• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I can't ever remember buying a firearm that they didn't go in the back and bring out a NIB not that I wouldn't take one from the case.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lets just say that ALOT of folks on here LOVE THE SHOP!! I dont know if i wanna slam this shop by calling them out. They have been good to most folks on here and we are all in this together. The gun community need to stick together. It was a CZ75 SA. BOTH GUNS WERE THE EXACT SAME!!
    But they have lost my business.

How can the gun community stick together when you won't tell us who this shop is?
    By not telling us, you're covering for them.
    THEY did this, let them "own it".

Maybe they'll explain to us here on INGO why they did it?

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I dont see any issue here. I would probably just take the $30 discount and buy the display model. It makes sense to me to sell the display model so that it doesnt turn into a five year old gun thats been booger hooked a million times. I understand you wanting a new un coon fingered one, but I think you should pay a bump to select one from thier stock. You can choose to do buisness with whomever you feel. But I think its petty to say youre done with a shop for this. Maybe some culpabilty is in your hands. Did you ask maybe they could meet in a middle ground due to you not being explained that before your decision to buy? Did you handle and inspect the model on display? If so why was it not good enough for you to purchase? Im guessing you didnt see any defects on the display model or maybe would have asked for a larger discount.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So....what amount were you going to pay for layaway? What period would the dealer be expected to hold the gun for you? What was the make and model of the gun that the dealer had close to Bud's price?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Odd, my guy at Midwest always looks for one in the back for me when I buy one. Price has always been the same.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I dont see any issue here. I would probably just take the $30 discount and buy the display model. It makes sense to me to sell the display model so that it doesnt turn into a five year old gun thats been booger hooked a million times. I understand you wanting a new un coon fingered one, but I think you should pay a bump to select one from thier stock. You can choose to do buisness with whomever you feel. But I think its petty to say youre done with a shop for this. Maybe some culpabilty is in your hands. Did you ask maybe they could meet in a middle ground due to you not being explained that before your decision to buy? Did you handle and inspect the model on display? If so why was it not good enough for you to purchase? Im guessing you didnt see any defects on the display model or maybe would have asked for a larger discount.
    If there was a discount for it being a display model because it had dings or scratches or something on it then I can agree with you. But if its the regular price and someone just wanted to charge $30 more for one in the back then it doesnt make sense to me at all. Advertised price is advertised price. If he would have wanted 2 of the same gun would they have still charged $30 more for the second one? If he would have bought it and after he left, would the new one in the case shown a $30 increase? I still think something smells fishy here or we arent getting all the facts.
    Another thing to consider is some models have changes made by manufacturers, like updated triggers ect. Or maybe the one in the back has night sights and the case didnt orsomething.
    Once again, all the facts are important. .
    Some have suggested maybe the newer guns cost more from their distributor. Most shops wont raise prices on common models unless it's a huge increase in cost to them. $30 on a new gun could be a significant hit to profit to a shop. Theres little money in a lot of new guns. Some there is.
    A shop I used to be familiar with would usualy have backups in the safe and they would pull a new gun from the safe first and not the case. Obviously that isnt the case here.
    Others I've seen pull right from the case because they dont keep more than one in stock at a time. The market usualy dictates this.

Theres a lot of details we truly need to know to make an informed decision on this. But if the OP feels he was done unfairly then that's going to be his perception no matter what. If he had a good relationship with the shop or felt on a comfortable level with them then I would still suggest asking them why the increase in price. Be polite but to the point. If the answer is not what you like then shop somewhere else.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If there was a discount for it being a display model because it had dings or scratches or something on it then I can agree with you. But if its the regular price and someone just wanted to charge $30 more for one in the back then it doesnt make sense to me at all. Advertised price is advertised price. If he would have wanted 2 of the same gun would they have still charged $30 more for the second one? If he would have bought it and after he left, would the new one in the case shown a $30 increase? I still think something smells fishy here or we arent getting all the facts.
    Another thing to consider is some models have changes made by manufacturers, like updated triggers ect. Or maybe the one in the back has night sights and the case didnt orsomething.
    Once again, all the facts are important. .
    Some have suggested maybe the newer guns cost more from their distributor. Most shops wont raise prices on common models unless it's a huge increase in cost to them. $30 on a new gun could be a significant hit to profit to a shop. Theres little money in a lot of new guns. Some there is.
    A shop I used to be familiar with would usualy have backups in the safe and they would pull a new gun from the safe first and not the case. Obviously that isnt the case here.
    Others I've seen pull right from the case because they dont keep more than one in stock at a time. The market usualy dictates this.

Theres a lot of details we truly need to know to make an informed decision on this. But if the OP feels he was done unfairly then that's going to be his perception no matter what. If he had a good relationship with the shop or felt on a comfortable level with them then I would still suggest asking them why the increase in price. Be polite but to the point. If the answer is not what you like then shop somewhere else.

Well said.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    There was a $60 difference in display and backroom price they made it a $30 difference in price. IT WAS THE SAME GUN!!
    They stated that the display had been out on display since March( I believe). I had never experienced this before, seemed odd. I decided to not purchase.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It might seem odd, but dealers buy at different times and in different quantities and the price might not be averaged (FIFO, LIFO, etc). I know that I bought an H&K P30 with LEM for close to $900 wholesale a couple of years ago. They are now about $550 in quantity 1 purchases. That's a large difference, but the same thing happens with other models of firearms. LCP's...you can get one now for $169 from Palmetto. My wholesaler charges more than that for quantity 1.

It sometimes makes no sense when not given context.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There was a $60 difference in display and backroom price they made it a $30 difference in price. IT WAS THE SAME GUN!!
    They stated that the display had been out on display since March( I believe). I had never experienced this before, seemed odd. I decided to not purchase.

Damn, that's even worse ($60).

I agree with TT above. If the one on display is less, then mark it as a display item with special pricing, otherwise, I'd expect the price to be the same on one from "stock".

I'd like to know the name of the shop, but doesn't sound like we'll get that.
    I've never experienced this at an LGS (though I have experienced other stupidity).

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sometimes there's a small difference in options on the same model # that will dictate a price difference.
    I just picked up a new Beretta a few days ago and there's about a dozen different prices on the same gun due to options that aren't really noticable. Prices varied from $535 - $625.
    I wasn't there to look at it but the pricing on the gun when it's put out may vary from a few months apart.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If there was a $60 difference in the wholesale price of the guns why wouldn't they charge more or the one in the back? Which would not surprise me given how volume discounting and promotional pricing works. Sounds like the shop in question was doing customers a service by not raising the price on both guns. A lot of shops put price tags on their guns that show model and serial number, so the price is for that specific gun. And what is the fascination with buying the gun out of the back room? Once someone handles the gun it has officially been displayed. Not like new guns have not been handled.

Top Bottom