Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Idaho

85-year-old woman awakened at 0200 apparently due to burglar hitting her in the head (deputies found blood on her pillow).

Burglar drags her to another room at gunpoint and handcuffs her to a chair. Repeatedly threatens her with death as he ransacks the house.

While he’s out of the room, she drags chair back to her bedroom, retrieves 357 magnum, returns to original spot and hides gun.

He comes back in and threatens her some more, she decides it’s go time. She draws and shoots twice, both good hits. Unfortunately, he unloads his 9 mm at her and strikes her several times, chest, abdomen, arm, leg.

Burglar wanders off to kitchen where he dies. Woman falls the floor and lays there TEN HOURS until her disabled son comes upstairs and gives her phone. She calls 911.

So far she’s still alive. DA and police praise her.

Another article says she had 11 gunshot wounds (!). Investigation shows burglar knew who she was from pawn shop that she ran and a gun range so he figured she’d have valuable things at home.
    I'm curious on the 10 hours time-lapse with the "disabled son" If she was 85, let's say he's 55-60 and has her phone. Why didn't he call 911? Why didn't he get the phone to her sooner? Something doesn't quite add up there In my mind with that part of the story, at least till I see more details

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm curious on the 10 hours time-lapse with the "disabled son" If she was 85, let's say he's 55-60 and has her phone. Why didn't he call 911? Why didn't he get the phone to her sooner? Something doesn't quite add up there In my mind with that part of the story, at least till I see more details
    I made an assumption that the disability was mental.:dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

We don't know the disability

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The linked stories note that the bad guy discovered the son while ransacking the house. Apparently bad guy was not too concerned about son’s ability to do anything. i’m guessing the son is seriously physically and mentally disabled. Which is going to be tough for him when mom dies. But not today.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Little old ladies can be quite tough.

One medical call I went on was for a 70 something? at least? woman who went out on the back porch to feed the dogs, tripped and fell, and broke her hip.

Her daughter had just left the house to go do a 12 hour shift starting at 1800 as a dispatcher at the sheriffs office. When she finished her shift at 0600, she came home and found mom laying on the back porch with the broken hip. 12 hours later at least. Then we got called. Mom was in surprisingly good mood when we got to her. This was in October and it was cold at night, luckily mom had put on a great coat before going out the door.

Another little old lady was out in her garden about 30 yards from the house when she slipped and fell and injured her hip. I don’t recall if it was broken or not but she couldn’t walk. This was in the summertime when it was about 100°. She dragged herself using her arms to the back door, which turned out inadvertently to be locked. So she then dragged her self around the end of the house to the front door, through the house into the kitchen, where the phone… and the backdoor… was. Then she called us.

The treasurer of our fire department was in his 60s, so his mom must’ve been in her 80s. She was taking a shower and slipped in the tub and… boom, broken hip. However, he had provided her with a Life Alert pendant that she wore around her neck even (or especially) in the shower, so she was able to push the button. Plus, she did not have to lay there for hours and hours until somebody stopped by to check on her.

If you have any little old ladies or little old men in your life, I highly recommend you make them wear a life alert type device and pay for the subscription, yourself if you have to. Everybody has cell phones now, but unless they carry them around their necks all the time to include in the shower, there’s a service vulnerability gap. I guess if the Apple Watch is waterproof, they could go with that as long as they always wear it.

Maybe one of those Garman inReach ? or whatever it’s called, might work as well, but the key thing is they must keep it on their body all the time.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The linked stories note that the bad guy discovered the son while ransacking the house. Apparently bad guy was not too concerned about son’s ability to do anything. i’m guessing the son is seriously physically and mentally disabled. Which is going to be tough for him when mom dies. But not today.
    But but but……..the bad guy had a million shot wonder gun and the beaten handcuffed little old lady only had a revolver, how oh how could she have prevailed???

Now in all seriousness, thank god she is, at least for now, safe. Best wishes for her and her son.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    But but but……..the bad guy had a million shot wonder gun and the beaten handcuffed little old lady only had a revolver, how oh how could she have prevailed???

Now in all seriousness, thank god she is, at least for now, safe. Best wishes for her and her son.
    @Snapdragon

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So this dude took two .357 to the chest and still fired back.
    Must have been on something the .357 is #1 in single shot stops.

Thats according to the interwebs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Idaho

85-year-old woman awakened at 0200 apparently due to burglar hitting her in the head (deputies found blood on her pillow).

Burglar drags her to another room at gunpoint and handcuffs her to a chair. Repeatedly threatens her with death as he ransacks the house.

While he’s out of the room, she drags chair back to her bedroom, retrieves 357 magnum, returns to original spot and hides gun.

He comes back in and threatens her some more, she decides it’s go time. She draws and shoots twice, both good hits. Unfortunately, he unloads his 9 mm at her and strikes her several times, chest, abdomen, arm, leg.

Burglar wanders off to kitchen where he dies. Woman falls the floor and lays there TEN HOURS until her disabled son comes upstairs and gives her phone. She calls 911.

