• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Ok I soon will be a first time hand gun buyer before the end of the year.
    I am kinda shopping/looking around and seeing what I think I would like.

I have heard about the GLOCK series of hand gun. It seems to be famous.

Now a friend of mine told me they are not a good gun and compared a glock to gun you would buy at a dollar store versus other guns youd buy at a premium shop.

I have no experience really with a glock.

Can any experienced people post WHY or WHY not a glock is better than any other gun?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Glock is NOT better than every gun out there. S&W and 1911 isn't the best gun out there either.

THE best gun out there is the one that's best FOR YOU.

I carry a Glock, and will soon be carrying a S&W.

Just go out, fondle and shoot every gun that you can. And choose the best one for you!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Agreed. Its whats best for you. I carry a Glock, I love it. Its a simple gun to clean, very little as far as cleaning and care go. But like mentioned shoot as many different guns that you can, and make your own decision.

-MColford

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Handle/hold all the different guns you can. Shoot some different ones if possible. The best one is the one YOU like the most.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    All, of the above posts, are good advice, Handle as MANY handguns, as possible.... make up YOUR own mind, I am a S&W FAN, big time, glocks, just don't "fit" me..... all firearms, are reliable, the major brands, anyway, every one, has an issue, now and again..... don't let the bashers, of one brand or another, steer you wrong..... LISTEN, look and handle, and make YOUR decision.... GOOD LUCK ..... :twocents:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would highly recommend shooting different calibers as well as different makes of gun. Find the right combination of power and control that YOU like, then try to find a gun with the right feel and features that will also fit your budget. Also note that revolvers feel and act very different from semi auto's, so you might want to shoot several of each before you settle on anything. Fair warning: once you get 1 gun, you'll soon find others that you will like just as much... and then the addiction sets in!! :rockwoot:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Another vote for try before you buy. Glock is not my brand, but they are a very good brand and if you like them, you have no reason to shy away.

Oh, and welcome to INGO. :ingo:

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Or.....

You can kill 2 birds with one stone. Go to an INGO meet. Pretty much everyone here is open to "sharing their toys" and you can meet the people you are talking to.

-MColford

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Now a friend of mine told me they are not a good gun and compared a glock to gun you would buy at a dollar store versus other guns youd buy at a premium shop.

Your friend is mostly wrong but also sort of right all at the same time. He is mostly wrong because what defines a premium gun is really dependent on what you place a premium on.

If you want a really pretty gun with fancy target sights, a perfect trigger and 1.5" at 50 yards accuracy, then a Glock is not a premium product.

If you want a gun that places from over function, is flawlessly reliable, easy to take care of and simple to operate, then a Glock is a premium product. And for just over $500, very competitively priced.

In a way, guns are like pick-up trucks. You can get pretty much whatever you want and the only limit is money and your imagination. Some people like to drive a super fancy trucks with leather seats and every option other than the kitchen sink. My neighbor on the other hand, drives a 15 year old Chevy. It is not flashy by any means, but it is relatively cheap to own, reliable and at the end of long day on the lake, will still tow his boat out of the water....

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    your friend is right. Glocks are complete crap. They are as ugly as a warthog, and who in the world did they design the grip for?! My guess is aliens. They feel like a brick tied on to the end of a 2x4. You're not supposed to shoot lead ammo through them (unless you spend another $100+ for an aftermarket barrel. Did I mention how ugly they are?? Of course, this is just my opinion, and for every opinion like mine you will find another that absolutely loves them. I've never pulled the trigger on a Glock that didn't do exactly what it was supposed to do. Hold them, fondle them, shoot them if you can, and develop your own opinion

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Yep ur friends right,65% of le carries dollar store plastic toy guns.....give me a break! I'm not saying glock is the "best"...but its a reliable defense weapon that id trust my life with....I get real tired of the bashing...

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    ^^^^^ what he said. Anyone that says that Glocks are junk is a fool. They are one of the most, if not THE most, reliable semi auto made because they are about the simplest. But they aren't for everybody. I don't like shooting them because of the weird grip angle. I wish I did though cause I would have about 10 of them! You wont go wrong buying a Glock

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    my advice..... buy them all.

When you pull the trigger on a glock it goes bang almost every time. Great guns. You will most likely be happy with any gun that works and feels good. My advice is pick up a glock 19. If you don't hate it, then you will love it.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I hate glocks. I cant stand how they feel in my hand. They are ugly and fat. I traded a xdm for a g26 just to sell it since i couldnt sell the xdm. Then i figured since im at the gun shop with the range doing the transfer i give it a wirl. I still own that g26. I also now own a g32, building a g20, and i about to trade for a g19. I had a g17 i traded and wish i didnt. I carry my g26 and my g32. I still hate how they feel in my hand but I LOVE how they shoot. My point is shoot them dont just feel them. There is a big difference how they feel when the go bang as to how a gun feels fondling them at the shop.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    It was mentioned already but go to a INGO meet & you will not only get to handle several pistols but shoot them as well.I have had several types of handguns & my personal favorite is the 1911 but I also have a Glock 22 in my collection that usually sits on my nightstand(it has a light on the rail )its a very reliable no nonsense pistol with no safeties to contend with other than whats on the trigger & pretty easy for the average person to get used to.(My wife who has been a die hard revolver person has recently found favor with my Glock ,its one of the few autos that she can manipulate the slide due to a old wrist injury)

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ok here's my advice Im not against glocks but if your lookin for striker fire look towards xd or xdm but if you want some advice on which gun to look at mine would be sig I believe it's a sig p226? It's what the seals use or a h&k usp 40, great reliable guns a little pricey but if your lifes on the line does money matter? Or you can do what I did go get a raging judge it shoots 410g 45 LC and the big boy 454 casull in case a bear try's to car jack me lol

Superj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Florida
    The first pistol I bought was a S&W 915. My "gun nut" friends twisted my arm into to believing that if it was not a Sig Sauer, my pistol was garbage. They also spouted off that Glocks were just common and cheaply made, sufficient, but not the best. I've owned several Sigs, H&Ks and other "quality" firearms and now fast forward to today and you find me carrying Glock pistols. Don't let snobbery or the expense of the firearm distract you from many of the firearms on the market.

Try to hit the range and borrow or rent a few of the pistols that you are interested in so you can see what works best for you and your needs as well as your skill level.

Have fun and be safe

J

Top Bottom