• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I would like to hear this community's thoughts on this situation. It was something I recently witnessed..

Situation:
    You are in a gun shop. The shop has a range to shoot at, people come and go to shoot.

Person walks in, dressed normal/clean. Carrying a camo backpack over one shoulder and an AR15 in his other arm. This demeanor is calm, he comes in and walks around the shop. You notice he is holding the AR15 in his strong hand. He is holding the rifle by the pistol grip. There is a magazine in the mag well. The rifle is pointed down at the ground.

I won't go into what happened next in the shop. Maybe I'll post that later. I just would like to hear people's reaction/thoughts about this. If you were shop owners what would you do? How would you feel as a customer in a store if someone did this? Do you see anything wrong with what he did? How much concern would you have?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd walk to the back area of Midwest by the little hallway and just wait at ready too see what happened. That's if I couldn't get out of the door. Once everything settled down and the person was deemed no threat, I'd have a little conversation with them, if the shop owner/counter guy didn't first.

What did happen if you don't mind.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A rifle with a magazine in the well is considered loaded. Anybody who has spent more than 30 seconds on a NRA High power range knows that.

Ditto for a handgun. I doubt anyone would be too happy with some idiot walking around with a loaded firearm in their hand.

Beyond that, I don't enjoy speculative questions. What happened?

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As long as he kept it pointing straight down, I guess I would stand there staring at him, shaking my head and muttering dumbass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Applied ballistics requires loose arms in the store to be in a case or a holster. It a person does not have a case, they will loan you one.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Quietly get every employes attention and confront. May be "honest/dumb" mistake. Or worse. In this day and age we cannot sit back and hope for the best. At least the person needed a strong lesson in propper safety. Wouldn't need to be a total jerk but I would want eyes on the guy. Lots of them.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Man walks into place of business, armed with a loaded rifle, in hand and at the ready. How would you respond?'

That's the actual question.

'Clean cut / normal'... like Ted Bundy?

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Use an AR-15 Hip Holster.

maxresdefault.jpg

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've never been to a range - gun store attached or not - that did not have posted range rules. Among them (the rules) invariably is some version of "action open and weapon unloaded - no magazines - behind the line which includes the store". I'm assuming since this store has a range, they have something of the kind? If not, why not?

If we're talking about a breech of range rules, that's to be brought to the attention of the RSO. If I don't know who that is, I tell them. It can be an honest mistake if it's a newbie. Be polite. Be kind. But be firm.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Anybody on this forum who's visited my place of employment while I'm working will attest to the fact that if you bring one in without the action opened, I yell like a mom who just watched you wipe a booger on the new suede couch.
    Also, if you have an uncased firearm you'd like to go to your vehicle and retrieve for trade/consignment/ship/whatever, I do strongly suggest that it doesn't come inside unless it's open... And even then, it's mine and considered loaded (to me) until I personally clear it. If I find ammo in it, I keep the ammo and scold your ass.

9e2fb86c-e0bd-48f3-9882-e42e1660fdec_zps9ce332d2.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Anybody on this forum who's visited my place of employment while I'm working will attest to the fact that if you bring one in without the action opened, I yell like a mom who just watched you wipe a booger on the new suede couch.
    Also, if you have an uncased firearm you'd like to bring in for trade/consignment/ship/whatever, I do strongly suggest that it doesn't come inside unless it's open... And even then, it's mine and considered loaded (to me) until I personally clear it. If I find ammo in it, I keep the ammo and scold your ass.

I like this strategy, and it serves as a stark reminder of what "unloaded" guns really are. Loaded. Always.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Also, if you have an uncased firearm you'd like to go to your vehicle and retrieve for trade/consignment/ship/whatever, I do strongly suggest that it doesn't come inside unless it's open... And even then, it's mine and considered loaded (to me) until I personally clear it. If I find ammo in it, I keep the ammo and scold your ass.

I would so pay for video of this.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco

I've been going in there for years and never seen that. How'd I miss that thing?

I like this strategy, and it serves as a stark reminder of what "unloaded" guns really are. Loaded. Always.
    :+1:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How many gun shops have ranges that allow AR-15? Most are pistol only. So at least in most cases, he would not be there to shoot at the range. That being said, I would be watching someone carrying AR-15 in a gun store, especially in that manner, ie low ready. I might even consider leaving and return some other time.

Top Bottom