Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The flakes of Unique or another powder are only a problem if:
    1) the accuracy sucks
    or
    2) kernals get under the star on your revolver's cylinder.
    I find that despite the flakes, 5.0gn of Unique is quite accurate in several different cartridges and bullet weights. I have never had a malfunction due to Unique and it has never shown any pressure spikes like several new powders tend to.
    I wish that I could say good things about Bullseye, but it just wasn't accurate in any of my .45s or .38 Wadcutter loads in the late '70s and I have never bought more. I find AA2 to meet all my handgun accuracy needs--except for magnums where 2400 has always been a stand-out in .44 and .45 Win Mag.
    Aesthetics should not be a criteria to select a powder.

I don't really care about aesthetics. I merely wanted to find out why some old ammo I have, that is still plenty snappy, tends to leave little (apparently) unburnt disks of powder all over the tops of my hands and arms when I use it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Wow. Slim is right....this thread is strange indeed. Op was explaining his experience with a certain product and admitted Cwood rectified the problem. Then here comes BB acting like a complete tool. Don't bring your feelings to work BB....they will get hurt. I shot some of your ammo yesterday after a friend said it performed faulty at NFA Day out a full auto uzi. It did great out of my KelTec 2000. Things happen and no one is perfect, but your attitude makes it easy for me to buy ammo elsewhere despite the good results I experienced.

Late to the party...but I had "issues" with rwilcox's LUSA SMG not liking the 115gr 9mm stuff that I was using. Not a big deal to me; I just didn't use that ammo in that SMG any more.

On second thought, I'm pretty sure I was using the 147gr in the SMGs as I've read and been told that most SMGs like the heavier stuff better. No matter, though, THAT gun didn't like what it was that I was feeding it.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Tom,
    If you want some real black flakes try Herco in a light load! Dude, it will leave you a different color! Seriously! Then, if you are sweaty enough, you will get a little burn thing going on!

If that ammo is doing as you say, and I have no doubt it is, it can still be a light for the powder type load. What I mean is that all powders have a place where they work better. You could have a load of xxx powder at 5gr that produces near normal velocities while it also leaves a bunch of it unburnt. Take that same powder, move it up to +5gr (whatever the data lists as a maximum load) and it is quite possible, no, quite practical, that you will end your unburnt powder thing. You will also have a bunch more velocity, and even more than you want. If that is so, and you reload, you can change to a faster power using it's data to attain just the velocity you want and it will clean up nicely in that part of it's pressure range.

Hopefully all that makes sense! ;) If not, I will try better to explain! :D

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Dood. I didn't do business with precision. I bought from a retailer who has corrected the problem.

If it makes me a smaller man not to sell the rest of the ammo back to a manufacturer who also demands as a condition that I never purchase precision again, then I'll gladly sport the title smallest man. :facepalm:

I'll not tolerate you using my name in vain. This is your warning!

:D

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think the OP and BB both can share some blame here. OP should have either identified the manufacturer by correct name or not mentioned it at all. Thinly veiling Precision Cartridge as "recession partridge" is chicken-****, period. Be a man one way or the other. Passive aggressive much?

As for BB, my previous experience with PC was a phone call a couple years ago to inquire about purchasing ammo. The fella I got on the phone was curt (not in a good way) and made me feel like I was wasting his time and my one case order wasn't worth his while. I ended up not ordering and at this point, I'm glad I didn't as I don't like to support people who explode on customers no matter how inept the complaint is.

Top Bottom