So far she’s still alive. DA and police praise her.

Another article says she had 11 gunshot wounds (!). Investigation shows burglar knew who she was from pawn shop that she ran and a gun range so he figured she’d have valuable things at home.
    Wow grandma had good shot placement, and the bad guy didn't.
    That said how could 11 bullets miss something vital? 10 hours she should have bleed to death.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow grandma had good shot placement, and the bad guy didn't.
    That said how could 11 bullets miss something vital? 10 hours she should have bleed to death.
    I’m wondering if they counted an entrance and exit wound from the same bullet as “2” And maybe a couple rounds went through her arm and hit her torso.

Still that’s a lot of holes.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

California homeowner shoots home invasion suspect, another dead in targeted heist: police​

Edit: does Newport Beach have an R for a Mayor? This sounds more like Fort Walton Beach (Florida) than anywhere in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

"If you are thinking about coming into our city to commit crime, know that we will defend ourselves," Newport Beach Mayor Will O'Neill said in a video statement.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Pennsylvania I think.

Woman heard breaking glass in her basement. Went to check it out, shot the intruder DRT. District attorney says she done good. The end.

They did seem to assume that everyone knows Beaver Falls. It is in Beaver County after all and they got 9K folks there.

Good on the lady and the DA (wasn't from Philly so she's not in jail.)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They did seem to assume that everyone knows Beaver Falls. It is in Beaver County after all and they got 9K folks there.

Good on the lady and the DA (wasn't from Philly so she's not in jail.)

A lot of news "distributors" are still stuck thinking like the days of print. When their news was limited by their circulation area.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Terre haute.

Vigo County Sheriff’s Office

*NEWS RELEASE: Reference southern Vigo County shooting and vehicle pursuit*

At appx 10:00pm last night (April 20th) deputies were dispatched to a gunshots fired call on Candlewood Circle in southern Vigo County.

Upon arrival to the scene, deputies spoke with an individual (adult male) who stated a vehicle had been following him and his female passenger. He stated once he pulled into his driveway, he noticed the vehicle sitting in the roadway. He did not know the reason why he was being followed. Upon exiting his vehicle, he stated the suspect vehicle (red truck) accelerated at a high rate of speed and crashed into him and his vehicle. Deputies observed a red truck in the driveway that had clearly crashed into the male victims vehicle.

The victim informed deputies, once he was struck by the red truck, he pulled out a firearm and began shooting at the suspect driver of the red truck.

The driver of the red truck, later identified as Dustin L. Roecker (35 years of age out of Bloomington In. - photo attached) then fled the scene on foot.

The male victim was transported to the hospital with leg injuries. His female passenger, who was in the vehicle that was struck by the suspect truck, was also transported to the hospital for minor injuries.

A short time later, Indiana State police initiated a vehicle pursuit that they believed was the suspect in relation to this incident.

Deputies assisted Indiana State Police with the vehicle pursuit. Deputy and officers involved in the pursuit were able to end the pursuit in Sullivan county and take the suspect into custody. Deputies and officers discovered that the suspect, upon leaving the scene of the crash, was able to steal a vehicle nearby, and a short time later fled from officers in that stolen vehicle.

Roecker was initially transported to a local hospital due to gunshot wounds he received immediately following the vehicle crash and gunfire altercation with the male victim. These injuries are not expected to be life-threatening. It was determined Roecker was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Initial investigation does not indicate any type of relationship or previous interactions between the victims and suspect. However, the investigation is ongoing.

Roecker is currently being charged with:
    1. Attempted murder
    2. Criminal recklessness
    3. Resisting law enforcement
    4. Auto theft

Derek Fell
    Chief of Operations

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Jackson Mississippi

Background: @$$hole (AH) comes into convenience store three days in a row, opens drinks and dumps them on the floor, makes a mess, doesn’t pay, leaves. I’m sure the store owner/manager (OM) had a few choice words for him.

Fourth day AH comes in and chases OM around the store with a knife, saying he’s going to kill him. Both AH and OM are slippin’ and slidin’. As OM is fleeing he is fumbling in pocket for his gun. Finally gets gun out … and holster is still wrapped around gun. OM gets gun extricated as he’s running out door of his own shop. AH has caught up to him so OM smacks him in the head with the gun. Gun goes off once and BOOM! AH is dead.

OM tells everyone he just meant to club the guy and gun went off by accident, but cops say “self-defense, you’re good.” OM is still rattled by event, I read in YT comments he had to close store due to threats from AH’s family. Hopefully it’s just temporary.

ASP has the vid.

I was in a group that met regularly to practice our self defense skills on each other. Lots of role playing and stabbin’ n shootin’ with practice knives and Airsofts. One time I was the robber. My victim drew his pistol from IWB and holster came with it. He snapped his wrist to try to throw the holster off and the whole assembly, pistol inside holster, came out of his hand went flying about 10 yards. I of course shot him twice with my Airsoft and collapsed laughing.

Top Bottom