of the suspect. Does this happen often?

He didn't pull anyone over, he was on private property investigating the neighbor growing pot. The neighbor seen what was happening and started shooting.

According to some on here,probably just another untrained,civil rights violating JBT helping wage a illegal war on the dope heads
    I'll say it. If our congressmen would wake up we could stop fighting this endless drug war and putting our officers in this kind of danger. I am in no way implying the BG had a right to do what he did either, and hope the BG gets the gas chamber.

Hell of a guy there IMHO. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. And I hope the dope head goes away for a long time and shares a cell with big bubba.
    :yesway:

Last edited:

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Actually he was there because they had received a complaint that the suspect was refusing to allow a farmer to access the farmer's fields. The suspect had parked his truck sideways across a choke point and refused to move. When the officer arrived and spoke with the farmer, he advised him of the ongoing dispute with the suspect and a grow operation he had seen from his combine. The officer spoke with the suspect and thought he had convinced him to move his truck. As he was walking back to his truck to get his camera for the separate investigation of the grow, the suspect shot him. The officer had planned to go with the farmer into the farmer's field so he could show him the grow.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Carry enough gun & ammunition.
    Don't be the first to run out of ammunition.

I carry so much in my car that I have been accused of being paranoid. I guess it equals out to 390 5.56 rounds loaded in mags in a MOLLE setup. I have from 40 grain TAP up to 77 BHM for my M16 and for my precision scope mounted Noveske AR. Three loaded Glock 22 mags on my person and two mounted on my door were I can get them either seated or standing outside my door. A Glock 23 in my seat mounted carry all bag, easily assessable while seated. I have always had a concern of having to fire from my drivers seat while seated and belted in. My J Frame S&W five shot with a speed strip reload on my person. My 870 with various amounts of slugs,buck and bird shot loads. Different tools for different jobs IMO. Paranoid? Nope not at all. One of my biggest concerns is if something protracted goes down my shift partners will need some ammo. They generally carry the bare minimum IMO. I ain't gonna be running out of any ammo period.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Anyone who carries a gun for personal protection or for a living or is thinking of carrying a gun for self defense or as part of your job, pay attention to this video. There are some great lessons learned, lessons taught and points to consider when choosing this way of life.

Choosing this way of life? I few years ago I was carjacked, beaten, shot and left in the street. Getting shot hurts, but the worst thing for me was the feeling of helplessness because I wasn't armed. I'd take a gunfight over that any day, and I would advocate that people choose a way of life that allows them to defend themselves.

Great job on the officer's part and hopefully he makes a full recovery. Definitely some accurate insight on what happens after getting shot.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Choosing this way of life? I few years ago I was carjacked, beaten, shot and left in the street. Getting shot hurts, but the worst thing for me was the feeling of helplessness because I wasn't armed. I'd take a gunfight over that any day, and I would advocate that people choose a way of life that allows them to defend themselves.

What I was getting at is that there is more to carrying a gun than just carrying a gun. Certain people believe that by just owning a gun they are prepared to use it to take a life or defend one. Owning the firearm is only the first step. Training, mindset, and knowing the end result of actions taken are far more important.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    What I was getting at is that there is more to carrying a gun than just carrying a gun. Certain people believe that by just owning a gun they are prepared to use it to take a life or defend one. Owning the firearm is only the first step. Training, mindset, and knowing the end result of actions taken are far more important.

This is true. I just wanted to point out that not carrying is a far worse alternative. Looking back, my comment came off combative when I didn't intend that. Apologies.

Top Bottom