• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I have a Dillon 650 progressive press. As an armory we really put it through the paces. I have had two parts wear out or damaged and Dillon has sent replacements right away, no charge and no questions asked. One item I am pretty sure I damaged through stupidity and told them so. They still sent it right away.

Dillon Rocks! I am about to buy two more presses from them.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The no questions asked policy still totally amazes me. Customer service that cannot be beat. Evidently Dillon "gets it" and stands behind their product. Blue koolaid customer for life here.

L999here

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    South Bend,IN
    ..Dillon Dist..

Welcome to the DILLON experience...!!! They have the best equipment for the dollar value. Full disclosure...I'm a DILLON Dist. in South Bend,IN....LOL.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome to the DILLON experience...!!! They have the best equipment for the dollar value. Full disclosure...I'm a DILLON Dist. in South Bend,IN....LOL.

Are you kidding? Dollar value? For the price of a loaded dillon 650, you can have 3 fully loaded Lee's. I don't doubt Dillons are great presses, but saying they are the best value is stretching it a bit. That's like saying a Mercedes Benz is a better dollar value over a Prius.

-JD-

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Are you kidding? Dollar value? For the price of a loaded dillon 650, you can have 3 fully loaded Lee's. I don't doubt Dillons are great presses, but saying they are the best value is stretching it a bit. That's like saying a Mercedes Benz is a better dollar value over a Prius.

-JD-

LOLOLOLOL You're missing the key word in there. "BEST" equpiment....

I've had more than one Lee progressive, spent more time fixing the damn things and adjusting them so they'd run right than I did loading.

My Dillons, set em up, make your adjustments, and go...no muss no fuss.

I'll take a ragged out Dillon that needs rebuilt over a brand new Lee any day of the week.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Your analogy is poor.
    Buy a Dillon and never replace a part for life. That is what I call value.
    You buy a Mercedes and you may get a nice vehicle but every trip to the dealer is $1,000+.

The other side is if you choose to sell your Dillon the value is still very high.
    Stick a Lee on Ebay and you are getting scrap prices.:twocents:

-JD-

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Yep, I got a 650 (small primers) and a 550 (set up for Large primers). Love them both!!!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Buy a Dillon and never replace a part for life.

Is this the reason Dillon sells and recommends buying a spare parts kit? :laugh:

Please don't tell people they won't have to replace a single part for life. I won't deny that Dillon makes a great machine, much better than a Lee if you have the money to drop on one, but it is a MACHINE. Parts break and need replaced. It happens with everything and Dillon reloading presses are no different.

Now I've seen a lot of Dillon vs Lee arguements and what it comes down to is how much money someone wants to spend. Both Lee and Dillon will produce loaded ammunition as long as the person working it is doing their part. It's an opinion/money related arguement that will never be resolved. I say let people spend their money on what they want and squish it.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Is this the reason Dillon sells and recommends buying a spare parts kit? :laugh:

Please don't tell people they won't have to replace a single part for life. I won't deny that Dillon makes a great machine, much better than a Lee if you have the money to drop on one, but it is a MACHINE. Parts break and need replaced. It happens with everything and Dillon reloading presses are no different.

Now I've seen a lot of Dillon vs Lee arguements and what it comes down to is how much money someone wants to spend. Both Lee and Dillon will produce loaded ammunition as long as the person working it is doing their part. It's an opinion/money related arguement that will never be resolved. I say let people spend their money on what they want and squish it.

Well said!

Your analogy is poor.
    Buy a Dillon and never replace a part for life. :

Your understanding of my anology is **** poor. I think its spot on. Mercedes makes a great car. Its a high dollar machine and boy does it ride and drive well. Prius, on the underhand is a great car, but for the dollar, you get further with the Prius. Prius I'm sure rides fine, and performs fine. They both do the SAME job. Same goes for the Lee vs. Dillon. Sure, the dillon is a better machine by far over a Lee, but they both do the SAME job. Yes, it gets you to point A to point B and the rounds come spitting out!

