• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Those of you who shoot, or have shot AR's with a detachable carry handle, what kind of accuracy do you get out of those once zeroed in and how well does the zero hold up with or without loctite in your own experience?

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have a detachable on one of my rock rivers. It works fine and holds zero without loctite. And well in terms of accuracy... well its going to be the same as if you were to shoot with a standard carry handle.

IMO, good to have and learn the platform on, but I have no use for an A1 or A2 upper. BUIS do the same job and optics make irons obsolete in most cases. I will always keep a detach CH though, in case i really do need one in a SHTF situation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am curious about this also as I am thinking of getting a carry handle for Appleseed or maybe a High Power Match.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Mine holds zero without loctite, even removing and remounting in same position has been repeatable.

Accuracy, as with any other stable sighting system, is dictated by the combination of shooter and rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The accuracy you see is going to depend on you not the carry handle (assuming its attached solidly). If its mounted properly it wont loose zero, or anything like that.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    A good optic/sight system is reliant on the quality of Mount... so I suggest you get a good carry handle

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have found that many detachable carry handles are set up for both picatinny and weaver rail systems, and consequently are capable of moving foreward and backward, and ultimately coming loose no matter how tightly you mount them. If they are loose, they are not accurate.
    I resolved the issue with mine by making an alluminum insert for one of the recesses in the picatinny rail to match the screw in the foreward end of the handle. it holds the handle fully foreward in the slot, against the recoil.
    Now, hand tightening the handle brings no more movement issues, and good accuracy. (well, okay,... within my ability to see the bulls eye with my tired old eyes):):

Top Bottom