• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    How should it be done? It shouldn't. If you want M4 feed ramps, buy an upper with M4 feed ramps. Trying to put in M4 feed ramps with a dremel is.....well, it's most definitely not the right way to go about it even if you're dead set on machining in feed ramps.

If you really wanted to do it right, you would need some sort of a jig to file it appropriately or a mill. But the real answer is that it's not a standard gunsmithing operation because you can just buy an upper with M4 feed ramps if you really want it. A dremel most certainly is not the way to go about it.....as you can see from your handy work.

This would be the correct answer.

by this logic, i assume one should not build an 80% since stripped lowers can be had for around $50 and require no hand tools.

I agree with Churchmouse, the proper tool used with proper care can do wonders. I'll probably pitch this upper as i already had extras. But i really hate when someone says something shouldn't be done. When in fact, it can be. Where would we be as a society, if no one ever tried to build something with their own two hands?

I really do appreciate all the feedback though, thanks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    80% lowers are done for a different reason. That has nothing to do with the price discrepancies.

"Could" and "should" are two different things. You could have sold this upper, and bought a new M4 upper for very little out of pocket. Instead, you turned it into scrap metal with a dremel. But if this was fun for you, more power to you. I've wasted $40 on dumber things, that's for sure.

by this logic, i assume one should not build an 80% since stripped lowers can be had for around $50 and require no hand tools.

I agree with Churchmouse, the proper tool used with proper care can do wonders. I'll probably pitch this upper as i already had extras. But i really hate when someone says something shouldn't be done. When in fact, it can be. Where would we be as a society, if no one ever tried to build something with their own two hands?

I really do appreciate all the feedback though, thanks.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    80% lowers are done for a different reason. That has nothing to do with the price discrepancies.

"Could" and "should" are two different things. You could have sold this upper, and bought a new M4 upper for very little out of pocket. Instead, you turned it into scrap metal with a dremel. But if this was fun for you, more power to you. I've wasted $40 on dumber things, that's for sure.

Preach brother, preach. Took the words out of my mouth.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've done it several times. A set of jeweler files is all I used and they turned out perfect. You do not need electric tools to do it. All they seem to do is make mistakes happen quicker...

Top Bottom