-JD-

Last edited:

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, that's why they have their warranty. If it were such a great product, why even have such a stellar warranty if NOTHING is going to break on them! lol....

I'm not a business major but correct me if I'm wrong...... if a business made a product that would never break, never needed a part, would said business self-destruct? There is only so many of said products to sell.....

Eegatz! I figured it out! That is why Dillon's COST so much.... they are getting everythign they can while they can! *I am now sitting patiently, waiting for Dillon to file for bankruptcy! Then lets see how far your fantastic warranty gets ya! lol....

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Your understanding of my anology is **** poor.

-JD-

Really? don't be a jerk.

Let's look at the definition of an analogy:
    a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based.

Car's, none of which have lifetime no hassle warranties, cannot be compared to a product that does in reference to value for dollars spent.
    If Mercedes had a lifetime no hassle warranty, and you were arguing your prius was a better value, your analogy might be arguable.

I will concede that many people are very happy with their Lee presses. That was not the start of this thread, but like many, someone says something and they spin out of control.

Have a nice day!:)

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    you_fail.jpg

Let me pontificate a little further, since you think I'm being a jerk and start being an interwebz jerk. My point of this discussion was about my disagreement about a statement that Dillon was the BEST DOLLAR VALUE.

Cars do one thing and one thing only. They are a form of transportation. Regardless of a warranty. Have you heard the joke about a warranted POS? I can slap a warranty on a box all day long. Presses do ONE THING REGARDLESS OF warranty.

The analogy was DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR a PRIUS is BETTER than a Mercedes Benz. Dollar for DOLLAR, I feel and many others do as well that Lee is better DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR value. Is Lee better, some say it is, I would say a Dillon is better.

My point was that I can send a problematic progressive press back to Lee in the first and second year and get comparable service. Ok, press breaks, Lee can fix it for less than the cost of said press. Or, I can buy a 2nd press and still be WAY under what a Dillon press costs and STILL be doing the same thing. Puking out reloaded rounds.

I believe it was you that said, buy it once, NEVER need a part. I've been told many times.... when talking with someone, try to not use absolutes. NEVER is an absolute. It has already been established that Dillon sells COMMON break item kits for their presses. But if Dillons don't break, why is their a need for this handy dandy kit or their "kick-butt" warranty? Many have had issues with Dillons because, wait for it, they broke!

People have issues with Dillons maybe not as many as with Lee progressives, but it still happens.

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Really? don't be a jerk.

Let's look at the definition of an analogy:
    a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based.

Car's, none of which have lifetime no hassle warranties, cannot be compared to a product that does in reference to value for dollars spent.
    If Mercedes had a lifetime no hassle warranty, and you were arguing your prius was a better value, your analogy might be arguable.

I will concede that many people are very happy with their Lee presses. That was not the start of this thread, but like many, someone says something and they spin out of control.

Have a nice day!:)

+1 I agree and JonProphet says a Lee has the "best dollar value" but how does he know what the final dollar amount will be spent on a lee? Buy a Lee now for $200 and how long until you have spent another $200 in replacement parts? Granted it will probably be decades but I know that in my lifetime I will not have to spend a DIME fixing broken parts on my Dillon. I can then pass the dillon down to my children (and their children, and their children) who will also not have to spend a dime replacing parts on it.

My father is a perfect example, he reloads on a Dillon RL300 (yes you read that correct, a Dillon RL300). He had it before I was born and its still going. I have my Dillon 550 but when my son is old enough, he will learn on the 300 and guess what... He won't pay a dime to maintain it, neither will his children, or their children.

A Lee might be the best dollar value if you reload for 10-15 years max and plan on giving your press away as a gift. If you decide to sell a Lee 10-15 years from now, you won't get 50% of what you paid. Sell a Dillon in 10-15 years and the worst you'll do is 85%.

Last edited:

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Spare parts kit? Didn't you get the memo? All Dillon parts are indestructable! :laugh:

As someone with a Dillon 550, I can tell you the spare parts kit is less about parts that will break (although there are a few that fit this purpose in the kit). The spare parts kit is about parts I'm inclined to loose swapping calibers, and don't want to wait for a replacement to be mailed.

A better analogy instead of the car example, for me, would be tools. You can go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of wrenches, or you can go to Snap-On (or name some other brand name tool manufacture). I'd be the first to argue that the wrench from Harbor Freight turns the same bolt as the one from Snap-on. It would also be foolish to argue that the Snap-on isn't high quality (and comes with a warranty to back up my investment).

These arguments are silly, if you don't like Dillon... move on to another thread. The title should be a dead giveaway that you are going to find some folks gushing about their Dillon. The same should be said to the Dillon folks when they run across the "Lee presses Rock!" thread.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    As someone with a Dillon 550, I can tell you the spare parts kit is less about parts that will break (although there are a few that fit this purpose in the kit). The spare parts kit is about parts I'm inclined to loose swapping calibers, and don't want to wait for a replacement to be mailed.

A better analogy instead of the car example, for me, would be tools. You can go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of wrenches, or you can go to Snap-On (or name some other brand name tool manufacture). I'd be the first to argue that the wrench from Harbor Freight turns the same bolt as the one from Snap-on. It would also be foolish to argue that the Snap-on isn't high quality (and comes with a warranty to back up my investment).

These arguments are silly, if you don't like Dillon... move on to another thread. The title should be a dead giveaway that you are going to find some folks gushing about their Dillon. The same should be said to the Dillon folks when they run across the "Lee presses Rock!" thread.

You obviously skipped right over my very first post and decided my sarcastic comment was the best one to discuss... :rolleyes:

Here, let me help you out a little bit so your butt doesn't hurt the rest of the day. :D

Now I've seen a lot of Dillon vs Lee arguments and what it comes down to is how much money someone wants to spend. Both Lee and Dillon will produce loaded ammunition as long as the person working it is doing their part. It's an opinion/money related argument that will never be resolved. I say let people spend their money on what they want and squish it.

See any analogies? How about anything that says Lee is better than Dillon? Anything? No? :dunno: :n00b:

Now if you'd like me to go find threads where people have had problems with their Dillon's I'll be more than happy to, however I'm not here to argue any manufacturers product is better than the other. However parts do and have broken on Dillon reloading presses and I was referring to a certain person on the first page that posted that every part on a Dillon will last "FOR LIFE". Once again, read the thread next time. ;)

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    You obviously skipped right over my very first post and decided my sarcastic comment was the best one to discuss... :rolleyes:

Here, let me help you out a little bit so your butt doesn't hurt the rest of the day. :D

See any analogies? How about anything that says Lee is better than Dillon? Anything? No? :dunno: :n00b:

Now if you'd like me to go find threads where people have had problems with their Dillon's I'll be more than happy to, however I'm not here to argue any manufacturers product is better than the other. However parts do and have broken on Dillon reloading presses and I was referring to a certain person on the first page that posted that every part on a Dillon will last "FOR LIFE". Once again, read the thread next time. ;)

You think my comments could have been directed more broadly than just to you??? :dunno: Sounds like you're the one with the butt hurt, it will get better if you stop thinking everything is directed at you :rolleyes:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You think my comments could have been directed more broadly than just to you??? :dunno: Sounds like you're the one with the butt hurt, it will get better if you stop thinking everything is directed at you :rolleyes:

Isn't that what a quote is for and why you quoted me? To direct your comment towards me? Or am I mistaken on how that works? Does that mean my comment was meant to more than just you? :dunno:

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    You guys keep mentioning the Dillon spare parts kit. Dillon sells it simply to keep the machine going while waiting on the replacement part. They even say that in the description of the xl650 spart parts kit.

I am not going to participate in a peeing match over which is better based on feelings. I will say that I recently experienced a problem with a Lee single stage and had to send it in before they would send parts. With Dillon I only have to call, so it saves me on the shipping.

They both load rounds that go bang, so in that respect they are the same. However that is where the simularities end. The dillon is a better built machine that is less problematic then the Lee, and has the best warrenty in the business. You pay for it up front, but is it worth it in the long run... Only YOU can make that decision!

Top Bottom