• ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello all,

I've owned my AR for over 3 years now, I've shot about 8-10k rounds through it and I've thoroughly field stripped and cleaned it after most every use. Over time, I've noticed little nooks and crannies that I just can't get to and I had a thought. Why don't I completely disassemble it and clean it? My question is has anyone been in a similar situation? My intent is to pull every pin and piece off, inspect, clean, and replace parts as needed.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Pilot

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    I have seen the ultrasonic cleaning service in a few gun shops and wondered about the necessity. I have probably put ~1000 rounds through mr SR9 with just field stripping and cleaning without any hitches.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Why are you so determined to get it spotless?

Just lube it and it'll run

It's partly wanting to clean it, partly inspecting it. From time to time I see spots that look like rust, buy I can't be sure until I pull off the pieces and check all contact points.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I like to use the dental-type picks, but I also have a couple of other home-made picks, one with about a 1/6 " flat tip and a similar one with a flat rounded tip for detail cleaning. I like to use those with pieces of patch material to get into the tight spots.

I've used the spray-blast cleaners on trigger groups and things, but I didn't like the film that was left, so now I'll go at those parts with a brush with Hoppes on it, and then after wiping it off, I take it outside and blast with WD-40 to blow out the Hoppes and leftover gunk. Then you can shake it off, dry it, and re-oil.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    ive done it before. actually, every firearm i purchase (new, used, milsurp) gets a complete tear down, clean and lube before it is ever fired.

if you feel like doing it, go right ahead. wont hurt it, unless you break something!

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    ive done it before. actually, every firearm i purchase (new, used, milsurp) gets a complete tear down, clean and lube before it is ever fired.

if you feel like doing it, go right ahead. wont hurt it, unless you break something!

I do have a tendency to bend barrels, bugs bunny style.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Almost forgot [ a old pair of underwear with no elastic left ] for the final wipe down.

Dave? You've come back to life?
    I had a friend that was always using old underwear as rags. You could always find underwear left in the oddest of places where he had been. :):

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    5 gallon bucket, 1 gallon of diesel and some brushes.... You can do 99 percent cleanings w/out the worry of loosing small parts.... Just lube back up after its dry.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've done this before. Is it necessary? Not sure. Give me peace of mind? Yep.

If you feel like doing it, go ahead. Watch those detents. Those puppies will fly!

Top Bottom