• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been reloading for a while now and have had a lot of luck using a single stage press. But, it's not the fast way to get the job done. Over the last several months, I've saved enough to upgrade to a Dillon but am not sure if I should go with the 550 or the 650XL. My goal is to be able to load a lot of 45 ACP, 380 and 9mm for now, but I also want to be able to turn out .223 as well. With the current equipment I have, I can turn out about 100 rounds of 45 an hour if I really work at it.

The budget supports either the 650XL or the 550. I've been going through the Dillon website and am thinking that I'll order the 650 in part because I'd like to do bulk .223 and it looks like the 650 handles rifle cases better than the 550 does. But, going with the 650 will mean I'll have to purchase the conversion kits over time and with the 550, I could pick up a couple right now.

The question is, for anyone that's used either of these, is it better to go with the 650XL to have the higher output now, or go with the 550 and get everything I need once?

Thanks,

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Probably a personal choice. Many on here will tell you the 650 is better than sliced bread. I came from a single stage myself and went with the 550 for the very reason you quote, I could buy everything I wanted for less.
    I load .223 and 9mm so far and I am not sure how the 650 would do better with rifle cases unless you went the extra mile and got the case feeder.
    How much do you need to load? I was able to turn a career on my single stage into a part time job on my 550.

blue edge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have both. My thoughts how many rounds per year do you shoot? how many calibers do you or do you plan on reloading??

LOTS of rounds per year 1 or 2 calibers = 650
    LOTS of differant calibers 3 plus = 550

With a 650 yes for a casefeeder and a MR BULLET FEEDER

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, we go through about 200 rounds per week. We do tend to reload a bunch of different calibers though. I'm planning to load 45 and 9mm with it to start but would eventually add 380, 223 and 7.62x54. The main goal for now is to be able to do more shooting in our main calibers.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Huh. thats the first time I have heard the 650 handles rifle cartriges better.

Learn something every day.

If I had a Dillon <I dont. I am a "Reluctant Red" owner> I would get a 650.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Personal preference really. Just remember that everything is upgradable. If you can't swing it, just get a casefeeder later on down the road. The biggest mechanical advantage of the 650 is the auto indexing. I like that the tool head has 5 holes so that you can add a bullet feeder (won't work with cast lead I hear) or powder check die.

The best thing to do is find each press and load a few rounds yourself, that will probably make your decision for you.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I used a 550 for years and finally got a 650. I should have done it a long time ago! IMO 650 is worth every penny and the case feeder as well. Between the more automated process (auto index and case feed) with the powder checker, I get more ammo in less time with less problems.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I made Grand Master in USPSA shooting with a LEE PRO 1000. Understand I am a tight ASS. I have to money to do with as I choose but I am A Tight ASS, so my friends kept telling me to buy a Dillon Press. I said what you, except me to layout $ 700 for a reloading press, are you nuts.So one year for Christmas my wife she said she would give $300 for a Christmas gift so I went the rest and got a 650. So why did I go through all those years of using a Lee. Get you a 650 and just get "R" done. You wont be sorry.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have both. Started with the 550 and have the setup to run around 12 different calibers on it. Been using it probably close to 17 years without the first issue. This year I got the itch for something bigger and better so I purchased the 650 with all the bells and whistles. It is a nice press and it can turn out a lot of ammo in a short time.

I still have my 550 and use it for everything but 9mm & .45ACP. Those two calibers I do in large quantities on the 650. For rifle calibers and some of the lower quantity runs I prefer the 550. In fact there are a lot of times I run my 550 more like a single stage press especially when I'm working on load development on a new gun.

The 550 is faster, cheaper, and easier to setup than the 650 when jumping between calibers.

If I could only have one press I would probably pick the 550 just because of the variety of rounds I load and I usually run them in smaller batches. Now if I only had the press to load ammo for USPSA and loaded one or two calibers I would pick the 650 no questions asked.

So it really depends on what your intentions are for the use. If you haven't already done so, go to Brian Enos' site and read what he has to say about picking between the 550 or 650 Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews. Once you decide he is also a good place to buy from. Free shipping and no sales tax! Brian is also great to contact if you have any problems and need help with the press as well as Dillon.

blue edge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I made Grand Master in USPSA shooting with a LEE PRO 1000. Understand I am a tight ASS. I have to money to do with as I choose but I am A Tight ASS, so my friends kept telling me to buy a Dillon Press. I said what you, except me to layout $ 700 for a reloading press, are you nuts.So one year for Christmas my wife she said she would give $300 for a Christmas gift so I went the rest and got a 650. So why did I go through all those years of using a Lee. Get you a 650 and just get "R" done. You wont be sorry.

:rockwoot: YES HE IS A TIGHT A$$!!!!!!!!!!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Do not even bother with the 650 unless you get the casefeeder.
    The 550 is actually capable of more calibers than the 550 from what I have seen.

In reality, the only things you pick up with the 650 are auto-indexing and a 5th location. Auto-indexing is nice, until something goes wrong. You can't back up an auto-indexing press. The fifth location is only a benefit if you put something at that stage, either say a bullet feeder or powder check die.

Casefeeder is a moot point as you can get it for either press. A 550 is the same speed as a 650 without a casefeeder. The only difference with the 550 is having to spin the shellplate with your thumb. This doesn't really slow you down as you do it while you are grabbing a piece of brass anyway...

I believe the decision is this simple...Do you want to use a bullet feeder or powder check die? If you answer yes, then get the 650. If you answer no, the 550 will be everything you will ever need.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Cowboy, thank for pointing me towards Brian Enos's site. I've been going through his site for the last day or so. There's a lot of stuff there and lots of good info has been given in this thread. Thanks guys. Lot's to think about before pulling the trigger.

One thing I did not see mentioned was any differences in the two when it comes to adjusting loads. For instance, if I go from loading 45 ball to 45 HP with a different powder, load and bullet profile, is one easier to make that change to than the other or are they the same in that manner? Lots of info on caliber change but no mention I've found of changes within a caliber.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Cowboy, thank for pointing me towards Brian Enos's site. I've been going through his site for the last day or so. There's a lot of stuff there and lots of good info has been given in this thread. Thanks guys. Lot's to think about before pulling the trigger.

One thing I did not see mentioned was any differences in the two when it comes to adjusting loads. For instance, if I go from loading 45 ball to 45 HP with a different powder, load and bullet profile, is one easier to make that change to than the other or are they the same in that manner? Lots of info on caliber change but no mention I've found of changes within a caliber.

Both presses will work the same as far as adjusting between different bullet profiles and powder charges. However if you are adjusting the bullet seating die with wrenches you will have a little more room on the 550 than the 650.

Best thing to do there is get something like a Redding Competition die. It has marks on it to where you can easily adjust from one bullet profile to the next by simply turning the stem by hand. I use one on my .45 ACP between 230 gr FMJ to 200 gr LSWC.

The other part of your question is adjusting the powder. There is an aftermarket micro adjustment screw out there for your powder measure where you can do basically the same thing as with the competition die but I just manually adjust the powder until I get it right.

Of course the other option if money is no object is to set up a complete tool head with dies and powder measure setup for both. Pull two pins disconnect your powder failsafe and swop the two, about 3 seconds.

Good luck with your decision. You can’t go wrong with Dillon.

Top Bottom