• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I've reloaded for 40+ years but had never had a progressive loader. Now that I have a 9mm AR along with several pistols in 9, I felt it was time to go to a progressive. I have always heard good things about Dillon presses and bought a Square Deal B set up in 9mm. Awesome is the only word to describe this press. Comes set up including the dies which are already adjusted. The only tweaking I did was with the powder measure and bullet seating depth. This is the economy loader and lacks some of the upgrades the pricier models have but I can turn out 150 rounds per hour with out breaking a sweat. Now I wonder how I ever got along without it. :):

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I have an SDB set up for 45 acp and I have the same thoughts. I use a Lee loadmaster for 9mm and I think it is actually a little faster, but requires tweaking at times. It's not a race or anything, just what I notice when I stand up for a break while reloading. One of these days I'll convert to a 550 so I can progressive load rifle, for now it's just one at a time on a single stage.

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    I made that same transition years ago and agree - as long as you do a visual on the powder before you put the bullet on the case you are good to go - watch out because you have one Square Deal and suddenly there will be another! Yikes.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've reloaded for 40+ years but had never had a progressive loader. Now that I have a 9mm AR along with several pistols in 9, I felt it was time to go to a progressive. I have always heard good things about Dillon presses and bought a Square Deal B set up in 9mm. Awesome is the only word to describe this press. Comes set up including the dies which are already adjusted. The only tweaking I did was with the powder measure and bullet seating depth. This is the economy loader and lacks some of the upgrades the pricier models have but I can turn out 150 rounds per hour with out breaking a sweat. Now I wonder how I ever got along without it. :):

Wow you really aren't breaking a sweat. I have to ask what were you using before? 150 rounds per hour is less than I can do with my cheap lee turret press. I just wonder if A) you are estimating too low, or B) not utilizing this press to anywhere near it's potential. This isn't meant to slam you at all, just trying to figure out the rational for buying a Dillon in this case.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Yes, he is being very conservative. I have a Lee turret and Dillon square deal and the Dillon is much faster. One pull equals one completed round versus four pulls with the Lee. However, I mostly load on the Lee since I'm not a high volume shooter and enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Yes, he is being very conservative. I have a Lee turret and Dillon square deal and the Dillon is much faster. One pull equals one completed round versus four pulls with the Lee. However, I mostly load on the Lee since I'm not a high volume shooter and enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting.

You guys might be right that I'm underestimating my output. Keep in mind I'm old and enjoy a swig of coke every 10 pulls and then I have to adjust my radio every 25 pulls or so and then there's that darn primer tube that needs reloading. I never attempt to be fast, just have a lot of fun. :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never owned a square deal Dillon, but have spent some time reloading on one. They are a great tool for the man that wants to easily reload one caliber.

Rick has it right. It does not matter if I am reloading shotshells or centerfire cartridges on the progressives, I take a casual speed, accurate quality approach rather than seeing how many I can force out in an hour. I never want to drop my reloads in the chamber wondering if it will hit where I aim. When I worked at the range, I was unjamming pistols multiple times a day. Some were just plain junk pistols, most of the others were good pistols where the owner was shooting sloppy reloads.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a SQDb setup for 45acp. I really like the press. I am debating about converting it to 9mm or simply buying another one all together. I think the SQDb is really best when a person can devote a press to each caliber.

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    You guys might be right that I'm underestimating my output. Keep in mind I'm old and enjoy a swig of coke every 10 pulls and then I have to adjust my radio every 25 pulls or so and then there's that darn primer tube that needs reloading. I never attempt to be fast, just have a lot of fun. :):

I know what you mean. My comment wasn't very clear. I was commenting on the capability of the two machines and not the pace the individual chooses to load at.

I certainly do not push either machine anywhere near their production limits as I
    enjoying reloading and double and triple check myself. But all things equal the Dillon is the quicker of the two.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have a Sq Deal in 9/40/45. I think it works great. Only non rifle cal. I keep mine in 9mm. I use my 550 for 45acp only.
    Great CS from Dillon. Good luck. Also the Sq Deal comes set in your cal of choice, but they only use Dillon 1/2" dies.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have a 550b for about 20 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have 100,000 rounds without an issue. I added a case feeder, what a difference

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    When I was shopping for presses, I looked hard at the SDB.
    I wanted to eventually get into rifle calibers too so I went with a 550 and havn't looked back.
    Plus I liked that the 550B takes standard dies. The SDB has proprietary dies only good with that press.
    I timed myself the other day, I was was chugging out 11-12 rounds per minute and it wasn't that hard.
    I'd like to add a case feeder to my 550B. That would probably get me up to 15 rounds a minute. :rockwoot:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I had a SDB a few years ago. I noticed a goodly percentage of high primers. I called Dillon and the guy said I have to use it while standing in order to gain enough leverage. Told him I ain't gonna do that, I sit on my boney old a$$ while reloading. Sold the SDB and went back to my three hole Lee turret and hand primer.

Dunk19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Princeton
    New to reloading, just got my SDB set up last weekend. Trying to find reloading supplies is holding me up right now. I did a lot of looking between all of the presses out there. I decided on the SDB because of the quality and warranty of the Dillon. Hoping to keep it for a long time. I will add that I am a Tooling Engineer and I work for an Injection Mold builder, I am very pleased with the quality of build and the sturdiness of the press.

Top Bottom