• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

For the first time I attended a "Friends of the NRA" banquet fundraiser last night.

There were about 1,000 people there and it was a pretty good turnout at the Auburn Cord Dusenburg Museum in Auburn, IN.

For me a very nice part of the show was the fact that I made a mistake and didn't have a ticket, so I was stuck waiting for the end of the line to see if there was room. I wandered the entire museum for almost an hour completely alone! It was awesome getting a chance to look at all the old cars without distraction.

The presentation and dinner were both very good for a buffet. The rabbit food was served by servers and after that get in line.

There were silent autions, a live auction, and many, many drawings. I had to walk four (4) blocks to go get cash because I just HAD to get some tickets for the M1A drawing.

There were three (3) issues as I saw it.

#1) The line getting in took way to long. I was in line for about 40 minutes just to get to the first table. There were a lot of folks attending but logistics could be improved.

#2) While I enjoyed the private tour of the museum the banquet hall was too small for the number attending. It quickly became cramped and stuffy with little room to get up and walk away from your table. Thank goodness I had an aisle seat or I would have been SOL.

#3) It went too long. I arrived a little after 1730 and the M1A drawing was the very first drawing after the live auction. There were a LOT of other drawings that were going to be done. I left at the M1A drawing and it was 2134 hours. Don't misunderstand me. I don't mind staying out late but for my first time it caught me quite off guard. I also thought for those who brought children this would play havoc with grumpy kids.

So the NRA got $30 bucks out of me for the dinner that was probably worth $10, and another $50 out of me for the M1A drawing. So they made about $70 off of me last night.

I would guess their haul was about $100k last night, give or take. I will post a few of the auction items and prices later.

Regards,

Doug

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Doug,
    Please understand, what you attended was a "Friends" of the NRA banquet. It's not the NRA.

Friends of the NRA uses the funds raised at these banquets to promote the shooting sports in the state that they are collected.

A worthy cause indeed, and one I support entirely. Still, it's not the NRA.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I have recently been introduced to this event. There will be one here in Richmond in April. I'm hoping to be able to attend. Anyone who's been to a few have any suggestions for me?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have recently been introduced to this event. There will be one here in Richmond in April. I'm hoping to be able to attend. Anyone who's been to a few have any suggestions for me?

Take plenty of cash, and go hungry. The food is usually great. The raffles/auctions CAN cost you a small fortune if you so choose.

Be prepared to stay out late. Most of ours don't let out until 10:30-11:00pm.

Know that you're helping to support a very worthy cause.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I had a great time and talked with some great people. A suggestion for others is to buy your tickets on-line early.

The food was good and it was a bit crowded, but so are gun shows this year. They said they've out grown the museum and next year they said they may move it to the Fort Wayne Coliseum.

I didn't win any thing either, but I was there to support the Indiana youth after all they are our future.

Good job friends of the NRA. I know that was a ton of work. :patriot:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    My husband (IfUDare01) mentioned going to one of these the other day...sounds like a good night out without the kids for us...but good to know to plan to be out late and to be prepared to deal with the masses

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doug,
    Please understand, what you attended was a "Friends" of the NRA banquet. It's not the NRA.

Friends of the NRA uses the funds raised at these banquets to promote the shooting sports in the state that they are collected.

A worthy cause indeed, and one I support entirely. Still, it's not the NRA.

To Mgderf,

Thank you for clearing that up! I was just handed an invite decided on a whim at the last minute to go. I didn't even read it much except when I posted on here and forgot about it.

To All,

A word on going to one of these and participating in the auction. For your own protection do NOT EVER EVER get emotionally involved in the auction. Way too often do I see people get their pride, ego or emotions involved and they wind up spending WAY more than they would have without an emotional attachment. The auctioneer is not your friend, best buddy, pal, bud or pardner. He is a businessman whose sole singular job IS TO SUCK AS MUCH MONEY out of the crowd as possible for his patron! You should not care if he is happy with you or if he likes you or if he goes home to feed his children because he doesn't care if you spend too much money stupidly. Because IF YOU DO then he has done his job!

Please don't misunderstand me! I have nothing at all against the auctioneers who do their job!!! It can be a hard, tedious job and I give them full credit for working hard. But it is just a business and many of them are very good at it.

If you see something you would like to buy then put an upper price tag on it of $X. During the auction if the price hits $X STOP BIDDING! Period. End. You should not be out to "beat the other guy." If the auction starts at $X + $50 then don't even bid.

At an auction too many people will try to assuage their stupidity by telling themselves, "It was for a worthy cause." That is great, but you can donate money to the bloody worthy cause without hurting yourself.

I am sorry for this little rant but it was something that I noticed folks doing last night and if you intend to attend one of these (or any auction) then you should remember to never become emotionally involved in the bidding. It can be self destructive to your financial health.

Regards,

Doug

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    To Mgderf,

Thank you for clearing that up! I was just handed an invite decided on a whim at the last minute to go. I didn't even read it much except when I posted on here and forgot about it.

To All,

A word on going to one of these and participating in the auction. For your own protection do NOT EVER EVER get emotionally involved in the auction. Way too often do I see people get their pride, ego or emotions involved and they wind up spending WAY more than they would have without an emotional attachment. The auctioneer is not your friend, best buddy, pal, bud or pardner. He is a businessman whose sole singular job IS TO SUCK AS MUCH MONEY out of the crowd as possible for his patron! You should not care if he is happy with you or if he likes you or if he goes home to feed his children because he doesn't care if you spend too much money stupidly. Because IF YOU DO then he has done his job!

Please don't misunderstand me! I have nothing at all against the auctioneers who do their job!!! It can be a hard, tedious job and I give them full credit for working hard. But it is just a business and many of them are very good at it.

If you see something you would like to buy then put an upper price tag on it of $X. During the auction if the price hits $X STOP BIDDING! Period. End. You should not be out to "beat the other guy." If the auction starts at $X + $50 then don't even bid.

At an auction too many people will try to assuage their stupidity by telling themselves, "It was for a worthy cause." That is great, but you can donate money to the bloody worthy cause without hurting yourself.

I am sorry for this little rant but it was something that I noticed folks doing last night and if you intend to attend one of these (or any auction) then you should remember to never become emotionally involved in the bidding. It can be self destructive to your financial health.

Regards,

Doug

I think you're looking at a charitable auction wrong in the first place. These auctions are purely meant to raise money. Most people bidding on these items rarely think about the price or item, but bid to support the actual cause they are attending for...:dunno: Not to get down on you but going to these events is suppose to support your local shooting community. Donating doesn't involve totaling up the costs, summing up how much your meal "actually" cost, and how to "play" the auctions...

Last edited:

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Hey all, we are having our South Indy Friends of NRA banquet for 2014 on February 15th. Come on down! We will be at Primo's banquet hall around Keystone and 65 on the south side of Indianapolis. Get tickets here: https://www.friendsofnra.org/EventDetails.aspx?eid=14050&sid=15 (if you want a $100 ticket package, buy the $40 online and then email Mark - his info is on the order page)
    More info on this banquet here: http://www.facebook.com/SouthIndyFNRA
    Or shoot me a PM. Hope to see you there!

Top Bottom