• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone in the Indy area a DISH subscriber?

DirecTV has been pissing me off and I'm considering a change.

My primary concern, for those in the Indy area, is to confirm DISH offers (extra fee OK) Comcast SportsNet out of Chicago.

Gotta make sure I get the Bears post-game show and Blackhawks games next season. ;)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Don't know if Dish has Comcast Sports, but you could always call and ask. I've been a very happy Dish customer for well on to about 15 years. I love their DVR setup and channels, (although I am saddened that they're thinking of dropping AMC). No complaints and the price has always been good. No significant rises in years, unlike cable and some others.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have a friend who changed from Direct to Dish a few years ago. He couldn't wait for his contract to be up so he could change back.

I have had several friends do the same. If Directv is pissing you off, then Dish will make you want to murder someone.

There is a reason Directv gains about 6 subs to dish's every 1 sub, Directv is much better. IMHO of course. :):

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What has DirecTV done to make you consider a change?

Love my DirecTV. So much better than crappy Comcast cable.

+1 on Comcast sucking!

RE: the hate for DTV...because every time I get a new TV, their receiver blows (up) and literally needs to be replaced. This is the second time it's happened to us in three years.

That isn't so bad, it's inconvenient to be sure, but it's the "Well, let's transfer you to tech support to see if they can help..." MY RECEIVER IS ****ING DEAD, NO AMOUNT OF PHONE SUPPORT WILL "HELP"!!! It will only make me post in all caps on gun forums...HA! :D

Anyway, I complained loudly enough and will be getting a new receiver this week without talking to tech support. Note, I hung up on their tech support dude before I submitted my rant in writing. They are also giving me $5 off for the next three months for pain an suffering.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    What do you mean by "blows (up)"? I ask because I've had DirecTV for several years now and have never had a box fail, much less blow up. While I agree that their tech support blows, I usually get good help once I get past the first level and talk to someone that knows how to do more than replace the batteries in the remote. Is it possible that you have a problem with the outlet feeding you box?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What do you mean by "blows (up)"? I ask because I've had DirecTV for several years now and have never had a box fail, much less blow up. While I agree that their tech support blows, I usually get good help once I get past the first level and talk to someone that knows how to do more than replace the batteries in the remote. Is it possible that you have a problem with the outlet feeding you box?

To clarify, I mean that I've bought two TVs in the past three years and each time I've disconnected the DTV receiver, plugged it back into the new TV, then turned on the power, the receiver has ceased to function. The most recent incident, just days ago, the receiver literally began to make a popping sound and ceased to transmit a signal to the TV.

While I'm not an electrician, the same receiver and previous TV ran for over a year on the same coax cable, plugged into the same electrical outlet and never had an issue. The first time this happened to us, maybe in 2010, it was at a different location in the house.

I understand gear can fail and am fine with stuff breaking down, but became livid that, despite carrying the $6/mo service plan for the past year or so, I couldn't book an appointment for a person to come out to see the equipment without going through the whole rigamarole of the "Is it plugged in? Are you getting an error code? Turn it off, reset it, then turn it on, then lift your left foot off the ground and bend your right knee at an 87 degree angle..." conversation.

I know they don't want to make a run for every call they get, it's bad business, but I also know when something is not going to work since I'm on the scene interacting with the equipment and have been a customer for 10+ years and am familiar with their gear.

I'm also old fashioned and believe the customer calls the shots, not the service provider. I ultimately gave them the option to do it my way or to prepare to lose me as a customer. They chose to blink and I'm getting what I want, so I'll keep up my end of the deal and keep their service.

That said, who knows, the outlet may be bad and the next box will fry. If so, they'll still need to send a tech out, which was ultimately what I wanted in the first place. The guy on the phone wouldn't be able to test for that, I assume?

It's all good, they just caught me at the wrong time. :D

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Had Direct for the past 8yrs.. and now just got upgraded with HD... Direct Tv took care of us for having service for so long that they hooked us up with free HD receivers a value of $400 and added internet through Att.l and gave us 6 months free HBO and Stars.. I will always stay with Direct excellent customer service..

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Miguel, on the tv going bad does the coax run into a box that is plugged into an electrical outlet? I have seen the coax lines going to that hold an electrical charge.... Had to ground them against an old iron pipe to get it to go away.

I have also seen simaler issues with installs not grounded right, if there is paint under the grounding clamp outside that can cause issues. I have grabbed metal splitters on installs not grounded right and there was enough voltage that I could feel it.

Just trying to help, could have been grounding through old tv and new one did not like it..... I have seen crazier things.

With the customer service issue all providers are like that.... I know of one customer that was on the phone for like two hours and he just wanted a new remote that he though was bad.... What is sad is 90% of the time the stuff they have you do is pointless... Does not help when the call center is out of country either.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had DirecTV many years ago and it sucked donkey balls. They would never do an honest rate quote, always playing hide-and-seek with the true cost, get you in on a teaser rate then hit you with a massive hike...

Switched to DISH about 10 years ago, have never been happier with TV service (not that I watch much these days). Can't speak to your sports needs, but DISH is a far better company with which to do business, IMO.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Beware of Directv and their policy of charging your debit card/credit card without your permission. I recently left Directv and this is what happened. Initially my problem wasnt with Directv it was with AT&T and their poor high speed internet. Comcast offered up a better combined option at a better price than Directv and AT&T combined. I called Directv to cancel the service after being a customer for 8 yrs. Of course only then did they offer much better discounts to try to retain my business but they didnt bother when I asked before to retain my business... that left me mildly disappointed.

My biggest problem is what followed... They told me what my final balance would be based upon my prorated usage and I didnt have a problem with that amount. They sent me a final bill with that prorated amount and also sent boxes to send back their equipment. If they dont receive their equipment, there would be additional charges. I got their final bill and then eventually their shipping boxes and returned everything they requested. My intention was to wait about a week and then call to confirm that they received all the equipment back and then pay the final bill so there wouldnt be any surprise charges. I happened to check my bank account before I made that final call to directv and found a charge had been made to my account for the final charges. I called them and found out that their policy is to take the money from your account without your permission 15 days from their final billing. Keep in mind that I had had the final billing in my hand for less than 15 days and was just a few days removed from sending in their equipment. If they hadnt received their equipment timely it is hard telling how many hundreds of dollars they would have drawn out of my account without permission. I guess they feel they can take the money and sort out any discrepancies later. It is a terrible policy and I will never do business with directv again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom