• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I think about what happened 15 years ago, and about the changes I made in my life. What do you do differently in your preps since 9/11? Did you start prepping? Etc.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I didn't start prepping until a number of years later. 9/11 didn't get me prepping on it's own, but terrorism was one of the factors I consider in my preps.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I didn't start prepping until a number of years later. 9/11 didn't get me prepping on it's own, but terrorism was one of the factors I consider in my preps.
    Got me thinking about prepping. Realized how quickly our society could unravel. Planes grounded, gas in short supply, limited answers, information not readily available. This from a few narrow targets on a single morning. What if it had been critical infrastructure (water, power...) or continued over multiple days? How quickly the government leaped to use the tragedy to restrict citizens rightS and infringe on their lives (TSA, NSA...). Certainly makes you think when planning.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    "Always be prepared." Is something that I took from from the Boy Scouts. I kept some extra supplies around, but not more than a day or two's worth. My gun & ammo supply was almost non-existent. First-aid supplies were boo-boo related.

9/11 changed the way I prepped and looked at the world around me. I definitely look at terrorism as a major part of my preps, now. Not necessarily as a fight in the streets with jihadists, but as an attack that limits availability of goods and services. This broadens preps for natural disasters, as they can have the same results.

Prepping on a budget can be difficult, but it is doable. Buy an extra can of soup, an extra jug of water, or a box of ammo. It does add up over time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    09/11/2001 affected me in a variety of ways, but it did not affect me with respect to preparing for emergencies.

Dbeasley2771

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Greenwood
    I think that 9/11 was a wake up call for modern Americans to see the real possibility of attacks on American soil. It radically changed preppers across the board

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    /We have always had some "Extra" supply's but not serious preps.
    9/11 changed this for us.

Not what some would consider serious preppers but we are ready.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Way before 9/11. A long, long time ago...probably influenced by Boy Scouts and Civil Defense... Despite what is popular in culture the nuclear holocaust is still out there waiting to be unleashed. The weapons are getting more pervasive and less controlled. Still, the next day 80% would read about it in the papers, the real test comes later.

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I think the only thing I added to the preps in the immediate aftermath was a respirator because I had none at that point and we were getting pulled in bits and pieces to go to the City and IIRC all they were providing people were those next to worthless paper face masks. So I ran to the hardware store and picked up a half face respirator and a few replacement cartridges. They were near-impossible to find at any of the local hardware stores for weeks after 9/11.
    Otherwise, I don't think 9/11 affected my desire to prep at all, it merely confirmed the need to do so

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Somewhat prepped before 9/11 as in preparing for power outages, severe weather emergencies. After 9/11 it definitely made me pick up the pace.

Top Bottom