• ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    subscribing.

i always loved the idea of a seperate "sub-basement" with a "bank-vault" type door.

since that isnt possible, i would look into whatever kind of reinforcements you can put into the walls, specifically around any windows and doors. if possible, you coudl pour some cement underneath the door, and use some brass or other metal rods to lock the door.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Kirk,

Many, many variables here.

I believe a LOT would depend upon the purpose of the room, not just the contents. There would be a wide gap between a "mancave" gunroom and a "reloading/working" gun room. One would be for socializing, the other for guns and gunwork.

The reason I see this as important is because he is being thoughtful and designing it from scratch! Ergo, it cannot be a workroom / reloading room / socializing mancave room all at the same time. Caveat: IF he has craptons of money to burn then my premise does not apply.

If he is wanting a "mancave" room then I think I would look at nice wood paneled walls, good lighting, an open space for friends to sit and relax while having a beer. Maybe some ventilation if they are going to smoke some cigars or pipes. In other words, comfy.

If he is wanting a "workroom" gun room then I would focus on shelving, storage, and work bench space. I wouldn't worry as much about an open area to socialize as I would in the mancave. In the workroom gunroom lighting would be more important in the workspace(s) and not so much in the overall room. You could back off on comfort and go with functionality.

In both I would want to put in a special location for a dehumidifier. In the "mancave" version I would like it covered by sound soundproofing in the corner to keep the noise level down. In the workroom maybe just the far corner would do. Either way, I would put in dedicated drainage/plumbing for the water to go away.

I would not want a window that is easy to peer into in either design. Security would be important in either design. In both designs making certain a home security system is in place. If he has a LOT wrapped up in value then perhaps even consulting with a security company before building. They may have some simple thoughts that would be best implemented from the ground up, so to speak.

In the mancave version I would make certain to put in extra outlets around the room. He may later want to change the layout. I don't think that would be as important in the workroom version.

This wouldn't be in the gunroom itself, but since he is thinking about having one it might be good to look at putting in camera monitors internally and externally. Then make certain the video storage is WAY out in the garage locked up tighter than crap or somewhere that if there were a breakin the thieves couldn't get the guns and the video in the same place.

In both I would have some space set aside for bookshelves. I love having a firearms library and in either variation of the room it would be good to have books ready to grab.

The pics Riflemen14 posted show some very different uses for a gun room.

Pic #1 seems to be an entertainment room for one (1) person with an uber computer entertainment system and just guns on the wall, nothing more.
    Pic #2 seems to be storage, with maybe(?) a work area to one side. Not really an entertainment room, display and/or work room at most.
    Pic #3 is definitely a mancave. Sofa and chairs facing TV(?), room to socialize surrounded by the firepower of the ages.
    Pic #4 looks to be nothing more than a closet or storage room. A place to keep guns and nothing else.
    Pic #5 is a very nice little mancave. A place for buds to meet, watch the game, drink a beer. All surrounded by the wonderful artwork of modern death hanging on the wall.

Anyways, just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Good luck to your friend.

Regards,

Doug

PS - You do know that pics of the finished room will be required when the room is fully packed, right?;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    QFT!! There are many break ins in this area and guns are stolen all the time. Just read the local police reports.

I believe Starke County has recently moved into the number one slot for meth busts in the past year so this is a valid concern. I have found at least three or four labs that were left in our woods over the past several years. After the one idiot tried to outrun the cops and his car exploded, they stopped being left behind "the tree". It was pretty obvious they were left by the same person since they were in the exact same spot every time I found one.

Bear-Trap.jpg

:whistle:

Attachments

• Bear-Trap.jpg
      Bear-Trap.jpg
      8.5 KB · Views: 1

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    A little over two years ago I built onto my home and I added among other rooms I added a gun room. Mine has the safe , shelving for ammo cans, gun boxes and other items as well as a bench for cleaning and working on guns and has bends for all the small crap. I also have a vertical long gun rack to hold overflow long guns and wood ammo boxes for extra holsters and such. soft cases are hung on the wall as well as shooting vests and aprons. The room is hidden and would be very hard for anyone to even know it is there. In fact when it was all done I had a good friend who knew I was building it come over and see if he could locate it and after a 1/2 hour he gave up. The room is 12' x 5' in size.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

That guy hasn't been back since he went to prison. He was driving at a very high rate of speed with his lights off being chased by the cops. He crested a hill, hit a tree and the car blew into a lot of pieces. His buddy that was in the passenger seat was killed when his seat got hit (I believe by the copy car if I remember correctly). Yeah...that was a bad night to be a druggie.

I still watch for backpacks, coolers, totes, etc. in my woods on a regular basis, but haven't had to sit with my gun guarding one until the cops got here to take over for a while now.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I still watch for backpacks, coolers, totes, etc. in my woods on a regular basis, but haven't had to sit with my gun guarding one until the cops got here to take over for a while now.

Why do you hate Liberty? They are just chemicals! Oops, wrong thread.

Anywho, thanks for the ideas so far. It will be on the 1st floor (not ground or basement). Not sure why everyone wants to put guns near water, but I should talk, my gun room is in my basement.:D It certainly makes ammo deliveries easier to have it where I have it.

It will have a vault door and be on the 1st floor, but that is as far as he is. I told him about how cops do it, like those movable peg walls. He does not reload so there won't be any presses and hunting is forbidden, but table(s) are a must for sorting stuff out. I told him that 1st line and 2nd line stuff should be together just for ease of sorting if not for the End of the World. Shelves and hooks for keeping stuff orderly.

I was thinking along utilitarian lines, not "mancave", with couches and overstuffed chairs. But always good to "crowdsorce" it as the kids say.

Deaddogwalkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Build the room inside the basement during construction, easier temperature and moisture control than underground outside. 10 inch concrete walls and ceiling with a 1 inch steel vault door poured into the walls with rebar attached to the frame. Inside room is 10x15 which is plenty of room to hang guns and gear on the walls and still have space for a couple work/reloading benches. Here is a peak into mine, which is not totally finished, but it has electric and a dehumidifier. P.S. I built my door, and would build another one if someone was interested. 20150215_085120.jpg 20150215_085153.jpg 20150215_085322.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why do you hate Liberty? They are just chemicals! Oops, wrong thread.

Anywho, thanks for the ideas so far. It will be on the 1st floor (not ground or basement). Not sure why everyone wants to put guns near water, but I should talk, my gun room is in my basement.:D It certainly makes ammo deliveries easier to have it where I have it.

It will have a vault door and be on the 1st floor, but that is as far as he is. I told him about how cops do it, like those movable peg walls. He does not reload so there won't be any presses and hunting is forbidden, but table(s) are a must for sorting stuff out. I told him that 1st line and 2nd line stuff should be together just for ease of sorting if not for the End of the World. Shelves and hooks for keeping stuff orderly.

I was thinking along utilitarian lines, not "mancave", with couches and overstuffed chairs. But always good to "crowdsorce" it as the kids say.

But why does he need a gun room then? My liberal friends keep telling me the 2A is just for hunting. If he isnt hunting, why does he need guns?

Top Bottom