Did I goof up? Dropped my car off at the shop...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Word of mouth is the only advertising I do. My longest running customers have been bringing me their vehicles for 15 years. Ironically that's how long it has been since I quit wrenching on the side and went full time with it. Mechanics are like cops ( like every one really) there are good ones and there are bad ones. And we usually hear the most about the bad ones.
    Most of the cars I work on are old lots of rust and gunk. Broken bolts etc. none of that is in the Book time. Book time is the average of 10 mechanics to replace a part on a NEW car. So yes if a job books at three hours and mec does it in one you pay three. But also if the job books 3 and takes 7, You still pay 3. I changed my business model 2 years ago. I no longer up charge parts. I charge actual cost plus tax or cust brings own. And I charge actual hours worked at $75 per hour. I give ball park estimates only but do call when something goes wrong. And I rely on my reputation to keep me busy. Works for me.
    So if this shop values its business especially referrals from families and friends you should be ok. But go ahead and call for an estimate. Not going to hurt to ask

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've been taking our vehicles to the same place for 10+ years. He'll give me the actual or a ballpark. If he gets into it and it will be more, he calls me. Otherwise, he just does it and we settle up when its done.

When we had several service vehicles, I would schedule maintanance days with a local shop. I would drop it off the night before. Grease, oil, filter, etc. I wanted him to look it over and make sure that we did not have any unscheduled down time, that would prevent us from getting our work done. He would change brakes, belts, bulbs, etc. The guy found a water pump that was just starting to leak, change it. Alternator bearings making noise, change it. Find a tire with a split, change it. Universal joint worn, change it. Before I started doing that, I was always ending up with men in broken down trucks that got in the way of taking care of my customers and cost me billable hours. It worked out well. And yes, once all the trucks were fully serviced, sometimes all they needed was the grease and oil change.

I think that kind of relationship is still possible. You have to find an independent shop. Too many of the chain shops have the focus on selling, selling, selling for today's commission, and forgetting the long term.

Last edited:

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Statistically, based purely on my sampling over the last 30 years in three resident states where I've been driving and needing vehicle repair work done? Yes - except for a single place of business. So let's call it 30 to 1.
    Well , then why don't you repair them yourself??? Ooohhh , you can't do that or don't have the tools... Anyone on here care to take a guess as to professional grade tools cost a tech???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a pretty well equipped shop and also fully equipped for HVAC.
    When I submit a bill I have often got the "Damn that's a lot" Then "It only took a few hours why so much"

$10,000 in service related tools on the truck and more in the shop as they will not all fit.
    Diagnosis, securing/PU parts/travel to and from and parts travel, time on the job and almost 48 years experience which makes the diagnosis and the work go quicker.
    I am also a lot less expensive than the big box operations. No hidden fees and mark ups.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Well ?

I work/worked for a few dealers around town.. The last one we had a new alignment rack, tire balancer, tire changer and two 15,000 lb lifts installed to the tune of $150,000+ ... New ac machine=$3500... On-car brake lathe $10,000+ with trade in of old on-car lathe.. This doesn't factor cost of hand tools and misc specialty tools.. We had a room that was larger than most 3 car garages to store specialty tools..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I have a pretty well equipped shop and also fully equipped for HVAC.
    When I submit a bill I have often got the "Damn that's a lot" Then "It only took a few hours why so much"

$10,000 in service related tools on the truck and more in the shop as they will not all fit.
    Diagnosis, securing/PU parts/travel to and from and parts travel, time on the job and almost 48 years experience which makes the diagnosis and the work go quicker.
    I am also a lot less expensive than the big box operations. No hidden fees and mark ups.
    I feel you.. I've been a ford dealer tech since I was a kid and have seen a lot of hacks and crooks but still gets under my skin when people call us blue collar service guys no matter what specialty , crooks...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I work/worked for a few dealers around town.. The last one we had a new alignment rack, tire balancer, tire changer and two 15,000 lb lifts installed to the tune of $150,000+ ... New ac machine=$3500... On-car brake lathe $10,000+ with trade in of old on-car lathe.. This doesn't factor cost of hand tools and misc specialty tools.. We had a room that was larger than most 3 car garages to store specialty tools..

Most new cars/trucks have some aspect of the design that involves the need for spec tooling that the common man such as myself may only use once and will not purchase for that reason.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I feel you.. I've been a ford dealer tech since I was a kid and have seen a lot of hacks and crooks but still gets under my skin when people call us blue collar service guys no matter what specialty , crooks...

Just like jane fonda types blamed the servicemen for the war, many people blame the individual mechanics for the dealer or franchise business model. The shop may be charging $89.95 per hour, but that is not what the man is making. So many repair chains have policies to over sell the customer, usually that is not the mechanics idea either. EPA charges, recycling charges, disposal fees, etc are also mostly business gimicks, also not endorsed by the mechanic and generally does not benefit him.

It is very easy for an individual professional mechanic to have $10,000 tied up in his tools, that he paid for out of his pocket with hard earned take home pay. The shop does not give him squat for it either. Bitter cold conditions, burning hot conditions, study what happens to the human spine when it is bent over for long periods of time over the course of many years. There is more technology in a common sedan than there was in sputnik. Car after car has technology that only applies to that model and usually requires specific specialty tools. It is not an easy life, and according to US department of labor stats does not really pay all that well.

I appreciate the mechanics that work on my car. As long as the job is well done, I do not beat them up on the bill. I read the ads, I know I can get things done cheaper at some discount place. I never bother, the discount places always seem to have a price to pay down the line, IF they actually get it right the first time. I want the work completed with top quality parts, and I want it when they promise. I would rather pay once and send my family out in a car that is fixed right.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    S'all good. Called down there, car is ready. Was a cheap fix ($130~). Recommended I replace the transmission mount too, but commented it drives a heck of a lot better and that most the slop is gone. I'll drive it around this weekend and take it back next week to get that done too.

Gotta go get two new tires in the front and oil changes and fluids flushed this weekend.

Cash only though... so I've got to walk clear across town to go to the ATM unfortunately. :(

Top Bottom