• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just installed this on my newly acquired 650. I'm thoroughly impressed with the way it smoothed out the shell plate advancement. It just rolls into the next position and stops. I'm not sure why this doesn't come standard on a 650. It seems cheap and affective. Maybe it was just not deemed "necessary," but it sure is sweet.

Oh, I also tried just trimming down the ball detent spring a little bit. It was better, but the real improvement was the thrust bearing.

Best $6 upgrade I've spent. Just thought I would share.

Where did I get it? Here:

Go to McMaster-Carr (McMaster Carr - an awesome, just about has everything, parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order!), and get these parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od*
    5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing*

Tomt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks for that info on the thrust bearing. I've had problems when loading 9mm major rounds for an open gun on my 650. The shell plate advance is not totally smooth and the slight jerking throws powder out of the casing on many of the rounds. I load 8 grains of VV N37 which gives an almost full case. Hoping this bearing will smooth it more than just trimming the detent spring. Trimming the spring does help but it still needs some tweaking. I just finished ordering the parts you mentioned and I'll report the results when I get them installed. Tom

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The bearing and shortening the spring are big improvements. Now add a nipple to attach a hose for the spent primers to go into a jar instead of the cup and you'll be golden. I also like the wheel for the powder adjusting nut. It eliminates needing a wrench to adjust the powder.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Since were talking simple 650 improvements. One of the greatest things ever is Hornady Case lube, I shoot just a little bit on my cases and it makes a world of difference, Not enough that it need removed and you dont' have to hit every case Just a quick shot to smooth things up

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Just installed this on my newly acquired 650. I'm thoroughly impressed with the way it smoothed out the shell plate advancement. It just rolls into the next position and stops. I'm not sure why this doesn't come standard on a 650. It seems cheap and affective. Maybe it was just not deemed "necessary," but it sure is sweet.

Oh, I also tried just trimming down the ball detent spring a little bit. It was better, but the real improvement was the thrust bearing.

Best $6 upgrade I've spent. Just thought I would share.

Where did I get it? Here:

Go to McMaster-Carr (McMaster Carr - an awesome, just about has everything, parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order!), and get these parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od*
    5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing*

Thanks for the info--I got my order in..Bill.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Awesome. Just pack it full of grease and install. I tighted the bolt until the shell plate was bound, then backed it off 1/8 turn.

Maybe I should have done a group buy on these things.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I agree. It's worth lubing all of your cases especially if you run a bunch at a time. It's smoother running which translates to less fatigue on your arm. I do clean mine with a quick run through the tumbler with clean media.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Awesome. Just pack it full of grease and install. I tighted the bolt until the shell plate was bound, then backed it off 1/8 turn.

Maybe I should have done a group buy on these things.

Don't bother with the group buy, I have five "kits" sitting in my parts bin!

That said, I didn't have much luck doing this mod and removed the kit.

Sorry, I wish I knew your were doing this mod, I would have gave you one of the kits.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I found that if I rest my finger on the shell plate as it settles that I rarely have any spillage. I may play with the spring and shell plate adjustment to see if I can make it better.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Just picked up this kit with new ball bearing and spring. The shellplate settles smoothly now. However I havent loaded any ammo for a full test yet. But seems like it fixes the issue.

Tomt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    I also have installed the thrust bearing with the washers and noticed a little bit of improvement. After contacting Dillon I did trim the detent ball spring. As I recall I clipped off at least a full coil and maybe a little more with good results. If you trim too much a new spring will be required. So, it's a good idea to have a spare before doing the experimenting. Do the trimming a half coil at a time and see how it affects your machine. If the shell plate movement is still not smooth, trim a little more.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I found a few things on eBay that will help with some of my XL650's shortcomings, one of which is the annoying jostling that occurs when the shellplate indexes, scattering powder all over the place. It's messy, annoying and slows down the reloading process (I mean, what's the point of having a high-volume press like the 650 if you have to go slowly to avoid spilling powder, right?)

One enhancement is a new, lighter pressure spring and phenolic ball to replace the stock spring (or cutting it down) and steel ball. The lighter spring decreases the upward pressure of the ball, and the phenolic ball has far less mass than the steel, thereby decreasing the force imparted to the shellplate when indexing. Combined with adjusting the large bolt properly and securing the lock screw, this REALLY eliminated the shake. Unless I really get into a groove and am whipping along too fast, there is ZERO powder spillage when the shellplate indexes now. None. (Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the spring and ball)

Another gizmo, made by the same guy who supplied the phenolic ball and spring (Mark Richardson), is a nifty modified cam follower with a rotating wheel. Instead of the cam follower just sliding along the cam (requiring some grease, which then becomes messy), Mark made a follower with a roller on the end, which glides effortlessly on the cam. I was unaware of any issue with the stock follower, but there's no doubt that there is very little resistance to this new follower.

IMG_4762a_zpsfceb2ed9.jpg

Another couple of solutions to annoying problems -- spent primers missing the cup and ending up on the floor, and new primers that get skipped for any reason sliding down the "ski ramp" and flying off the end -- are enroute as I type. I'm looking forward to installing those improvements and eliminating those pesky annoyances once and for all!

Top Bottom