• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I'm looking for some advice/guidance. After mildly toying around with reloading using a Lee 1000, I jumped into the deep end of the pool and bought a Dillon 650 XL. Overall, I'm very satisfied. The only thing I'm not completely satisfied with is the adjustment of the Dillon dies. As I am working up different loads with varying bullets and powders, I'm constantly needing to change the seating depth. Is there a die that makes this adjustment easier than using 2 different wrenches all of the time? I know this is a temporary issue as I hope to settle on a combination in the future, but for the time being this is a pain in the arse.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    Lee dies are good. Only thing I have left from my "red" days.....

5efe691308c99b54eb0a71fffb696774.jpg

Last edited:

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Hornady seating die with a micrometer attachment, or the Redding Competition seating die. Then you just need to rotate the Mike portion of the die to change the seating depth. Not particularly cheap, but works very well for this situation.

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Thank you for the advice guys, I'll check out the Redding and the Hornady. Unfortunately, Slasher the Lee dies are too short to work in the 650 XL.... At least thats what the Dillon rep told me.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I've used lee dies in a Dillon 650 for 45 acp and 35 rem. You do need to flip the lock nut upside down or use a slimmer lock nut.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I like my lee dies, but I really need to get back into it been doing so much brass prep. I think I'm finally caught up to start working my loads.

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I've used lee dies in a Dillon 650 for 45 acp and 35 rem. You do need to flip the lock nut upside down or use a slimmer lock nut.

Great! I've got Lee 45 ACP. However, I'm currently working up 9mm loads with an eye towards IDPA.

As a side note, does anyone have an idea of the value of a complete Lee 1000 with 38 spl and 45 ACP shell carrier groups & dies? I never actually created any ammo with it. I set it up and mounted it then, while waiting on components, I decided to go with the Dillon. I bought the Dillon with 9mm and 45 ACP, so I might as well sell Lee.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    Lee dies older than year 2000 are shorter. Newer than that you fine. Just use the dillon lockrings as i did in my pics. 550 and 650 toolheads are very clost to the same thickness. As for your Pro1000, clean it up real nice and put it on ebay if you want top dollar. You will get atleast 90% of your money back. Reloading stuff sells well on ebay still but dont expect to get 5x your money like 1 year ago.. I sold my classic turret with a 20 year old 9mm die set and got $462 + $54 shipping.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Lee factory crimp dies are great for getting a full height resize of straight walled pistol cartridges. Until they outlaw Glocks like they should (unsupported portion of the brass = Glock bulge at base on 45's & 40's, have not had issues with 9's but for $25 ish I use that die on 9's anyway I still like the independent crimp adjustment) you may find you need them for best reliability with range pick up brass.

The Redding comp seating die is just sweet, your oal fiddling will decrease as you get some pet recipes, but many still find reasons to change oal as a long term thing. For 40's the oal that works best in 1 of my guns (2011) will not even fit in the mag of another (XD) so I don't see ever getting to a set it and forget it operation. Not cheap though.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Lee dies are good. Only thing I have left from my "red" days.....

I am going with this. I have Hornady, RCBS', Dillion, Lee and one set of Redding dies. Outside of Redding's (very expensive) I like the Lee better than any. I absolutely HATE the Hornady dies FWIW. Funny because I think the Lee's are the least expensive.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    You can also put the lock ring under the die plate if needed.

If you are only loading 10 or 20 cases put a couple turns of Teflon tape on the stem of the bullet seater. That will hold it snug enough.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Everytime I see the title of this thread the first thing that pops into my head is
    "on your feet fighting for what you love" or "try to do so with a little dignity."
    Sorry.

Sometimes being an irreverent smart ass gets you in trouble.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Thank you for the advice guys, I'll check out the Redding and the Hornady. Unfortunately, Slasher the Lee dies are too short to work in the 650 XL.... At least thats what the Dillon rep told me.

I use a lot of Lee dies in my 650. Haven't had an issue yet.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Redding competition seating die FTMFW.

Micrometer adjustment, spring loaded sleeve bullet alignment -it's simply the best you can buy.

The dillon also would benefit from a better/tighter fit toolhead. CNC Machined 550/650 Toolheads for more consistent ammo.

Top Bottom