• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have Dish now. Have had it for 5 years so far. I know a few others that have Directv, but I have had no experience with them.

I've been thinking of switching to Directv here lately. But not sure if I should.

Which one is your favorite, and why?

Tried them both. Just disconnected from cable/dish TV altogether. Will go to Apple TV, Netflix, etc. I refuse to pay those high fees for what is offered on them.

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Tried them both. Just disconnected from cable/dish TV altogether. Will go to Apple TV, Netflix, etc. I refuse to pay those high fees for what is offered on them.

Same here. I just got so sick of paying for all the channels I never watched. Then I have to sit through commercials even though I have already paid for the service. I really wish they would come out with some sort of ala carte pricing system where you could just pay for the channels you want, but I bet there is no way to make it profitable.

I put an antenna up in my attic so I can still get local channels and just use Netflix for everything else.

If you must have satellite I would go with DirecTV because the customer service always seemed better to me.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Just curious, how many of the DISH customers have more than one dish in their system. I see a lot of homes with 2 and even 3 DISH dishes. I have one Directv dish for all channels. I have been with Directv since 1994. I have had very few issues, BUT I do all my own installation work. A Directv technician will NEVER set foot in my house. I think a lot of Directv issues are installation related. I also think the practice of putting a satellite dish on a roof is becoming way to popular. In most cases it is not necessary.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I went from Direct to Dish. The only thing I don't like is that I can't record something on one channel while watching another channel.

I can. I've got a 612 receiver a d I can record two different shows at the same time. (if recording one show, I can watch something else at the same time or record 2 at a time).

I

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just curious, how many of the DISH customers have more than one dish in their system. I see a lot of homes with 2 and even 3 DISH dishes. I have one Directv dish for all channels. I have been with Directv since 1994. I have had very few issues, BUT I do all my own installation work. A Directv technician will NEVER set foot in my house. I think a lot of Directv issues are installation related. I also think the practice of putting a satellite dish on a roof is becoming way to popular. In most cases it is not necessary.

I've got two dishes. As I understood it, i had to pick up two satellites to get local channels. When we went to satellite 7 years ago, I thought dish had the better equipment...haven't really compared since.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just tried it again and if it's recording it will make me stop recording in order to change the channel. I'm not sure what's going on, but I will call customer service and see if they can give me a class or something.

Are you using the 522 or 512 or something like that? Seems like there was a setting on those units that had something to do with which dvr was default, etc. when we had that one, we had it set up to record on#1 and we'd watch other stuff on #2 IIRC. We got the 612 when we went to hi-def and it can be recording on either 1 or 2 and if you switch channels, it switches to the other input automatically. Now, if both inputs are recording, it'll ask you if you want stop recording before it changes channels. (you can still watch a recording if both inputs are recording).

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The single dish is a definite advantage to Directv as far as I am concerned. Direct has better orbital slots, and a KA band system that allows one to receive all channels with one dish. I have an issue with dishes on roofs. I also have an issue with dish farms be they in yards, or on roofs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was at a guys house that just had direct put in, one dish and he just had to call to get the local channels, he was picking up local for another area.

Too bad the powers that be wont let us peons decide which and how many different local channel areas we wish to buy.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Beware of Directv and their policy of charging your debit card/credit card without your permission. I recently left Directv and this is what happened. Initially my problem wasnt with Directv it was with AT&T and their poor high speed internet. Comcast offered up a better combined option at a better price than Directv and AT&T combined. I called Directv to cancel the service after being a customer for 8 yrs. Of course only then did they offer much better discounts to try to retain my business but they didnt bother when I asked before to retain my business... that left me mildly disappointed.

My biggest problem is what followed... They told me what my final balance would be based upon my prorated usage and I didnt have a problem with that amount. They sent me a final bill with that prorated amount and also sent boxes to send back their equipment. If they dont receive their equipment, there would be additional charges. I got their final bill and then eventually their shipping boxes and returned everything they requested. My intention was to wait about a week and then call to confirm that they received all the equipment back and then pay the final bill so there wouldnt be any surprise charges. I happened to check my bank account before I made that final call to directv and found a charge had been made to my account for the final charges. I called them and found out that their policy is to take the money from your account without your permission 15 days from their final billing. Keep in mind that I had had the final billing in my hand for less than 15 days and was just a few days removed from sending in their equipment. If they hadnt received their equipment timely it is hard telling how many hundreds of dollars they would have drawn out of my account without permission. I guess they feel they can take the money and sort out any discrepancies later. It is a terrible policy and I will never do business with directv again.

Top Bottom