• ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Desiccant(silica gel) save some money

For anyone that is interested, you can make your own dehumidifying packets yourself cheap. You can go to most hobby stores and by silica gel.(used for drying flowers) About $6 for 1.5lbs. By some small ziplock bags from there and poke holes in them and fill them up. They have the blue/pink indicators and you can recharge them in the microwave. They work great for ammo cans.

You could put the silica in a sock or cloth bag or film container so long as the silcica gets air to it. If you are not sure if the bag or container is microwavable you can dump it into a microwave bowl and once dry put back in container of choice.

Have done some testing with microwaving the color changing desiccant to dry it out. Microwaved it for 5 minutes and dried it out just fine. It is still absorbing moisture as it is supposed too. DO NOT however use a plastic microwavable bowl, it will heat up and melt right through it. Use glass microwavable bowls or just use a cookie sheet and the oven. The amount I dried out is what fits in an ordinary film container spread out on the bottom of a bowl. Just started using film containers yesterday after poking holes in them with a tack.

I repeat, do not use plastic bowls, the desiccant will heat up and melt through most microwave safe plastic bowls.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Thanks for the information.How long would it last and how long do you put it in the micro?
    I just started making my own last week so not sure how long before they will need to be dried out. Not sure how long it will take them to dry out, I guess it will be a test as you go until the crystals turn blue again. Do not microwave them in the ziplock bags because the bags will melt. Put the desiccant in a microwavable container.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    We just got some new furniture and it came with a ton of desiccants. Can I just throw those bags in the oven or microwave?

I like that with your design, they show when they need to be recharged.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There are several silica based cat litters which are pure silica and work great for a lot less money. Fill a couple old socks or knee high hose, tie off and toss in the safe.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How long do you have to microwave it? How can you tell when it's "done" (if you don't have the color-changing kind)?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    How long do you have to microwave it? How can you tell when it's "done" (if you don't have the color-changing kind)?

Not sure how long you need to microwave it. the bag has instructions on drying in the oven(about 1 hour @200) but it failed to say how long for microwave. I have a bag sitting on my desk now at home. As soon as them crystals turn pink I will experiment and let ya know. And I will edit my first post too.

Crap shoot on the non color changing kind because how would you know when they needed to be dried.

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    You can also use a coffee filter and rubber band to close them. Cheap and easy. Look at Ebay the dessicant is usually cheap and with free shipping beats the price at the store. I open mine every month to see crystal color. Instructions for drying are on the package the stuff came in. I use several larger ones in the gun safe and small amounts in the ammo cans.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ovens will work much better for drying than a microwave because in a microwave, you cannot accurately determine the temperature of the gel. If you get it too warm, it will lose it's hydroscopic properties. Then all you have are little plasticy pellets.

Put it on cookie sheets & spread it evenly. Put it in an oven @ 200F for a few hours (more, or less depending on the volume of gel you're drying) If it's really moist, open the oven door while heating to help facilitate water removal.

Remove & store in air-tight containers until ready to be used.

-J-

Top Bottom