• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I didnt take it that way. But I see where he is coming from. Quite a few times I've gotten the "what the?!?!? how can you not like sports? you are weird. That's not normal for a man. " usually just the look, since most people are typically not rude enough to actually say it out loud.

Yes! I ****ing hate sportsball and it's followers, I am one of the few college educated folks where I work so they all assume I follow everything Indiana University does. It's phenomenally annoying , I usually just tell them to get back to work and go hang out by one of the mills so no one can talk to me .

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am guilty of watching the Olympics. I have watched them since I was a kid and was raised by a professional ice skater(mom) and semi-pro boxer who could snow ski(dad) so we watched.

Now my daughter does the same thing. When the Olympics start, she is putting other things on hold for two weeks trying to get her kids into it.

I did not watch the last ones since I don't have cable anymore and I found it too hard to stream. I guess I'm old that way. I always mainly caught the prime time coverage.

Streaming just seemed so disjointed to me. Oh well.

And yes, I do like Curling. Once I learned enough about it, I enjoyed watching it. Probably because I'd like to try it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My daughter, who now lives in SoCal and has a backyard made literally of Astroturf calls those people "grassholes". To each their own, but not taking any care of one's lawn does speak to me about an old-fashioned concept called "pride of ownership", and taken to extremes, lack of which can impact the value of nearby homes.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to those of you living on isolated farms or Unibomber cabins. But that lifestyle ain't for me. I love being around people, and in fact am that pain in the ass guy who will strike up a conversation with you in line at the store.
    I am stealing that. I don’t have many grasshole neighbors now. Thankfully.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I am guilty of watching the Olympics. I have watched them since I was a kid and was raised by a professional ice skater(mom) and semi-pro boxer who could snow ski(dad) so we watched.

Now my daughter does the same thing. When the Olympics start, she is putting other things on hold for two weeks trying to get her kids into it.

I did not watch the last ones since I don't have cable anymore and I found it too hard to stream. I guess I'm old that way. I always mainly caught the prime time coverage.

Streaming just seemed so disjointed to me. Oh well.

And yes, I do like Curling. Once I learned enough about it, I enjoyed watching it. Probably because I'd like to try it.
    The local curling club had a Groupon a couple of years ago for a 30 minute lesson and then a match. Plenty of rules, mostly involving who buys the next round of beers. We had a lot of fun, but let me tell you, sweeping is hard work!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Every day I feel thankful that I can simply sit in a chair and observe nature when I want. Far enough out in the woods that sounds of human activity are very few. I can simply get up and take a leak a few feet away and be unconcerned. It's a great feeling, and it makes it easier to deal patiently with things and people when I'm back in their world.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hmmm. Not sure you worded that how you meant it.
    You do realize that racing and shooting as the OP stated are his hobbies are both in fact sports. Anytime a participant pays to play/participate then someone is going to win a prize. Your statement IMHO implies we shouldn't keep score, everyone who participated gets the same trophy etc.

All work and no play sure doesn't sound like very much fun to me.
    Engaging in sport is good. Whether it is building a car that can do the quarter mile the fastest, putting the smallest group together or putting the best 18 holes of your life together. What pollutes sport is when those that don't engage in it exploit it for profit. It's not the sport itself, but the media exploitation that we find distasteful.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Engaging in sport is good. Whether it is building a car that can do the quarter mile the fastest, putting the smallest group together or putting the best 18 holes of your life together. What pollutes sport is when those that don't engage in it exploit it for profit. It's not the sport itself, but the media exploitation that we find distasteful.
    Oh I agree. I shake my head every time I hear if some stick & ball athlete being paid the most ever for their particular position. A number of things go into their justification for that pay rate. But at the end of the day it's stupid money for adults playing games. Especially considering how short many if those careers are.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I didnt take it that way. But I see where he is coming from. Quite a few times I've gotten the "what the?!?!? how can you not like sports? you are weird. That's not normal for a man. " usually just the look, since most people are typically not rude enough to actually say it out loud.
    Just tough when I read the original post and see comments that people who are into their lawn are "insane" and people that don't understand tool and die making as a profession are "morons" and think this isn't a 2 way street. Maybe it's never said out loud, but just seems to be claiming to be misunderstood while at the same time not understanding that others have different interests.

I get it to some extent, as I'm into some sports (I'll watch SEC football for example, but everything else sports is Greek to me for the most part), but not at all to the extent of many people.

Golf might as well be an alien activity, and so on. I also get lost when folks are talking most anything alcohol related (lots of bourbon discussion on INGO), but to each their own.

That said I love to bass fish, but never been into many other sorts of fishing.

Everyone's into something.

Some folks think everyone is like them.
    Some folks think their interests are unique.
    Neither end of the spectrum is likely correct.

Don't tread on me, I won't tread on you.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Back when I cared, we Bears fans called them the Fudge Packers, or Fudgies for short.
    That's what I used to call them. Fudge packers. But I had to admit that cheese throaters was breaking new ground.

• Haha
    Reactions: oze

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once the artist is dead I don’t think the business entitie’s and families of those artists should keep getting paid in perpetuity. Most of us must continue to work and produce our product to get paid just like a surgeon has to keep doing surgery to get paid, musicians should be paid mainly when they’re on stage .
    Artists do not get paid in perpetuity they do get paid when they perform or you buy their album, depending on their deal with a record label.

The song writers do get their life and 70 years to collect on the copyright. You don’t think your family should get the value of that which you created? If you invent a gun accessory your family should not get the fruit of that labor after you are gone? How is writing a song any different?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Artists do not get paid in perpetuity they do get paid when they perform or you buy their album, depending on their deal with a record label.

The song writers do get their life and 70 years to collect on the copyright. You don’t think your family should get the value of that which you created? If you invent a gun accessory your family should not get the fruit of that labor after you are gone? How is writing a song any different?
    Musicians get royalties every time their music is played or used by anyone else for life + 70 years. 70 years? That's pretty ridiculous. Why do their decedents deserve to get paid for 70 years?

Patents only last 17 years for inventions that can take decades and millions of dollars to develop.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've built walls
    A fortress deep and mighty
    That none may penetrate
    I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pains
    It's laughter and it's loving I disdain
    I am a rock I am an island

Don't talk of love
    Well I've heard the word before
    It's sleeping in my memory
    I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
    If I never loved I never would have cried

I have my books
    And my poetry to protect me
    I am shielded in my armor
    Hiding in my room safe within my womb
    I touch no one and no one touches me

And a rock feels no pain
    And an island never cries

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I've built walls
    A fortress deep and mighty
    That none may penetrate
    I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pains
    It's laughter and it's loving I disdain

Don't talk of love
    Well I've heard the word before
    It's sleeping in my memory
    I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
    If I never loved I never would have cried

I have my books
    And my poetry to protect me
    I am shielded in my armor
    Hiding in my room safe within my womb
    I touch no one and no one touches me

And a rock feels no pain
    And an island never cries
    Feeling sad, Act?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went to IU from 1979-83. Obviously that made me a basketball fan. Go Hoosiers!
    But not football...
    I remember Coach Knight having all sorts of quaint notions. He thought players should be student athletes with the emphasis on student. You would be benched if you did not go to class.

Top Bottom