• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Don't be afraid at all to start out with a Savage MkII. I have a MKII FV SR that I love and shoot quite a bit to hone skills as far as reading wind, trigger control, ect.. But as mentioned buy the best you can afford, and go to the range. But one bit of advice if you have not had much experience in shooting bolt guns, find someone that has and shoot with them. Reading it on the internet and repeating it at the range without someone that knows what to do is very tough and you wont get as much out of your practice. Im sure there would be a few guys around were you are that wouldn't mind at all to show you a few pointers to get you started. Good luck and shoot safe!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Rounds aren't wind cheaters, bullets are. A 6.5 anything can be stocked with bullets that in relative terms drift a little and bullets that drift a lot, in the same mag.

But your head is in the right place that most of the work is in learning to dope wind. Drop is simple, drift is not.

If I found myself with budgetary constraints and amnesia, and wanted to dabble to see if I would enjoy this shooting thing and/or wanted to learn the rifle, I believe I would go with a Ruger American in 22LR ($240). Glass it with a SWFA 6x MQ scope ($300), its turrets providing 29 mils of erector travel and reticle adding another 10. Sit that on a DIP 25 MOA rail ($30) via whatever rings were handy ($40). Fed ammo making 1300ish FPS this would be capable of putting rounds on targets ~750 yards distant and if faced with a 5 MPH full value wind its operator would be have about 6.5 feet of drift on which to learn. I have a rifle exactly so equipped and I've stretched it a little over half that distance and can confirm it is a hoot for a mere $600 expenditure.

Swap out the 22LR above for 223 Rem and spend the learning phase shooting some slow bullet (anything from Sierra will suffice). That in the books, reward your hard work by buying a reloading press and a pallet of 75 AMax. As the RAR is among the few off the shelf 223 Rem rifles with both the twist and the mag box length to make use of that bullet, you'd be among an elite few best indians with the best arrows.

AHJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Find an Appleseed. That was the greatest way for me to increase my skill level. I had a lot of self taught bad habits that I had to break. Took me five appleseeds to get my Rifleman, but it was worth it, and I plan on attending in the future as my children become marksmen and as I continue to hone my skill. Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22, Mosserg Plinkster are all rifles I have seen people make rifleman with. Heck at the last appleseed I went too, a woman made rifleman with an old Remington pump .22.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    just repetitive muscle memory. If you stick with one rifle and learn it well you will become master of your domain.

Muscle memory isn't a good thing if you practice the wrong techniques. I can practice the granny shot all day every day, thinking it'll make me the best basketball player on the court, but does that mean my technique will be effective when I play? Most likely not

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Shot out to 100yds for the first time in my life this evening at Atterbury. Stockish M&P15 Sport. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Store bought 69gr Winchester Match. Shooting off the bench with a bipod. Average group was 1.42". Best was .75". Not great but not horrible I guess.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    More important than the equipment is the practice. That said if you can afford it get the best you can. I got into NRA Hi Power comp a few years ago . I just decided to go and met a bunch of great people that gave me the best help and advice possible. Get into a regimented shooting sport with whatever type of rifle you choose to go with. I thought I was a pretty good shot until the first match, it was a humbling experience. But given time and practice I improved and just earned my expert ranking. If I can do it anyone can, good luck.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Shot out to 100yds for the first time in my life this evening at Atterbury. Stockish M&P15 Sport. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Store bought 69gr Winchester Match. Shooting off the bench with a bipod. Average group was 1.42". Best was .75". Not great but not horrible I guess.

Nice start. Once you get comfortable operating the equipment off the bench, try standing up and holding your rifle. Don't worry about sub inch groups 100 yard standing, If you can stay under 5 inches at 100 yards that is pretty decent. Maybe try sitting, kneeling and unsupported prone. Marksmanship has lots of depth, enough to keep you challenged the rest of your life.

Top Bottom