• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    So, I know this much. The RCBS Short Base Die is used for auto feed rifles, and Full Length is needed for bolt action. The questions I have are:
    1. Why is the "Full Length" more expensive?
    2. What is the physical difference in how one sizes the case as apposed to the other?
    3. In which do I re-size actual .223 and which is needed for 5.56.

I guess the same question arises in regard to LEE .223 case-sizing/decapping dies.:dunno:

Last edited:

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    So, I know this much. The RCBS Short Base Die is used for auto feed rifles, and Full Length is needed for bolt action. The questions I have are:
    1. Why is the "Full Length" more expensive?
    2. What is the physical difference in how one sizes the case as apposed to the other?
    3. In which do I re-size actual .223 and which is needed for 5.56.

I guess the same question arises in regard to LEE .223 case-sizing/decapping dies.:dunno:

I guess I really came up with a doozy of a question. No one can answer it, out of 60 views!:laugh:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    There are several types of dies you can use for both 223 and 5.56. Some dies resize the neck and shoulders back to the original factory specs (regular sizing dies) and some resize the entire length of the case - to within 1-2mm of the base (full length dies.) You can use either for either type of rifle, but you'll get better results in a semi-auto with FL die sets, since you don't need fire formed brass for better accuracy. Also, if you use FL die sets, you may be required to trim your brass more often, since resizing the full case can cause elongation. Remember, brass is fluid.

Full length dies are more expensive because they do more, and are required to have tighter tolerances than standard 'neck sizing' dies.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Sometimes the results are not pretty if the die bodies are dirty - that's for sure. Since i'm only shooting ammo in my own guns and not selling it, I've never made an issue of it. Using the collet dies solves most of that for me. I very very rarely have to FL size anything.

I have a shooting buddy that won't touch a die that isn't a Redding - but he still has all kinds of grief that I've never noticed with my Lee dies at less than half the price.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    RCBS Small Base dies size the entire case .001-002 smaller than saami specs for improved feeding in semi-auto chambers.

I can't for the life of me see why this would be useful - and i think it would greatly reduce brass life.

Anyone ever load with the small base dies ? Care to help the OP out ?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Small based dies are made for rifles with less camming force, like pump and semi-auto rifles. I've got some .308 military brass thats' been fired in M-60's and after resizing with my normal Lee dies, they are still hard to chamber. They would no chamber in my M-14 and M1A I had. Some full auto guns allow the base to expand more than more common actions do. Or possibly it's because fo more generous chambers for excessive fouling. I do know that .223 brass fired in my AC-556 even on full auto resizes very easily.

If you are reloading brass that has been fired in your rifle I'd not worry about the small based dies.

Honestly, i cannot reccomend Lee dies highly enough. I've loaded plenty of .223 ammo that would group into 1/4" @ 100 yards out of a couple of Ruger V/T77's. I've had very good luck overall with all of my Lee dies and am slowly replacing other brands with Lees as problems arise.

Doug K

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    For those of us who reload for autoloaders (M14, M1) and use once fired brass, small base dies are a godsend. That being said, I also do not regularly fire my brass more than 3 or 4 times as the autoloaders are a bit rough on it.

I have Lee, RCBS and Dillon dies and would recommend any or all!

Top Bottom