• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Anyone have any hands on time with one of these?

Specifically, is it going to be too snappy as a first CC piece for my wife who is competent with a handgun but doesn't like to shoot a lot.

I'm thinking of using my old AMT .380 Police Backup as an introduction to the recoil and then step her up to the DB9.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have any experience with the DB9, but I did own a DB380 for awhile and while I had to send my original one back for exchange (it was an early serial number), it ran fine after that and was a very accurate little gun. However, as a member of DiamondbackTalk - DiamondbackTalk.com » Index page
    I've seen a lot of issues with the DB9. If your wife doesn't like to shoot a lot, then it actually may be okay for her.

It's probably the smallest, lightest 9mm on the market right now, but that has its own set of issues. You can only buck the laws of physics for so long before things start to break or wear out. The guys that I've seen that do like them don't shoot them very much. A couple of mags every month or so just to keep proficient and check function and that's it. The ones that have the most problems are the ones that treat it like a range gun, which it is not.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I don't have any experience with the DB9, but I did own a DB380 for awhile and while I had to send my original one back for exchange (it was an early serial number), it ran fine after that and was a very accurate little gun. However, as a member of DiamondbackTalk - DiamondbackTalk.com » Index page
    I've seen a lot of issues with the DB9. If your wife doesn't like to shoot a lot, then it actually may be okay for her.

It's probably the smallest, lightest 9mm on the market right now, but that has its own set of issues. You can only buck the laws of physics for so long before things start to break or wear out. The guys that I've seen that do like them don't shoot them very much. A couple of mags every month or so just to keep proficient and check function and that's it. The ones that have the most problems are the ones that treat it like a range gun, which it is not.

Thanks, I'm thinking Winchester White Box FMJ.

TackyTickle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2013
    My Father has a DB-9, and I have gotten to shoot it a handful of times. As such I would personally stay away from the gun if your wife is shy about recoil at all. I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 very often, and have put well over 2,000 rounds through it, and have no problems limp-wristing that small 9mm.

However, when shooting the DB-9 it feels like the gun is trying to jump out of my hands, and if I don't have a perfect grip and stance I will limp-wrist consistently (resulting in a failure-to-feed). I would not feel comfortable carrying the DB-9 for this reason, because I know I couldn't shoot it reliably with only one hand without limp-wristing it.

The DB-9 has a cool design, and it's a fun little gun, but if you are worried about recoil I would find something else for your wife. My wife even gets shy with the PF-9, which is far less "snappy" than the DB-9. There are plenty of other options I have not gotten to shoot yet also, such as the Ruger LC-9, S&W Shield, and more recently the 9mm XD-s. Hope that helps.

-Mike

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I can't speak directly to the DB9 since all I have done is hold one. What I can speak about is the Kahr CM9 which is just slightly bigger and heavier than the DB9.

I chose the CM9 after looking at almost all of the subcompacts. I held everything except a Shield since I could never find one. I also figured that the recoil on a heavier gun would be a little better.

I like the gun a lot. I personally do not think the recoil is too bad. My wife does not like shooting it but she also does not like my CZ75B.

I also read some less than favorable reviews on the DB9. They are not +P rated which made me worry about their build quality. The CM9 has only had about 300 rounds through it so far, but all have been flawless.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I owned one and didn't have a pleasant experience. After it was broken in, it shot well, but I just didn't trust it. It was very narrow and snappy, but I wasn't worried about that since it wasn't a range gun. I just realized I didn't need a small gun for my daily activities, so I got out of it.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    INGO at its best !

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them. This was for my wife but I think I'm going to pass on getting it.

If anyone is interested, it is on Facebook and located in Princeton, IN.

It has that Pink / Purplish frame.

PM me for a link.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    INGO at its best !

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate them. This was for my wife but I think I'm going to pass on getting it.

If anyone is interested, it is on Facebook and located in Princeton, IN.

It has that Pink / Purplish frame.

PM me for a link.

If you/she wants to shoot mine, let me know. I'll provide the gun and ammo, you provide the range.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom