Did Law Change? Unreal incident at clinic...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    This still bugs me. A) I am not sure why you think you need to type slowly for me. B) Your theory is wack.

If your first assumption is that a MWG is not a law abiding citizen that has his daughter at a Dr. appointment, and rather the guy sitting there calmly is a guy taking hostages, perhaps YOU should not be allowed to carry a gun. Clearly, your judgement is flawed.

People on here think you were being sarcastic. On some posts, yes, I think you were. On the post I directly responded to, based on my initial reading and the reading of the above post, you were not being sarcastic.

You are reading way too much into this...you are taking an OC case out of context. It is not just a calm man sitting while OC'ing - AT THAT MOMENT. Monday morning quarterbacking.

As far fetched as it may seem, the OP stated that the LEO's "stormed" into the room. We do not know what the 911 call stated. Assuming it was good since 7 officers responded the way they did. You know how people get whacky about a MWG no matter where it is.

So, I accept your appology for attacking my judgement. Just do not make a scene - I cry easily.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Not you, but the LE community as it relates to OC.

Agreed. I think it varies greatly by department
    Do you think:
    1) It is out of fear of guns and project that into their preception of law,
    or
    2) They do not mind guns and are just ignorant to laws.

It is discussed and trained but I think human nature takes over sense society in general is taught how evil guns are and the person carrying the gun (especially OC).

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I would imagine that the 911 call set the tone for the incident. Witnesses and 911 callers are not known for their accuracy.

absolutely correct. When the MWG call went in I was involved in they said a Mexican ran from the bar with a gun into the first door and they heard shots fired.
    It was a black man, no gun, just ear muffs on his head and he did fire, but in the second door at the indoor range that isn't open to the public yet. :n00b:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I would imagine that the 911 call set the tone for the incident. Witnesses and 911 callers are not known for their accuracy.

This. From the mouth of the MWG caller to the ears of the 911 operator, from the mouth of the 911 operator to officer taking the call (or maybe there's a dispatcher in between, I don't know), a lot can change. A word here or there, and the tone of any incident can be very different by the time the officer(s) arrive on the scene. I'm sure the 911 operators and dispatchers are trained, but still, mistakes happen.

Still, really bad treatement of the OP by the officers in this case. No excuse for that once the "situation" as it were, was under control.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Agreed. I think it varies greatly by department
    Do you think:
    1) It is out of fear of guns and project that into their preception of law,
    or
    2) They do not mind guns and are just ignorant to laws.

It is discussed and trained but I think human nature takes over sense society in general is taught how evil guns are and the person carrying the gun (especially OC).

I think it is the general public that has the hysteria about guns, and the LEO's just try to keep the hysterics to a minimum (though it does permeate some LEO's as well). Sometimes they do it through intimidation of the OCers.

Now...compare the irrational fear of guns to the irrational fear of spiders. If I walk around with a Tarantula on my shoulder.....does that warrant 911 calls? Am I responsible for other people's phobias?

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    As to the OP of this thread, I would have called to have someone go pick my wife and kids up and I would have went straight to an attorney's office to file a civil suit. Just saying.

You were absolutely legal in every sense of the word and nothing has changed in the laws.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    My thoughts are that the LEO's should train just like what we are doing on INGO. Egg on their faces should go all the way up the ladder. As was said, training on Indiana gun laws is what needs to be done. If this were to come to a full fledged investigation,& the officers are indeed guilty of over extending their authority, they may be hard pressed to make anything stick in a court of law. The County Prosecutor might say that if officer numbnuts arrests anyone, I'm not going to prosecute anyone the he/she brings to court, because the Prosecutor doesn't want egg on his/ her face either. Prosecutors don't like to lose. The officer should know the law, & abide by it so that he/she will have credibility, and a good knowledgeable relationship with co-workers, & the public.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    The Prosecutor's office, for the good or the bad, can affect much change on a police department. They are also, in many cases, charge with updating the depts on laws.

Contact your PA and have them send a memo to the depts "reminding" them of teh law.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    What steps is the TS going to take to remedy this situation? Are you making steps to file a complaint and obtain all the necessary information? I haven't seen TS say he is doing this...I've only seen it suggested that he does. (long thread, might have missed it somewhere)

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    My thoughts are that the LEO's should train just like what we are doing on INGO. Egg on their faces should go all the way up the ladder. As was said, training on Indiana gun laws is what needs to be done. If this were to come to a full fledged investigation,& the officers are indeed guilty of over extending their authority, they may be hard pressed to make anything stick in a court of law. The County Prosecutor might say that if officer numbnuts arrests anyone, I'm not going to prosecute anyone the he/she brings to court, because the Prosecutor doesn't want egg on his/ her face either. Prosecutors don't like to lose. The officer should know the law, & abide by it so that he/she will have credibility, and a good knowledgeable relationship with co-workers, & the public.
    Prosecutors often don't really know what the police are up to, unless the police send a report to the prosecutor's office. "Today we arrested a man for OC in violation of Indiana law..." Then the prosecutor gets on the phone to the captain.

But if the report never gets forwarded, and the citizen doesn't file a civil suit, then the problem may not get corrected.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wonder how the court case would play out if you insisted on being arrested for the imaginary crime. Would it still be a false arrest if you were literally asking for it?

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I wonder how the court case would play out if you insisted on being arrested for the imaginary crime. Would it still be a false arrest if you were literally asking for it?

I was thinking if I were in this situation, I would probably tell the officers, "If you believe I am breaking a law, then you need to do your job and arrest me or ticket me or whatever is appropriate." All while thinking please arrest me so I can sue the pants off your sorry arse!

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    The officer then asks the staff if I can put my weapon in my car and come back in and they said no, I have to take my weapon all the way home and disarm myself and then retrieve my family.

Agreeing that this situation is handled wrong on many levels... I also can't seem to get past this ^^
    What the heck is that? How can "the staff" (assuming this is the clinic staff) require someone to go "all the way home" before reentering their premises? I think I would have left the gun in my trunk, go park on the street nearby (removing the gun from their property), and immediately walk back in to get my family. Even walking in while the LEOs were still there. NObody can tell you where you have to go,... unless they're taking you to jail.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle

I had a situation once similar to this. An officer was screaming at me and asking me if I wanted to go to jail. I told him, repeatedly, to do whatever he felt was necessary. My crime? Having a shotgun in the backseat of my car. The LEO first told me it was illegal to carry a long gun in Indiana. I asked him for the IC number on that one. He then said only LEO's were allowed to carry loaded long guns in Indiana. Once again, I asked for the IC number on that. This was when he started screaming at me and asking me if I wanted to go to jail.

Top Bottom