Did guns and ammo just come down in price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Maybe this will ease the need to line up at the major fishing/hunting stores every morning to see if any ammo came in. I for one would like to see ammo availability at my local Wal Mart. It has been bone dry for months. People will shoot, some will hoard, and to be sure there are more of them out there now. I am dreading going to shoot cause I bet there will be a line to get a spot. If the weather is good, you can probably forget it!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Neither the price of guns or ammo has "come down" from what we have been witnessing since December. The market for guns, like the AR's you reference, has slowed, as many who wanted one have found them. That will soon lead to a price adjustment but it hasn't moved much yet.

Ammo? It will be at least another year, if ever, before we see anything that remotely looks like where we were before 12/12. Nearly 100% of the production of the major ammo manufacturers is being gobbled up by the federal government at a price about 6x a round more than they can get via the retail distribution chain. As long as that continues, you won't see ammo. Quality carry ammo doesn't exist anymore. Cheaper practice ammo comes along occasionally. The real battle in the next 24 months or so isn't going to be about guns. It's going to be about ammo.

Completely false. Many ammo manufacturers have issued statements proving this wrong, including Hornady who says less than 5% goes to the government.

Hornady Addresses Ammo Shortage: We're working 24/7 - Guns.com

Whittakers... about 30 min from my house. :D

I'm a big fan of Whittaker's but they're so far away from me!

Yeah, Whittakers is really messing up the price gouging.

It's true that they haven't gone WAY up in price, but their prices haven't been *great*. They're just been OK in this time of panic.

I was in there last month looking over and AR they had on the shelf. It was $130 more than it was in September 2012.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm seeing a lot of sub-$1000 ARs recently. At the peak, most seemed to be selling for $1300-$1500. I think there are too many new guns being sold, hence too much demand for ammo prices to start falling any time soon.

With all of the additional gun sales, I don't understand why ammo manufacturers aren't adding capacity to their plants. I know it wouldn't be fast or cheap, but they stand to gain by upping production in a world where every single item they produce is purchased the minute it hits the shelves.

for now, eventually things will normalize and they will be stuck with production facilities they have no use or need for and that will cost them money, this would be reflected in future ammo prices

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I just got an email from Cheaper Than Dirt saying to get your AR-15 before they become illegal to own. They never quit.

I got that too. Yea. $1800 for the same exact rifle I paid $800 for at my LGS in 09'...what a deal!

I've seen prices coming back down. Last week at my LGS they had a stripped down dpms for $800.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    The guberment isn't buying up .22's, people trying to flip it are buying it. The prices are still the same as they were in December at the retailers

The retail prices are the same but are the actual supplies? Is the profit margin on 22 that great or have manufacturers shifted to producing what's more profitable?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you want an AR, wait. Let the pig pass through the python.

Lowers are already at $125. Once lowers hit sub-100, start buying. Complete guns will take longer to bottom. August or so the complete guns will bottom because of oversupply.

Ammo will take much, much longer to recalibrate.

Top Bottom