Did you know you can go onto craigslist and buy a gun right now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    "You can find just about anything on Craigslist, including guns. With the click of a mouse, we found hundreds right here in Indianapolis - and for any price you could have one."

Just checked the Indy CL & other than nail guns, spray guns, & paintball guns... zip, zilch, nada. Crap, they musta fixed Craigslist.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I HAVE purchased a pistol off of CL, a nice early model FM Hi-power. Listing was on CL for about an hour before it was flagged & removed. Guess I was lucky. Seller lives six miles from me, right across the MI/IL line so we went through an IN FFL.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    We as the gun community failed these kids. One died because we did not educate his friends about safe gun handling.

I am not kidding.

It is our responsibility. We are failing and kids are dieing because of it.

If someone had taught those kids to handle firearms properly, the last thing in the world they would have done would be to point a gun at their friend and pull the trigger.

This makes me sick.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    That's because it is, look at the date. :D

I had an argument on Facebook that day with one of the shooter's friends. Me and my family were threatened with death because I didn't believe the gun was at fault. Makes sense.

Yah, I know it is. Hence the reason I commented on it.

I guess she's back in the news now trying to push for new gun laws is my guess.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    They say that Edwards, 18 years old, bought the gun. If so, and he isn't a felon, then it was a legal purchase and he is at fault for allowing it to be misused. You can't fix stupidity.

If he was a felon, then it was an illegal purchase. There are already laws against felons owning or purchasing firearms. The media is just trying to create another anti-gun argument.

It's sad that these accidents happen. :(

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I was sitting there with family when that aired and was like...

No you can't that is against the terms of use of Craigslist, but you can go on Armlist and buy without a background check, just like *blank (family friend)* sold me his 12 gauge....

I know there are some people that post guns on Cl, but if I ever see them I flag and report the ad as illegal activity via email to staff. ( because in CA where CL is located private sales are restricted and must go through FFL ) and the TOU of CL state all posters, even those here in IN must not post anything that is prohibited or restricted under CA law.

If someone is selling guns on craigslist, I don't want to buy from them. If they cannot follow a simple policy, then they probably don't follow laws either, and the gun could be stolen or they could be felons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We as the gun community failed these kids. One died because we did not educate his friends about safe gun handling.

I am not kidding.

It is our responsibility. We are failing and kids are dieing because of it.

If someone had taught those kids to handle firearms properly, the last thing in the world they would have done would be to point a gun at their friend and pull the trigger.

This makes me sick.

No, we are not failing as most of us do all we can to educate the youth. Like any other group some will listen....most will not.
    I know adults that have life time LTCH and I will not go anywhere near them at a range. Irresponsible people are everywhere. There are no age limits. Just like having a drivers license....some can drive....most can not.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN

How bout we start teaching gun safety in schools. Same logic as teaching sex education.

"Some kids are going to have sex anyway so we better teach them all about safe sex."

Well...

"Some kids are going to get guns anyway so we better teach them all about gun safety."

Back in the day our shop teacher and biology teacher taught us boys about the proper handling of firearms and shared some gory stories to make their point. Made a good impression and knocked the stupid out of our mushy heads.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    How bout we start teaching gun safety in schools. Same logic as teaching sex education.

"Some kids are going to have sex anyway so we better teach them all about safe sex."

Well...

"Some kids are going to get guns anyway so we better teach them all about gun safety."

Back in the day our shop teacher and biology teacher taught us boys about the proper handling of firearms and shared some gory stories to make their point. Made a good impression and knocked the stupid out of our mushy heads.

Good point. Indianapolis public schools used to have firearms training many years ago. (This was in the 1940's.) I had a female relative that learned to use a .22 rifle at Shortridge High School. She even had a certificate for being a marksman.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Well...

I am in favor of teaching marksmanship and safe firearms handling in school.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am in favor of teaching marksmanship and safe firearms handling in school.

I am of the younger generation but from what my parents and others have said hunters safety used to be commonly taught in elementary school. I everyone had a lesson or two on basic firearms safety we would have less "accidents".

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This story aired tonight... It was an update to the original shooting back in October. Here is a link to the new story: Mom of dead teen: A gun is not a toy

I've already seen a bunch of posts (on our site/facebook page) saying we "didn't do our homework" and other things. I shot the footage in the story last night. When I searched "AK47", "AK 47" and "AK-47" I found zero pages titled selling an actual AK. However, there were a few titled "BUY AND SELL SILVER AND GOLD!!!" and similarly unrelated titles - then inside that page, a blatant pitch for a FTF transaction. As of tonight, those pages are gone (either by the user or CL).

I also found many, many glocks/shotguns/etc for TRADE. Guy said he'd trade xbox's and games, one offered a lawn mower, etc. IMHO it wouldn't be hard for someone to get there hands on a lawn mower and attempt to make that transaction.

With all of that being said - I believe we made it explicitly clear these are all LEGAL transactions.
    Edwards wasn't charged for buying the gun. It's not illegal in Indiana to buy or carry a rifle, and buying it online from a private seller doesn’t require a background check.

As for the Mom and their cause -- It really all boils down to gun education for them. They had some statements that lean towards a liberally ideology about guns... but even she said she wished her son, sons' friends were educated about guns and gun safety. First and foremost.
    "Nick still could be living if Kevin knew about guns, if his 15-year-old brother knew about guns," King said.

On a personal note. I've been shooting since I was 4. My father was South Bend PD. I religiously teach new shooters the 4 Rules. I disagree that you shouldn't be allowed to buy guns online through private party sales, we should.

But personally I believe in the family's message that everyone should know gun safety principles, especially children. If the 15 year old who accidentally shot and killed his best friend had followed any 1 of the 4 Rules, he'd still be alive today.

How could you not be in support of that message?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This was October of last year....

I noticed that they said most about gun safety. I have to wonder since it was ONLY mentioned once...if the reporter made a comment about that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I understand what you are saying but go to any gun show and see how many times you see people pointing guns at people and pulling triggers. Bet ya it is a bunch.

Try to explain to someone who has been around guns that guns are dangerous. You will get a yelling match. "Eye been around gunz all MEYE lie-feh."

We did teach him; we taught him wrong.

I believe stories like this are evidence for my argument of mandatory firearms education in schools.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    While I agree we should teach firearms safety in school...

Think about the uproar if a rogue teacher decided to do some training in class...maybe with toy guns...or even just a slide show.

They'd be fired and put on the front page of the NY Times as a right wing extremist corrupting the minds of children.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My idea involves passing statutes in the General Assembly, not the actions of a rogue teacher. The force of law will allow us to shape the culture.

Capture the enemy's guns and turn them around.

Top Bottom