• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    First off, I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest person on this forum. I'm 16. I checked the rulebook and I'm pretty sure that isn't a problem on here. Now unfortunately, I was at the last Indy 1500, and I stopped by Brad's booth. Knives have recently been of huge interest to me. Obviously with my age, there is a lot for me to learn. Over the past year and a half or so, I've soaked up as much knowledge as I could. Now on to what I really want to say. At the 1500, I stopped at Brad's booth. I asked to look at a Zero Tolerance 0560. Now I know, with my age that this abnormal and that it might bring up a question or two. I just felt like I was being treated like a criminal. I was stared at like they thought I had the intention of running off and stabbing someone. I just felt uncomfortable. That discourages me from buying a knife from them when I do become of age. That's all I feel necessary to say.

possum_128

Master
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Well first off, you are not the youngest, I believe that honor goes to our little Mosin friend in Texas. As for Brad or someone staring at you, if he did not say anything to you about you looking like a criminal then where do you get this idea? Maybe its just you who feel like you are being treated like a criminal. Don't be so thin skinned my young friend.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    From a vendors standpoint

After somone walked off with my a 200 dollar set of rings at the last show I stare at everyone who is holding somthing I took out of the case. I dont care if they are 16 or 116:twocents:

I'm sure brad was not staring to make you feel uncomfortable or to be a jerk, but with the amount of theifts off of dealer's tables latley we have to watch our pruduct.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What's your birthday OP? I'm sixteen as well. I take the stares with a pinch of salt when I ask questions. You have to remember, most kids our age get their weapon knowledge off CoD. Many adults are cautious when around the teens with actual firearm knowledge, at first. I've made great friends (or at least had great conversations) by staying on track and not saying anything stupid when asking an adult gun questions at a show/shop/gun forum.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I probably looked younger than I actually was at 19-20 when I went to my first 1500 (was it called that back then?). Dang 20 years ago.

I remember getting attitude from some geezers - others were more than happy to take my money with a smile.

I even got a good deal on a .30-06 back then. Remington 700. Still wish I never sold that baby.

Nostalgia is a *****.

Don't worry, dissapointed OP, you have a lifetime to to get used to the gun/knife show culture. If you're like me, in twenty years you'll know that some vendors have seen enough to make them go insane. Some vendors bring it on themselves. Some attendees are indeed insane. So relish the circus.

Now I am a geezer.

Skywired

Master
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I probably looked younger than I actually was at 19-20 when I went to my first 1500 (was it called that back then?). Dang 20 years ago.

I remember getting attitude from some geezers - others were more than happy to take my money with a smile.

I even got a good deal on a .30-06 back then. Remington 700. Still wish I never sold that baby.

Nostalgia is a *****.

Don't worry, dissapointed OP, you have a lifetime to to get used to the gun/knife show culture. If you're like me, in twenty years you'll know that some vendors have seen enough to make them go insane. Some vendors bring it on themselves. Some attendees are indeed insane. So relish the circus.

Now I am a geezer.

Shoot..... I'm 61 years old....and I still get "The Stare" It is a circus indeed. :welcome:

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    First off, I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest person on this forum. I'm 16. I checked the rulebook and I'm pretty sure that isn't a problem on here. Now unfortunately, I was at the last Indy 1500, and I stopped by Brad's booth. Knives have recently been of huge interest to me. Obviously with my age, there is a lot for me to learn. Over the past year and a half or so, I've soaked up as much knowledge as I could. Now on to what I really want to say. At the 1500, I stopped at Brad's booth. I asked to look at a Zero Tolerance 0560. Now I know, with my age that this abnormal and that it might bring up a question or two. I just felt like I was being treated like a criminal. I was stared at like they thought I had the intention of running off and stabbing someone. I just felt uncomfortable. That discourages me from buying a knife from them when I do become of age. That's all I feel necessary to say.

First of all, I'm sorry that you feel that you were not treated fairly and I personally apologize for this. This is never our intent with anyone. I would like to know if you were dealing with me directly or one of the other four people behind our tables that volunteered to help us for the show that weekend. There are several reasons that may have led up to you feeling this way.

Due to your age, there are liability and safety issues involved with people that handle our knives, and we are a little hesitant in allowing minors to handle our knives unless a parent is present. About every other show someone will cut themselves (all adults so far) on one of our knives. Unlike guns that are zipped tied and unloaded, there is no way to remove the possibility of an accident with a knife. This gets back to the liability and safety issues that I mentioned. Even with adults we watch all of our customers when they are handling our knives due to safety issues/reasons.

Also, due to the theft rate at the last few shows we have to keep an eye on everything especially when a knife is in some one's hand. What you considered being “stared” at, we consider watching our customers and our product.

One other thing that I'm curious about. The show was almost 2 weeks ago why are you now voicing your concerns/disappointment?

