Indian-noplace

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Quote:
    "Sometimes there are employees who are disgruntled and you may never know when they may snap," Disney guest Alicia Ratliff told Eyewitness News."

Exactly. And they think these DISGRUNTLED employees are going to obey the no guns allowed sign?
    It's the parking lot law thing...they won't be able to carry while working. Well, they could but Disney could fire them on the spot, company policy. Kind of where we are in that "battle."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's the Happiest Place on Earth . . . until some very bad people decide it's an environment ripe with unarmed, defenseless victims.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Sooner or later a violent incident involving a madman armed with a machete, or some other weapon, will cause unrealistic people such as those who operate the Disney fantasy world to deeply regret their decision to keep sensible citizens from bearing arms on their property.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    Central Florida's largest employer says it's exempt because the park has fireworks on its property.

I don't get this... can fireworks now penetrate a locked car, disable a safety, and pull the trigger? Is there a law about fireworks and firearms now?

Maybe there is... I went to Phantom fireworks this week,(at the corner of highway 40 just off of 465 on the west side) and they had a big no firearms poster on their front door. So I went across the street to Patriotic fireworks, who had no sign, and was very helpful despite the handgun on my hip.

I'd say fireworks is a pretty weak argument to ban firearms.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I voted in favor of following state law and allowing employee carry. Disney's anti gun stance does not surprise me for Disney upper management has long consisted of very liberal free (sic) thinkers. Changes in Disney Philosophy and Policy might even make Walt turn over in his grave.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's the Happiest Place on Earth . . . until some very bad people decide it's an environment ripe with unarmed, defenseless victims.

Anyone ever read Tom Clancy's "Rainbow 6"?

I don't get this... can fireworks now penetrate a locked car, disable a safety, and pull the trigger? Is there a law about fireworks and firearms now?

Maybe there is... I went to Phantom fireworks this week,(at the corner of highway 40 just off of 465 on the west side) and they had a big no firearms poster on their front door. So I went across the street to Patriotic fireworks, who had no sign, and was very helpful despite the handgun on my hip.

The fireworks can't do what you suggested, of course, but I think the law was probably written so that employers who deal in real explosives would have less risk around those items. It should be our right to carry anywhere we consider a crime may happen, obviously, but that does not mean that we should not exercise our own judgement and recognize the risks of carrying around, say, nitroglycerine, which is exceptionally unstable.
    Personally, I don't know enough about it to say how big a risk this is, and I don't agree with a law mandating compliance. I also don't think Disney qualifies as a business whose primary income is derived through dealing in explosives.

Bottom line, their idea of zero tolerance for workplace violence is a good thing. Going about it by restricting guns is wrong-headed. If their insurance policies are any gauge, they favor gay marriage, too. Do they promote that by forbidding Republicans from coming to their parks? :cool:

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Curious: Did you go to Phantom and tell them that they lost your business by their sign? Did you tell Patriotic that they got your business by NOT having that same sign? Voting with your wallet is good, but it's only half the solution.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has a card that members can give out and a database of places that forbid carry by signage.

This is the card they have. I'm currently in the process of designing one that is similar for Indiana.

no_guns_cards.gif

Blessings,
    B

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This whole thing is over Florida's newly passed parking lot firearm storage law. The law permits employees to lock their firearms in their cars while at work so long as the employer is not exempted by the statute. Several employer types were exempted (like explosive manufacturers, defense contracters, etc.) so that the bill could be passed.

If an employer forbids carrying a firearm on their property, they can fire your for violation of their policy (Florida is an "at will"state so they could fire you for any reason). This is really about allowing people to be free from searches of their vehicles while on employer property. This allows Floridians to protect themselves while driving home or out and about after or before work.

In addition, Disney has a no firearm policy for its employees and visitors, but there is not force of law for a visitor to carry into a park. When I lived in Florida I always carried while at Disney parks. If you were every made, all they could do is ask you to leave for face trespassing charges. The same is true for any business open to the public to enter regardless of signage declaring "No Firearms."

Indiana could benefit from a similar law permitting firearms to be stored in vehicles while on company property.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This whole thing is over Florida's newly passed parking lot firearm storage law. The law permits employees to lock their firearms in their cars while at work so long as the employer is not exempted by the statute. Several employer types were exempted (like explosive manufacturers, defense contracters, etc.) so that the bill could be passed.

If an employer forbids carrying a firearm on their property, they can fire your for violation of their policy (Florida is an "at will"state so they could fire you for any reason). This is really about allowing people to be free from searches of their vehicles while on employer property. This allows Floridians to protect themselves while driving home or out and about after or before work.

In addition, Disney has a no firearm policy for its employees and visitors, but there is not force of law for a visitor to carry into a park. When I lived in Florida I always carried while at Disney parks. If you were every made, all they could do is ask you to leave for face trespassing charges. The same is true for any business open to the public to enter regardless of signage declaring "No Firearms."

Indiana could benefit from a similar law permitting firearms to be stored in vehicles while on company property.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Curious: Did you go to Phantom and tell them that they lost your business by their sign? Did you tell Patriotic that they got your business by NOT having that same sign? Voting with your wallet is good, but it's only half the solution.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry has a card that members can give out and a database of places that forbid carry by signage.

This is the card they have. I'm currently in the process of designing one that is similar for Indiana.

no_guns_cards.gif

Blessings,
    B
    Here is a link to one that I have designed. I need to make a few changes, but it is based off of the OCC card.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/78215-post89.html

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro

I didn't realize there was an exemption in the law. I only posted my story about the fireworks because of how ridiculous it seems to be concerned of firearms around fireworks. Explosive manufacturers, I could understand... maybe. But no pistol I have ever seen is more likely to go off on its own, in the prescience of fireworks any more than it would be more dangerous in the presence of ice cream.:horse:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Agreed. And one was introduced last year, by former Sen. Jeff Drozda. It was scheduled for a committee hearing but did not get one. Mr. Drozda has moved and Sen. Jim Buck now has his seat, so perhaps the legislation will be re-introduced in the next session. I hope so.

For those who say that a property owner has the right to define what is and is not permitted on his property, you're correct, they do. Why is their parking lot more entitled to property rights than my car, parked therein? How can their property rights extend to my trip to and from that property? If I am not prohibited to have my firearm in my locked vehicle, everyone's rights are respected.

This just makes good sense.

Blessings,
    B

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    If someone is killed or injured on Disney property by a terrorist or madman (or woman) I hope they or their survivors win a huge settlement for not allowing a person the right to protect himself then failing to protect him while he is a customer or employee on Disney property.

Top Bottom