• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have found a MG that was dewatted by welding the barrel with a rod inside.. I was wondering if this could be registered as a machine gun? It says it's on a form 5 but I can't seem to figure out what a form 5 is.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    From the NFA handbook

10.1.5 DEWATS. Deactivated War Trophy (DEWAT) firearms are still firearms under the NFA, but
    have been rendered unserviceable (i.e., incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and
    incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition). The deactivation may have been accomplished
    by various means such as (but not limited to) welding of the chamber, cutting the barrel/chamber/breech,
    plugging the barrel, welding the bolt to the chamber, or some combination of these actions which
    rendered the firearm incapable of firing a shot.
    Regardless of being unserviceable, the DEWAT firearm must be registered and approved for transfer as
    any other NFA firearm. The process to transfer a DEWAT is set forth in §479.90. Because the
    DEWAT is unserviceable, it is transferred tax-exempt as a curio or ornament on an ATF Form 5. The
    Form 5 must identify the transferee and transferor, FFL/SOT, any importer, type, model, caliber, overall
    length, gauge, size, serial number or other marks of identification. Additionally, the transferor must
    check the block in item 1 of the Form 5 indicating the unserviceable status of the firearm and answer
    item 4(i) confirming how the firearm has been rendered unserviceable.

10.1.5.1 Reactivation of DEWATS. Deactivated War Trophy (DEWAT) firearms may be
    returned to a serviceable condition. A DEWAT that has been returned to a serviceable condition
    (or reactivated) is often referred to as Reactivated War Trophy (REWAT). The act of returning a
    DEWAT to a serviceable condition is considered the “making” or “manufacturing” of a firearm
    by ATF. The procedures for reactivation by a non-FFL or FFL with other than a manufacturer’s
    SOT status or with no SOT status on Form 1 are found in section 6.6 of the handbook. The
    procedures for reactivation by an FFL with SOT status as a manufacturer are found in section
    7.3.3 of the handbook.

I am going to say it being a machine gun that it can not be reactivated.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I believe If it is currently on a Form 5 it should be able to be REWAT'd for a $200 manufacturing fee on a Form 1 because it is a registered machine gun currently even though it is a DEWAT.

Then if it is ever sold it will go back to a normal form 4 to the new owner as a MG.

Sometimes DEWATS can be had for a steal, but sometimes they are cost prohibative to REWAT.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hmmmmmmmmm. That makes it clear as mud.

The problem is this COULD be a $6,500 WWII era MG.

Or this COULD be a $6,500 wall hanger.

From what I can tell the barrel was welded. I could get it running again for under $1k. It would still save me $10,000.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Hmmmmmmmmm. That makes it clear as mud.

The problem is this COULD be a $6,500 WWII era MG.

Or this COULD be a $6,500 wall hanger.

From what I can tell the barrel was welded. I could get it running again for under $1k. It would still save me $10,000.

My suggestion would be to make an offer contingent on a qualified an expirenced expert inspecting it first (like Frank at AMA in Hagerstown) for a ball park quote on the REWAT.

He is at almost every Indy 1500 and if you are going to possibly hire him for the work would probably give you a ball park quote for free. (my guess)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Would you suggest giving the ATF a call? They have always been helpful to me but they have gone back on previous statements before (cough*akins*cough).

I just can't get these laws figured out.

I already have a parts gun with the parts I need.

The main issue here is can you turn a DEWAT or REWAT into a MG?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    ATF already answered your question.

10.1.5.1 Reactivation of DEWATS. Deactivated War Trophy (DEWAT) firearms may be
    returned to a serviceable condition. A DEWAT that has been returned to a serviceable condition
    (or reactivated) is often referred to as Reactivated War Trophy (REWAT). The act of returning a
    DEWAT to a serviceable condition is considered the “making” or “manufacturing” of a firearm
    by ATF. The procedures for reactivation by a non-FFL or FFL with other than a manufacturer’s
    SOT status or with no SOT status on Form 1 are found in section 6.6 of the handbook. The
    procedures for reactivation by an FFL with SOT status as a manufacturer are found in section
    7.3.3 of the handbook.

REWATing a DEWAT is considered "manufacturing" in the sense you owe them $200, but not in the sense that you are building a machine gun after 1986 because it was placed in the registry as a machinegun prior to the registry closing.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I would also recommend what Corey said. Frank of AMA has done a lot of rewating of dewats and he can fill you in with any questions involved in paperwork and what needs to be done to be legal. I have seen some of the guns that he has rewated and he knows what to do.

Chuck

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have nothing to add except that everyone who has posted in this thread is spot-on (chuckp, curraheeguns, cwood,) and offering terrific advice.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have nothing to add except that everyone who has posted in this thread is spot-on (chuckp, curraheeguns, cwood,) and offering terrific advice.

Well crap :n00b: I didn't see Cwood's addition to the NFA handbook quote. That being said, Cwood is incorrect. DEWATed machineguns may be REWATTED to a serviceable machinegun via a Form1 and $200 tax paid.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I believe If it is currently on a Form 5 it should be able to be REWAT'd for a $200 manufacturing fee on a Form 1 because it is a registered machine gun currently even though it is a DEWAT.

Then if it is ever sold it will go back to a normal form 4 to the new owner as a MG.

Sometimes DEWATS can be had for a steal, but sometimes they are cost prohibative to REWAT.

I concur.

Top Bottom