• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I debated whether to post this here, or in the accessories section. Reckon if it needs moved, it will be.

Like a lot of women, Cathy has struggled to find a holster that is comfy for her. Many of the holsters I like simply suck for her. They poke her in the ribs, ride so high she ends up with her elbow in her ear while trying to draw, etc. Ya'll are familiar with the issues.

We stopped by Applied Ballistics today to see if they had any holsters for our guns. They had two that would fit her Bersa, a Don Hume JIT and a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard. She's used the JIT before, and was initially leaning toward it because she likes it, and it was half the price of the DeSantis, but after trying the DeSantis on she really liked it. She also liked the thumb break and the tension screw. Both of these offer extra security walking around day to day, and especially when we are out in the woods.

She's been wearing it all day. She's leaned side to side, twisted, turned, and made some funny contortions trying to get it to poke her. She finds the draw fast and comfortable. It's got a more extreme cant than many other designs, which means she isn't chicken winging it to get the gun out, without having to have the holster ride low. It rides tight and comfy on her. It's only been a day, but she's pleased with the holster, and recommends other women at least check them out. It shows up a bit under the t-shirt she was wearing, but worse in the pictures than in person. I've used DeSantis holsters before. They are tough and comfy, and some of my favorites.

Now to get her a good belt....

DesantisThumbreakScabbardforBersaThunder380001.jpg

DesantisThumbreakScabbardforBersaThunder380002.jpg

DesantisThumbreakScabbardforBersaThunder380003.jpg

DesantisThumbreakScabbardforBersaThunder380004.jpg

DesantisThumbreakScabbardforBersaThunder380005.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I/we use something very similar for the 1911 and I love it, particularly because of the thumb break and tension screw. I only wish I was more comfortable carrying the 1911. I'm just a little too attached to it to want it confiscated for evidence or something. :nailbite:

I'm sure you know this, and I don't don't mean to insult intelligence levels, but I noticed two things. The forward cant can be alleviated a bit by using the innermost forward belt slot in the holster. I realize that may have been her purposeful choice, but in case others aren't aware, the two slots make it easier to adjust for the proper ride and fit.

The second one is more of a question than a comment, I suppose. Did she happen to miss the belt loop at her 3o'clock? I noticed in the second pic the holster and belt seem to sag a bit as if it weren't supported there. I know on most of my jeans the belt loops are located such that the belt travels through the rear holster belt slot, then the belt loop, then the forward holster belt slot. Most of that is due to where I wear the holster but also because having the belt in a belt loop sandwiched between the holster belt slots maximizes the support. And Glocks ain't exactly light. ;)

I'm glad she likes it. And thanks for the review. :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip I know on most of my jeans the belt loops are located such that the belt travels through the rear holster belt slot, then the belt loop, then the forward holster belt slot. snip

That's how both she and I do it, also. The belt is sagging for two reasons: One is that the belt isn't adequate. Two is that she was still insisting on wearing her belt pathetically loose. I've since nagged her out of that habit... not easy. She hates wearing belts to begin with LOL.

The three belt slot design is neat. She likes the holster the way it is. I prefer a more neutral can't, and this holster gives the option of wearing it either way. She really likes the more radical cant of the DeSantis design, it's part of what makes the holster comfy for her because it makes the butt of the gun ride along her side in the way she likes, without poking.

Top Bottom