• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive always wanted a Sharps rifle. No real reason, except it is the original long range rifle. Its not something you see every day, but I saw one go by at the 1500. It was a original sharp's receiver, and came with 2 barrels. 1 barrel was a Farlow 32-40, and the other barrel was a 45-70. The 45-70 barrel was made by the guy selling (what pushed me away from the deal, because I was mainly interested in the 45-70). The rifle was in decent shape. It had a crack in the stock, and the rear sight had very loose adjustments (probably need replaced). I'm wanting a shooter, not a show piece, so I didn't care about the cosmetic defects.

The reason I passed is

1 I dont know a ton about these rifles
    2 Home made barrel

The asking price was 1700, and I thought that was fair, but I just didn't know. Did I screw up?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Vette, just get you a Shiloh. Made how you want it, and you can make payments to ease the sticker shock. I don't know of many that truly regret getting a Shiloh.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For $1700, you are getting into $hiloh territory. "I'm kinda disappointed with my Shiloh" said no one ever. They are what Sharps would've built back in the day if they'd had the machinery and quality control techniques available to them. Pedersoli makes a pretty good gun but closing the action on them is akin to closing a car door. The Shiloh is more like closing a vault door. Many people buy the Pedersoli and wish they'd paid the extra for a Shiloh. I don't think anyone's ever bought a Shiloh and wish they'd held back for a Pedersoli.

Loading for any Sharps BPCR is where most shooters let themselves down. It's not uncommon for one of these rifles to throw 6-8" groups at 100 yards off the bench using any old ammo. It takes awhile to dial in each of the components and loading method your individual rifle likes and it can be a rather different process than loading modern smokeless cartridges. There are numerous sources to research for the ins and outs of BPCR reloading, so I'll avoid mucking up the thread with further discussion on that point. These two links should help with an overview:

http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf

http://the_montanan.tripod.com/

The sights play a significant role in these rifles' performance and this is an area I'm sure you can appreciate, Alan. It's not uncommon to give $4-500 for a set of iron sights and as with most other things in life, you pay for what you get. Here's a good place to start looking and you won't go wrong with these folks:

Welcome to Montana Vintage Arms - Soule Sights

Funny thing, but I haven't had the first hint of difficulty in buying all the black powder I've wanted during the past year's ammo hysteria. The stuff is completely under the radar and while it's always a lit difficult to find retailers who will fool with the extra regulations to store it, those that do seem able to keep a steady supply on hand.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ghost is absolutely correct. I do not regret anything about my Shiloh or the MVA Soule that is on it. I even want another, but have other projects that need my attention at this time. I got lucky, I found a load that works well enough to have fun with right out of the gates.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have the same urge to own a Sharps. I want a shooter. The originals don't like the newer higher power loads. I would feel really bad if I ruined a 120 year old plus rifle plinking with it. I am going to go the Shiloh route eventually. I agree with the others. I know I want it in a 45-70. What a round! I have the Henry and really enjoy it.

If I was going to collect something it would be a different deal.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Ive always wanted a Sharps rifle. No real reason, except it is the original long range rifle. Its not something you see every day, but I saw one go by at the 1500. It was a original sharp's receiver, and came with 2 barrels. 1 barrel was a Farlow 32-40, and the other barrel was a 45-70. The 45-70 barrel was made by the guy selling (what pushed me away from the deal, because I was mainly interested in the 45-70). The rifle was in decent shape. It had a crack in the stock, and the rear sight had very loose adjustments (probably need replaced). I'm wanting a shooter, not a show piece, so I didn't care about the cosmetic defects.

The reason I passed is

1 I dont know a ton about these rifles
    2 Home made barrel

The asking price was 1700, and I thought that was fair, but I just didn't know. Did I screw up?

I saw that rifle. You didn't make a mistake.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    If I ever get one, Im going to find some temporary glue, and mount glue a base on it, and put a scope on it just for a pic to put on the net to listen to folks lose their mind:):

A Razor HD would look mighty fine glued onto a Sharps rifle. I'm sure there would be death threats, lawsuits, etc. :lmfao:

Be sure to do plenty of research before buying one of these rifles. There are volumes of obscure info about loading and shooting these guns to achieve the performance noted in the historical record. If I were to order one, it would be chambered in a slow twist 50-90, what was referred to back in the day as the "Big Fifty," and capable of being loaded as the 50-90, 50-100, or 50-110, based on powder/bullet weight. The modern 50-90 as ordered from Shiloh comes with a fast-twist barrel to stabilize projectiles of up to 700 grains in weight, but they have a reputation for vicious recoil. Go figure, as that's approximately the same weight as the bullet fired from the .50 BMG! The slow twist barrels are a non-cataloged item but they turn a few out each year as enough requests are gathered. They do a much better job of stabilizing the traditional bullet weights of approximately 330, 450, and 550 grains. Billy Dixon used a 50-90 to make his renowned shot of nearly a mile on June 27, 1874 at the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, when he clipped a stationary Indian warrior off his horse at 1538 yards.

Here are a couple more links. The first is about some guys trying to replicate Dixon's shot but unfortunately, couldn't muster the fortitude to use real black powder:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/bdixon.htm

Here's another from Mike Venturino detailing a meeting of the Sharps rifle and military science guys who claimed Dixon's shot was total make believe, as the 50-90 was mathematically incapable of throwing a bullet that far:

http://powderburns.tripod.com/sharps.html

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I would say you made the correct choice by the sounds of it. I have only shot a sharps with windage sights and it was rather accurate. My grandfather has a sharps 45-70 and is one of my favorite rifles the he owns. He used to compete in the Quigly(sp?) Shoots in Montana.

They are fine rifles and I hope to inherit his one day, but rather him keep it for several more years preferably.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I still would prefer my 358.

If I ever get one, Im going to find some temporary glue, and mount glue a base on it, and put a scope on it just for a pic to put on the net to listen to folks lose their mind:):

:laugh:

That'd be awesome! Make sure to put like a $40 scope on it too.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester

Makes me want to dig up my Quigley DVD! One of my favorite rifles growing up, definitely on the bucket list! If you pick one up make sure and post some pics!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have got a Shiloh in .45-70 (an early NY stamped one) and I must say they are so special....It's hard to explain but the fact that Shiloh's go for roughly the same amount as an original ought to tell you something about the quality....They are beautiful....

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have got a Shiloh in .45-70 (an early NY stamped one) and I must say they are so special....It's hard to explain but the fact that Shiloh's go for roughly the same amount as an original ought to tell you something about the quality....They are beautiful....

Someone has to say it: :postpics:

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    Sharps

For what it is worth, I have one of the Cimarron "Quigley" sharps listed for sale locally. I am not much of a computer guy and don't know how to put pictures on this forum. If I can get the time to figure it out, I'll post it here. The rifle is 45/70 and in excellent condition. It has a set of the Pedersoli soule long range sights with it. It has only had cast bullets and smokeless powder through it. It is amazingly accurate. If interested, send me a PM.

Top Bottom