Again, I apologize that you feel this way and if you choose to come by our tables at a future show, please identify yourself and I'll personally let you fondle any and all of the knives that you want.
    Brad

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Nov 17, 2008
    And that's how you handle a customer complaint.

1. apologize
    2. explain that it might have been a misunderstanding and what might have caused it
    3. try to determine if something can be / needs to be addressed in-house
    4. apologize again
    5. offer to make up for it

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Brad always gives me funny looks at the gunshows. Of course he is funny lookin, and I'm funny lookin......aaaannnnywho, despite the "look" someone gave you, you were allowed to shop and handle the merchandise and not in any tangible way discriminated against, right?

The lesson I feel you should have learned here is to not worry about how someone looks at you at a gun show. This is mostly because the vendors at shows are funny-lookin themselves, nevermind the attendees....:n00b:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    That's just how Brad is.. he's a bit salty around the edges, first time I met him he didn't seem very sociable with me either. I engaged him with questions and told him I was an INGO member and my background. Anyways he opened up more, I don't think it's anything personal.. he's just a busy man and busy men don't talk much. We're too busy counting our money!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    WOW our first complaint to my knowledge.
    Let me try to explain our thoughts on kids and our product.
    We deal with kids all the time at these shows coming up and handling our knives without asking. Most of which are not accompanied by an adult.
    ( another issue) Some of our knives are out in open where anyone can come up and pick them up. Most of them are open already too. Knives are considered a weapon and a tool. They will cut you and hurt you.
    We have never allowed kids to fondle our knives without a parent being with them. We tell them all the time to please not handle the knives. I do consider 16 to still be a kid. We also are very leery of our more expensive knives being in certain hands. We have to protect our customers as well as protecting our product. Accidents happen no matter who you are.
    Ask Brad, he has cut himself many times on our knives. Just a few months ago he dropped a knife while packing up after a show closed and the blade went through his boot and stuck on the top of his foot. OUCH. We do not want this to happen to any of our customers although plenty of men have cut themselves and I just put a band aid on them and send them on their way usually feeling embarrassed they cut themselves. So therefore we do protect the kids more than an adult. Safety and the liability comes first with us. We do want our customers to handle our knives but we do prefer kids to be accompanied by an adult. Please consider our side of it and understand any "staring" is only meant to be our way of watching our customers and our product from a safety and liability viewpoint. Nothing personal. Safety is our most concern and I hope you would appreciate that.:twocents:

I hope you will have a change of heart and stop by our tables. This time please introduce yourself because most times we DO give INGO members DISCOUNTS.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Whelp.. Exactly what I expect from Brad and Sheila, a response, an apology, and an explanation.

Probably much ado about nothing, I get funny looks all the time.

Anyway, :+1: to Brad and Sheila for being attentive and responsive to a concern!

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    First of all, I'm sorry that you feel that you were not treated fairly and I personally apologize for this. This is never our intent with anyone. I would like to know if you were dealing with me directly or one of the other four people behind our tables that volunteered to help us for the show that weekend. There are several reasons that may have led up to you feeling this way.

Due to your age, there are liability and safety issues involved with people that handle our knives, and we are a little hesitant in allowing minors to handle our knives unless a parent is present. About every other show someone will cut themselves (all adults so far) on one of our knives. Unlike guns that are zipped tied and unloaded, there is no way to remove the possibility of an accident with a knife. This gets back to the liability and safety issues that I mentioned. Even with adults we watch all of our customers when they are handling our knives due to safety issues/reasons.

Also, due to the theft rate at the last few shows we have to keep an eye on everything especially when a knife is in some one's hand. What you considered being “stared” at, we consider watching our customers and our product.

One other thing that I'm curious about. The show was almost 2 weeks ago why are you now voicing your concerns/disappointment?

Again, I apologize that you feel this way and if you choose to come by our tables at a future show, please identify yourself and I'll personally let you fondle any and all of the knives that you want.
    Brad

1. apologize
    2. explain that it might have been a misunderstanding and what might have caused it
    4. apologize again

Taking notes!

Lammchop93

Master
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I'm 19 and I've been into guns and knives since I was 17. I still get "the looks" like I'm going to do something bad. But I just use good manners when I talk to someone, and I know what I'm talking about (usually) to show that I am educated on firearms and safety and then all is good.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, you guys suck. You always make me spend money on stabby bits! ;) (ok, not always, but sometimes!)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

1. apologize
    4. apologize again

YES, I agree 100 % ..... :yesway:

Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Hexa,
    Don't worry. Most of us in here look like criminals. That just means you're on your way to growing up into good INGO material. ;-) Without speaking for Brad and Sheila, I know that Sheila had an experience of someone making very creepy, borderline threatening comments towards Sheila while holding a knife at a different Indiana show (which I have never gone to since and never will for the show owner's treatment of the situation). Brad and Sheila do have to protect themselves as well. It's not you. It's the world we live in. You'll grow thicker skin about it as you age.

Tim

Top Bottom