• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Profire has one in his new shop. Like mine very much. Quick and easy. He is an advertiser here. Click on the red and white shield with the star on it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I just ordered one from Dillion direct. I watched them in action on youtube. I appears it does need modified to speed up the process. I was wondering if the swage is good and clean 100 % of the time and does the primers seat easily after the process.
    Thanks guys

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I like mine. One word of caution: when you get "in the grove" on swagging, be careful and keep the shell in center. Not doing so will cause the 'punch' to nick the side of the primer pocket. :xmad:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I just ordered one from Dillion direct. I watched them in action on youtube. I appears it does need modified to speed up the process. I was wondering if the swage is good and clean 100 % of the time and does the primers seat easily after the process.
    Thanks guys

I've been using mine for about two years now and love it. When you say it "needs modified" are you talking about the rubberband and string mod on youtube? I tried that...It does work, but it's kinda fussy. I think it's faster just to leave it as is. Seems it would take about 10mins to get the sting set back up after it went wrong.

I have been wanting to try another trick for it....Dillon Precision. Scroll down to the bottom and there some plastic inserts that help align the case. Also has a link to the rubberband video. What the others said is correct if you don't have it centered it will eat your brass up.

It is a great tool!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have never seen one of these in person yet. What I have in mind is attaching the cartridge holder/rod to the lever so that when one moves so does the other. It will probably require making some extra parts ect but that is the plan.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have been wanting to try another trick for it....Dillon Precision.
    :n00b:

I'm a big supporter of the free market and all, but just because you're the only source for something doesn't meant you have to rape people on it. $27 for 2 small pieces of plastic? Those can likely be made for mere pennies...

BTW, I have a Super Swage... best money I've spent on a single reloading tool... fast, effortless, and does a fanstastic job.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't have a Dillon super swager, or any other swager. Looks like a $100 solution to a $5 problem, if ya ask me.

Buy counter-sink bit.
    Chuck it up in cordless drill.
    Run drill at low speed with one hand.
    Cut away crimp while holding brass with other hand.

This is incredibly fast, easy and dang near free. :twocents:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I don't have a Dillon super swager, or any other swager. Looks like a $100 solution to a $5 problem, if ya ask me.

Buy counter-sink bit.

I have done all sorts of different things to remove crimps. All seemed to work OK but none so far have been perfect or efficient. After all Lake City crimps are not very aggressive on 5.56. What I have used the most is a RCBS chamfer tool chucked uo in my cordless drill. It is fast and works but it is still easy to miss a little on one side or the other. I use a Hornady LNL-AP and I like to feel the primers slide in nicely with reasonable resistance.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Buy counter-sink bit.

And when I'm done removing the crimp from 2,000 rounds in 2 1/2 hours I'll be drinking a beer enjoying dinner and relaxing while you're still hard at work removing the crimps and later complaining about how much your hand hurts from holding that brass in the drill. :):

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    And when I'm done removing the crimp from 2,000 rounds in 2 1/2 hours I'll be drinking a beer enjoying dinner and relaxing while you're still hard at work removing the crimps and later complaining about how much your hand hurts from holding that brass in the drill. :):

Ya think so? Try doing 20 cases both ways. ;)

I'm not saying the Dillon is ineffective, but it is simply NOT as fast as doing this process with a drill. It takes maybe 5 seconds per case using the drill...usually closer to 3 seconds. If your hands hurt from holding the brass, you were pressing way too hard.

I've had more than one guy come back and say, "Huh...it really IS that easy. Why did I blow $100 on a tool that I will only use 1 time on any given case??"

I will freely admit that the various swaging tools give you more of a factory look to your primer pocket, but none of them are as fast, simple or inexpensive as a plain ol' counter-sink bit. :ingo:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ya think so? Try doing 20 cases both ways. ;)

I'm not saying the Dillon is ineffective, but it is simply NOT as fast as doing this process with a drill. It takes maybe 5 seconds per case using the drill...usually closer to 3 seconds. If your hands hurt from holding the brass, you were pressing way too hard.

I've had more than one guy come back and say, "Huh...it really IS that easy. Why did I blow $100 on a tool that I will only use 1 time on any given case??"

I will freely admit that the various swaging tools give you more of a factory look to your primer pocket, but none of them are as fast, simple or inexpensive as a plain ol' counter-sink bit. :ingo:
    I've done it both ways; I was once a cheap-skate too and refused to pay for a special tool when a cheap counter-sink bit would work. I finally saw the light and I won't turn back now. I can say hands-down, the Dillon wins by a large margin in speed, ease of use, and clean looking primer pockets. Would you like to have a friendly little competition? You can do your way, I'll do my way and we'll see who can finish up 1000 cases faster.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    ^^+1 to this. Lets race through a 5 gallon bucket of military range brass and see who wins. I've used bits and the Hornady reamer in a drill and it works just fine, but it's messy, noisy and at the end of the day it is removing brass from your cases where as the Dillon just pushes it back where it belongs. I bought a bunch of brass from the brassman on special a couple years ago. It ended up being 2 5 gallon buckets worth. That's when I bought the superswage I don't believe for a second that the drill bit is faster or simply NOT as effective as the Dillon tool.

"I've had more than one guy come back and say, "Huh...it really IS that easy. Why did I blow $100 on a tool that I will only use 1 time on any given case??"

Huh? Are you running some kind of secret underground reloading club?

I agree if you only run into a few crimped primers here and there it is not worth the $100, but if you are going to do LOTS of them it is worth every penny and more. I have seen way more than one guy on this forum post with the same opinion.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I've done it both ways; I was once a cheap-skate too and refused to pay for a special tool when a cheap counter-sink bit would work. I finally saw the light and I won't turn back now. I can say hands-down, the Dillon wins by a large margin in speed, ease of use, and clean looking primer pockets. Would you like to have a friendly little competition? You can do your way, I'll do my way and we'll see who can finish up 1000 cases faster.

Let's make it a race! I have 3500 9mm that need swagged you can use those :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    only downside is it works best when running a single head stamp. sometimes I have mixed headstamp for practice ammo and I end up sorting just for primer swage step because you have to adjust for different case head thickness. otherwise it works well.

-rvb

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

"...ease of use, and clean looking primer pockets." I will agree it wins, there, although how hard is it to hold a case head against the face of a cutter?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you finish 5 or 10 minutes ahead of me...you now have a $100 paper weight and I've got a tool I can countersink screws with on my next wood-working project. The fact is, the Dillon maybe nearly as fast, but unless you can swage a case in less than 3 seconds, there is no way it "wins by a large margin in speed".

In fact, if I wanted to, I could really make it into a production and use my bench-top vise. Chuck up the bit, set the speed on low, pick up a case with my left hand while the right hand holds another case against the cutter. That would make it even faster and I still wouldn't be stuck with a highly specialized tool, made for 1 time use.

I mean, let's get real, here. Say you bought 1,000 cases that needed to have the crimp removed. Once you've removed the crimp, those cases are good for at least 5 firings, if they're something like 223, and 10, 20 or more firings, if they're a semi-auto pistol case. How much do you shoot that you need a specialized tool for removing a crimp? If you saved even an hour of time, but spent $100 to get there...well, it's your money. Whatever works for you is fine with me.

I'll stick with solutions that work and don't actually make reloading more expensive. :)

Top Bottom