Did you register with the Selective Service?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Needed it to get college assistance, and also for my earnest enlistment attempts... and it was still necessary even after my hearing loss DQd me from military service

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I registered down at the post office in Edwardsburg, MI. My older son registered online. My younger son will as well in a few months.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    im 27. ive been asked a simple yes/no, but even proof of registration, prior to many 'adult' things. more times than I have the fingers and toes to count...

I kinda wonder how a young male could get away with not registering

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have not registered, but I enlisted before I turned 18.
    Enlisted on the deferment program.

Interesting side note, I was part of what was known as the "Hoosier Platoon"
    U.S.M.C. recruiters enlisted an entire platoon of Marines in early 1977.
    We all graduated high school in May and left for M.CR.D. San Diego in July.
    We were all gathered somewhere in downtown Indy and there was a ceremony where the Governor of Indiana presented us as a platoon to our senior drill instructor.
    They also presented our drill instructor with an Indiana state flag, and my platoon carried that state flag everywhere we went.

Upon graduation, our names were embroidered on that Indiana state flag and it was presented to the Lt Governor of Indiana.
    It supposedly now resides in the Indiana War Memorial.

Never did register, and don't see the point now.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have not registered, but I enlisted before I turned 18.
    Enlisted on the deferment program.

Interesting side note, I was part of what was known as the "Hoosier Platoon"
    U.S.M.C. recruiters enlisted an entire platoon of Marines in early 1977.
    We all graduated high school in May and left for M.CR.D. San Diego in July.
    We were all gathered somewhere in downtown Indy and there was a ceremony where the Governor of Indiana presented us as a platoon to our senior drill instructor.
    They also presented our drill instructor with an Indiana state flag, and my platoon carried that state flag everywhere we went.

Upon graduation, our names were embroidered on that Indiana state flag and it was presented to the Lt Governor of Indiana.
    It supposedly now resides in the Indiana War Memorial.

Never did register, and don't see the point now.
    Like a few of us here you most likely fell into the period of no sign up. Most like you just enlisted.

Men born from March 29, 1957 through December 31, 1959, were not required to register with the Selective Service System because the registration program was suspended when they would have reached age 18.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    My apologies on resurrecting a dormant thread BUT had an oddity occur at our house yesterday and thought I would pull out the big spoon and give it a stir...

My adult son registered w/ the Selective Service when he turned 18, that was approx 3 years ago. YESTERDAY he received a letter from them that included his 'official' registration acknowledgement card. It also had a few advertisement documents encouraging him to look into the various careers available in the military.

My spidey senses are freaking out. I've got a second son, newly minted 18 yr old, who hasn't registered yet but will be doing so shortly...but with the military missing their recruitment goals, going completely woke, missing the mark in their preparations for war (because lets face it, they have ONE JOB TO DO and have been running around doing everything BUT that job) I'm a bit on edge. Is this letter just a precursor to a compulsory military service model? I'm completely reading between the lines but it took them three years to send out a registration acknowledgement? And the envelope is packed with 'come work for us' type of materials???

So this is their new advertising campaign? What happens when this doesn't work? We have three sons 22 yrs old and under...after the current administrations near constant disregard for our soldiers AND the traitorous actions of the White House in Afghanistan...I'm not feeding it my children.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it was when I was applying for my current job at the VA I had to include my SSS registration number. One of the attachments I sent them was my DD 214... but I still had to give them my SSS registration number.
    Government flunkies are nothing if not pigheaded.

When I registered, it was called the draft board

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If I remember right I got a letter in the mail before turning 18. Can’t remember exactly but I think I got a happy birthday letter that came with a Gillette razor and a government lottery ticket for a chance to win a free vacation to any place of the government’s choosing.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My apologies on resurrecting a dormant thread BUT had an oddity occur at our house yesterday and thought I would pull out the big spoon and give it a stir...

My adult son registered w/ the Selective Service when he turned 18, that was approx 3 years ago. YESTERDAY he received a letter from them that included his 'official' registration acknowledgement card. It also had a few advertisement documents encouraging him to look into the various careers available in the military.

My spidey senses are freaking out. I've got a second son, newly minted 18 yr old, who hasn't registered yet but will be doing so shortly...but with the military missing their recruitment goals, going completely woke, missing the mark in their preparations for war (because lets face it, they have ONE JOB TO DO and have been running around doing everything BUT that job) I'm a bit on edge. Is this letter just a precursor to a compulsory military service model? I'm completely reading between the lines but it took them three years to send out a registration acknowledgement? And the envelope is packed with 'come work for us' type of materials???

So this is their new advertising campaign? What happens when this doesn't work? We have three sons 22 yrs old and under...after the current administrations near constant disregard for our soldiers AND the traitorous actions of the White House in Afghanistan...I'm not feeding it my children.
    I truly as an American dont know how gracefully to respond to that statement.

Both of mine enlisted at 17 and 10 months each, they were two years apart and turned 18 on MCRD Parris Island.
    Going into the Marine Corps was the bestist thing that my sons or myself ever have done.
    My Older son said he wanted to belong to something greater than himself, self-sufficiency and honor.
    Its a powerful pull for some young adults.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom