• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    You will note in the photo, the top target, though the shots are not in the bulls eye, they are fairly tightly grouped. In the bottom target there are five shots all over the target which is why I stopped shooting. I was at 100 yards fine tuning a fairly new scope on my AR. I started with the top target. My first several shots were high and right. Made appropriate adjustment and was closer but ran out of ammo (I had been shooting at a closer range earlier). I changed mags and moved to the bottom target. The top target was with American Eagle AR 223 brand (something I picked up at Wally world). They are made by Federal. The bottom target was with Brown Bear steel case. Pretty significant difference. Is this just the difference in Manufacturers?

AR%252520target%2525207.23.11.JPG

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Larry, the bullet is everything. Third world combat ammo has junky bullets that do not spin concentrically, so the groups open up. Match bullets accuracy is measured in MOA, minute of angle, Combat ammo only has to be "MOM" minute of man) That is why a Sierra matchking bullet costs almost as much as a lower quality complete round.
    I have actually improvised match ammo when time was too short to prepare good match ammo. After putting the issued ammo in a press, and pulling the combat bullet with a pair of mechanics pliers and a big washer, properly seat a Sierra MatchKing bullet. No sizeing, no measuring the powder, nothing fancy, just swapping the bullet. The groups were 1/3rd the size. Not as good as reall match ammo, but a lot better than combat ammo.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Larry, the bullet is everything. Third world combat ammo has junky bullets that do not spin concentrically, so the groups open up. Match bullets accuracy is measured in MOA, minute of angle, Combat ammo only has to be "MOM" minute of man) That is why a Sierra matchking bullet costs almost as much as a lower quality complete round.
    I have actually improvised match ammo when time was too short to prepare good match ammo. After putting the issued ammo in a press, and pulling the combat bullet with a pair of mechanics pliers and a big washer, properly seat a Sierra MatchKing bullet. No sizeing, no measuring the powder, nothing fancy, just swapping the bullet. The groups were 1/3rd the size. Not as good as reall match ammo, but a lot better than combat ammo.

Thanks much. I love to shoot but know very little about the technical stuff.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Russian made stuff isn't cheap for a reason. Some of it is better than others, but very rarely will they come close to good ammo from a major manufacturer like Federal.

You probably know this already, so forgive me because it isn't stated, but you did get your rifle warmed up before you shot for accuracy? The top group is nice for a cold rifle, the bottom group is normal for cheap Russian steel cased blasting ammo. I know you stated you were shooting at a closer range earlier, but was the rifle still warm?

Top Bottom