• ...and so much more!
  • charles.wolff

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Went to Dick's (wash. sq.) yesterday to pick up some running shoes and I was OCing as usual. I noticed a new sign on the door saying that if you are bringing a firearm into the store that you have to check in with customer service.

I was curious to see what they would do so I walked up to the CS counter and I realized that there were only two checkout people and about 10 people waiting in line and I did not want to be there forever as I had other things to do, so I just went ahead and did my shopping. No comments, no weird looks or anything.

Anyone know what they do at the CS counter? Do they take your name or just say "cool, go ahead" and let you in?

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I believe they mean for service or repair needs but they should get a more specific sign to help prevent any questions or time wasting checking with customer service

My thoughts, too. Gander Mountain has a sign stating that all firearms being brought into the store need to be checked in at the counter, but this does not apply to persons legally carrying a weapon. Point is, they don't want you bringing a loaded gun in for service or trade.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I believe they make sure they are unloaded an possibly tie strap them if possible. They also make sure you have a gun in the case. A few rifles walked out of Gander Mountain so now they check all guns coming in. I think they got them out by walking in with empty case claiming the are going back for service. Then put a gun off shelf in case and walk back out. All the ARs at Gander are now behind the counter.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am pretty sure that it applies, and states, that guns/bows being brought in for service must be checked. I OC and CC at that Dicks all the time. Nobody has said anything.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The MC Sports in Bloomington used to have a sign saying the same thing. I asked a manager if it applied to handguns legally carried with LTCH and she said "no". The next time I went in they had changed the sign to specifically exempt legally carried handguns.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I was with a friend who was OCing at the Castleton Dicks and we walked by the greeter and the manger was there to check if he has his LTCH. After she checked all was good and we continued shopping. She said something about how someone shot themselves in the gun department like 10I years ago, so its that stores policy now. How having a LTCH changes if you off yourself in the store I have no idea. Plus, I wouldn't want to walk up to someone with a gun and ask if they have an LTCH. What if they don't? Clearly don't care about laws at that point so it's moot...

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I was with a friend who was OCing at the Castleton Dicks and we walked by the greeter and the manger was there to check if he has his LTCH. After she checked all was good and we continued shopping. She said something about how someone shot themselves in the gun department like 10I years ago, so its that stores policy now. How having a LTCH changes if you off yourself in the store I have no idea. Plus, I wouldn't want to walk up to someone with a gun and ask if they have an LTCH. What if they don't? Clearly don't care about laws at that point so it's moot...

Legally, she had no right to ask to see his LTCH, and he had no reason to show it. I know it was "the easiest thing" in this case, but letting some infringe your rights only reinforces it in their minds that they can.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Yeah I figured that was coming, and rightfully so. It was just dumbfounding at the time because nothing like that ever happens and you don't ever expect it to. Afterwards we talked about it and realized how dumb it was to even ask, let alone go along with it.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Legally, she had no right to ask to see his LTCH, and he had no reason to show it. I know it was "the easiest thing" in this case, but letting some infringe your rights only reinforces it in their minds that they can.

Stupid think is he USED THEIR GUN TO DO IT!!! And it was a shotgun if I remember correct!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Actually, legally she does have the right.
    You can have a store, and say, "Only LTCH carrying people allowed".
    And you can check.
    Your property, your rules.
    If you don't want to follow the rules, don't go in.

Now, in a public place, you don't have to show her.
    But she can ask. There is no law saying a citizen CAN'T ask.
    Anything NOT illegal, is legal.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute

Stupid think is he USED THEIR GUN TO DO IT!!! And it was a shotgun if I remember correct!

Yeah, if I remember right, the guy had a shell in his pocket and asked the clerk if he could look at a shotgun. Clerk handed him the gun, then started paying attention to something else. Guy put the shell in the shotgun and offed himself. This is why Dicks and most other places have trigger locks on all display guns now. I may not be remembering 100% correctly, though, as it has been awhile.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom