• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I decided after the first of the year to dip my toe into the reloading pond. Naturally, being late to the party, my order was one of a gazillion for Dillon Precision, and I wasn't to receive my order for 8 weeks! However, they DID send my calendar immediately, so at least I had something to distract me while I waited. :D

I had ordered my tumbler, media and separator from another source, so I kept busy cleaning brass. I had plenty of 9mm, .40 cal and .45ACP brass that I'd saved from years of shooting sporadically, enough to keep me busy for awhile.

The rest of my order showed up last week. On Friday, I spent part of the day laying out the various components of the press on my workbench and mounted the press at the end ...

IMG_3249_zps5fc7246e.jpg

Knowing almost nothing about reloading, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to figure out how it all went together. I had watched a few videos on YouTube about using the XL650, so I had a little headstart. However, I had never even watched someone reload. Fortunately, I had a couple of friends with experience just a phone call away should I run into difficulty. I ended up calling one friend just to tell him that I didn't think I'd be needing his help setting it up, it was all a non-event.

IMG_3250_zps8bf4aae1.jpg

The instructions from Dillon were excellent. Plenty of pictures, and the explanations were even in English. I just followed the instructions and the whole thing went fine.

IMG_3255_zpsbbbe0949.jpg

A couple of hiccups to note: Using the pickup tube to pick up primers was no big deal. Transferring them to the primer tube seemed to cause me grief. More than once I managed to spill them all over, which resulted in me being on my hands and knees, looking for tiny little shiny things that go bang. At one point, I somehow got some into the tube upside-down, which made me wonder what would happen if the press tried to shove a primer into a pocket upside down? For two of them, nothing. For one -- BANG! It wasn't really that loud -- kind of like a loud cap gun. At least now I know what a primer sounds like.

I ended up having to disassemble the primer tube assembly (good practice for switching primer plates to LP, for when I switch to loading .45ACP) to remove all of the incorrectly loaded primers, all spelled out in detail in the owner's manual.

Another hiccup I had was the first time I added gunpowder. I don't know what it's set up for from the factory, but is sure wasn't 9mm! The first time a case rotated under the powder die, it was filled -- and then some. I had gunpowder all over the plate. A few quick turns of the adjusting bolt solved that mess and, using my scale and loading data, I dialed in the correct powder measure for my loads. So, if you ever set up a press for the first time, dial the powder bar adjustment in all the way and start backing it out until you get the right powder drop consistently.

That's about it for assembly. I'm not particularly mechanical, and I did it with minimal difficulty.

Once set up, it was time to begin reloading. Because I'm a slow learner, it took me a few rounds to discover where I was screwing up. The first reloading hiccup was that I wasn't consistently pushing the lever all the way forward with each stroke. I didn't realize that it's that upstroke where the primer is inserted at Station 2. Consequently, I ended up with a few cartridges where the primer wasn't seated all the way. Oops. That's why God made inertial bullet pullers, I guess.

When I ordered my press, I intentionally omitted the automatic case feeder. I figured that, at least initially, I wasn't in any hurry, so it would be good for me to stop every once in awhile to reload the case feed tube. WRONG! It's extremely annoying to get a rhythm going -- place a bullet, pull the lever, place a bullet, pull the lever -- only to have to stop every 20 pulls to reload the case feed tube. I WILL be adding an automatic case feeder ASAP.

The slowest part of the process for me is placing the bullet. Those stupid, slippery, little, 115gr bullets are hard for my fat fingers to manipulate quickly. I think I'll try wearing some latex gloves next time to give my fingers some stickiness.

I spent several hours the first day reloading about 450 rounds of 9mm. A lot of that was stopping to fix something, and discovering better ways to streamline the process. The press itself is capable of cranking out something like 600-800 rounds per hour. However, the only way I could do that is if I had a couple of helpers to keep the brass flowing and the primer tube full! Besides, I don't have that much brass. At that rate, I'd be done in a few hours and then wouldn't have a use for my new press.

IMG_3254_zpsacdbf69c.jpg

A lot of people hold the opinion that a newbie to reloading should start with a single-stage press and leave the progressive presses to those with more experience. I'm sure there is merit to that opinion, depending on the goal of the reloader. Having cranked out about a thousand cartridges now, I can see the issues with changing calibers and changing loads with a progressive. If the day comes that I decide to load rifle cartridges, I think I'd rather set up a single-stage and dedicate that station to rifle cartridges only. It can be done on a progressive, but it's more involved than I would care to do right now.

I went through a couple hundred rounds at the range over the weekend and compared the loads with some other reloads and factory-new. Despite the load data I used, I think my loads are hotter than the others, and I may need to adjust the powder drop. However, with a couple of exceptions (bad primer seating), they all went BANG.

So, if you've considered getting into reloading but have been reluctant because you thought that a progressive press might be overwhelming, I'd suggest visiting somebody with a progressive press up and running and see how they work. It's pretty impressive to see what each station does, and how it all comes together with each stroke of the lever.

IMG_3258_zps543353b7.jpg

Hope that review was helpful.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Nice setup! One suggestion would be to run small batches of your first loads. Measure, measure, measure, weigh, weigh, weigh. Go shoot them and make sure they function properly. If you had found that they did not function, you would had the opportunity to see how well that inertia puller worked.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    i got a 650xl for christmas and i love it i was really torn between the lock and load vs 650 and im totally happy with my desision

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Nice setup! One suggestion would be to run small batches of your first loads. Measure, measure, measure, weigh, weigh, weigh. Go shoot them and make sure they function properly. If you had found that they did not function, you would had the opportunity to see how well that inertia puller worked.

Yeah, I understand. In fact, that's pretty much what I did. I loaded about 50 first, set aside my obvious boo-boos, and then went to the range for a quickie. You can imagine my trepidation as I pressed the trigger the first time. :eek:

When I had my primer issue in the primer tube, one apparently blocked the tube and prevented primers from being delivered to the deprimed/sized cases. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that little issue until after about a dozen cartridges were completed. My bullet puller is going to get a workout anyway.

And, to answer the thread about being concerned the first time one of those is used on a live round ... no worries. I'm getting good at it. Sadly.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Looks like a great set up. Congrats on figuring all that out. Thats the exact set up I have been drooling over.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    First off. Welcome to the hobby of reloading. It's not as hard as it looks at first. Never worry about speed. Worry about safety and quality. Speed will come on it's own with experience. The 650 is a great machine. Changing calibers is a non issue once you do it a couple of times. It's like reloading itself. It's daunting at first but once you do it a couple times it's a no brainer. Once you've ran your press for a while you will be able to feel the primers seat and you'll know by that feel if something isn't right. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help. I've been reloading for 30+ years and have a 650 myself as well as a couple others.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    First off. Welcome to the hobby of reloading. It's not as hard as it looks at first. Never worry about speed. Worry about safety and quality. Speed will come on it's own with experience. The 650 is a great machine. Changing calibers is a non issue once you do it a couple of times. It's like reloading itself. It's daunting at first but once you do it a couple times it's a no brainer. Once you've ran your press for a while you will be able to feel the primers seat and you'll know by that feel if something isn't right. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help. I've been reloading for 30+ years and have a 650 myself as well as a couple others.

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the offer.

I know that I still have a TON of stuff to learn about reloading, and am looking forward to it. Once I get a case feeder, then perhaps I'll turn my attention toward reloading something other than 9mm. I have brass in other calibers just sitting there, patiently waiting. :D

Like every other reloader out there, I'm just waiting for the panic to die down and find stuff available again. I need frangible bullets for training, and they're nowhere to be found at reasonable prices.

When the new gun buyers get bored with their new toys and put them in nightstands, dressers and closets to be retrieved once or twice a year, the manufacturers will find their shelves full again and fewer buyers willing to pay inflated prices for their stock.

Right? :dunno:

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    When I set up a load in one of my charge bars. I lay the charge bar on a piece of paper. Scale weigh a load of powder. Pour it into the cavity and adjust the cavity until the powder is flush with the top surface. Then I lift the bar up off the paper. Use the paper to recover the powder and throw another few to confirm my setting. Once the charge bar is installed in the measure I check a few just to be sure my setting is correct.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    My first couple rounds took a lot of time because I was weighing, measuring, checking, checking again. Oh wait, I have unspent primers in the little blue slide from all the checking, better pick those up and put them in the primer feed tube. Ok, where was I, hmmm better check again.

After I settled down and got into a rhythm it went quickly. I still take extra time with the first couple rounds to make sure everything is correct but then get into a rhythm and can finish a 100 round lot quickly. That seems to be a good lot size for me. 100 primers and bullets then check a couple rounds from the next 100-round lot. The press is definitely faster than the operator in my situation.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Nice write up and pictures. I started with a 650 as well.

Most people fill up several primer pick up tubes before they start pumping the handle so it doesn't break your rythm as much.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Instead of sweating with latex or nitrile gloves, get you some Gorilla Grip gloves at your local Wally World for about $4. They grip nice, and breath good.

GOR-480-L.jpg

Smokle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    nice review, im also looking into getting into reloading, and have zero exp with it, ive been considering the dillion 650 but wasnt exactly sure what id need to to buy with it so i havnt proceeded atm i only have my 40. but plan on getting a ar and ak74 to add along side of it

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would never use the term "no-brainer" when it comes to reloading, but it DOES get easier. :)

You have a REP coming your way for writing such an excellent post on the pitfalls of trying to learn on a progressive press. You didn't blow yourself up, but you made pretty much all of the standard mistakes in very short order, in what you concluded was a steep learning curve! Kudos to you for being confident in yourself, cautious enough to stay out of any real trouble, and honest enough to admit that a single-stage would have probably been a better way to get started.

Once the insanity dies down and components are more readily available, you'll be in a great position to stock up and load your own for years to come. However, you close the 4th-to-last paragraph with a comment that captures the main reason I am hesitant to buy a progressive press: "At that rate, I'd be done in a few hours and then wouldn't have a use for my new press."

If you come to enjoy reloading as much as some of us do, you'll buy a single-stage just to stretch out your fun a little longer! Welcome to the addiction! :D

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I would never use the term "no-brainer" when it comes to reloading, but it DOES get easier. :)

You have a REP coming your way for writing such an excellent post on the pitfalls of trying to learn on a progressive press. You didn't blow yourself up, but you made pretty much all of the standard mistakes in very short order, in what you concluded was a steep learning curve! Kudos to you for being confident in yourself, cautious enough to stay out of any real trouble, and honest enough to admit that a single-stage would have probably been a better way to get started.

Once the insanity dies down and components are more readily available, you'll be in a great position to stock up and load your own for years to come. However, you close the 4th-to-last paragraph with a comment that captures the main reason I am hesitant to buy a progressive press: "At that rate, I'd be done in a few hours and then wouldn't have a use for my new press."

If you come to enjoy reloading as much as some of us do, you'll buy a single-stage just to stretch out your fun a little longer! Welcome to the addiction! :D

Thanks, Broom -- I think. :D

You have an interesting way of reading what I posted. You may be right, that I should have started with a single-stage, but I didn't say or mean to imply that. The whole point of my post was to show that a novice CAN start with a progressive press and do OK. Just expect to make some boo-boos along the way and know that you'll get more opportunities to use your inertial bullet puller. The faster you crank 'em out, the more mistakes you'll make before you catch them.

At my current rate, I average shooting about 500 rounds a month in training and practice. I don't see that changing much. Therefore, when I was deciding which press to get, I concluded that volume trumped accuracy. I have no immediate plans to crank out rifle cartridges with the 650, nor do I intend to reload anything but 9mm in the near term. I'm guessing that I will set up a tool head for .40 or .45 someday, but I don't see the 650 being ideal for rifle cartridges. Someone may correct me, and that's fine. I'm still learning, and if I can whip out a batch of 5.56 for practice as easily as 9mm, I'll be a happy camper.

In the end, I'm quite happy that I bought a progressive, and the XL650 in particular. If I had intended to load multiple calibers, I would've bought a 550 -- easier and cheaper to swap out tool heads, as I understand it.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Great job on the review!!:rockwoot:
    I started on a Square Deal B. And havent looked back. And now have 2 650's a rock chucker and a rcbs JR3 that is now dedicated to sizing bullets and is gear driven..:D
    I got my buddy started with a 650 too. With reading and good advice hes up and running.
    And dont be afraid to call Dillon if you have any issues!! They are awesome

I have 1 Question for you. Where the hell is your case feeder?:D

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Great Post! I have a Dillon 550 on order in 40 S&W. I have a Used Lee turrent that I just purchased as well. I am going to sonic clean and then polish after I load the bullets to assist in feeding. I have heard from both side on polishing live rounds. I am removing the primers before I sonic clean and to polish before reloading leaves media in the primer hole. Not that I have to ask but what opinions do others have to waht I'm wanting to do.

Top Bottom