• SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Kut disagrees.

Not a statement, a character trait.

And, I would say, a good one that we need here to avoid being an echo chamber. Though I disagree with him on this one, he keeps us on our toes, and we need to be on our toes in this political environment. Our community tends to view this story as, "A good news day! One less scumbag, not worth the oxygen, walking the earth." Which, to his point, the average citizen who is neither pro- nor anti- would view as threatening and pro-vigilante. We don't need the "middle" adopting the anti- worldview.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It's a complicated world.

Is this why so many pharmacies in Indy have off-duty police officers working in them with their cars sitting near the entrance?

It's going to get uglier when the robbers get desperate enough to make a try for it when there are cops on the premises, if it hasn't already happened.

I would feel sorry for the feel sorry for the average off duty officer that I see in NWI "putting in their time", if a thug wanted to take them out. It would be ugly, on average they are totally unaware of their surroundings. They're either sucked into their cell phones or a conversation, no obvious SA at all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I didn't read any pro-vigilantism, go out and hunt down some bad guys, message in what the DA, nor police chief, had to say. I re-read the article trying as best I could to be a "neutral" reader and my impression was the same as my first reading, that the quote in question came from a news conference where the DA was asked a question something like, "Will the pharmacist face any criminal charges for the shooting incident?" and his answer was basically (my words): Charges? Hell no! Quite the opposite, he deserves a medal.

From a PR standpoint, there are anti-self-defense and anti-2A people who would view any answer other than "We do not have enough evidence to support any charges." as being pro-vigilante. I refuse to allow them to alter the meaning of words, to allow a slippery slope where a 100% justified, nothing else he could do, self-defense comes anywhere near being a vigilante-spectrum disorder. This was not a "grabbed his gun and pursued or went out looking for bad guys" case. We cannot allow the anti's to win the war of what words mean.

Finally, this criminal was not just the average druggie looking for a score, he went into a pharmacy armed with a shotgun AND ignored multiple commands from the armed pharmacist and advanced, jumping the counter. The guy was deranged. Somewhere in his criminal career, had it continued, someone was going to die, most likely an innocent or two. So, yes, IMO, there is no doubt that this was a service to the public at large and the DA's wording was accurate and appropriate.

(sorry for the delay in responding... I haven't figured out yet how to keep track of responses)
    I couldn't say it any better!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well wait a min what if they thought they were just "working" to get "free" stuff?

Mind. Blown.

I have honestly never thought to describe it as "working to get free stuff." Brilliant.

"Hey, tell you what. I've got a deal for you, but we've got to keep it hush hush. If the man finds out, I could be in trouble, and I ain't going down alone. Here's the deal: you mow my lawn, then I give you $20 free, no strings attached. You can then use that to get free stuff from anywhere you want."

I think I need to work on the pitch, but you may be on to something. :D

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Mind. Blown.

I have honestly never thought to describe it as "working to get free stuff." Brilliant.

"Hey, tell you what. I've got a deal for you, but we've got to keep it hush hush. If the man finds out, I could be in trouble, and I ain't going down alone. Here's the deal: you mow my lawn, then I give you $20 free, no strings attached. You can then use that to get free stuff from anywhere you want."

Between exorbitant taxes and inflation, your scenario isn't so far fetched!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I call BS.

How many people here have tried to get a teen these days to work?

Well wait a min what if they thought they were just "working" to get "free" stuff?

Mind. Blown.

Between exorbitant taxes and inflation, your scenario isn't so far fetched!

It's all about the marketing!

Top Bottom