• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I learned that pallet wood is too inconsistent to build anything decent from.
    $3 2x4s worked nicely though. Tomorrow is range day!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice. I want to get some static steel. Currently I have brown cardboard cutout to simulate mini poppers. Whatever, it makes me call my shots thats for sure.

Parker

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For ordinary cardboard targets, I just use 4 electric fence posts. They are 5/16" diameter and 4 feet long. Cost a buck apiece, available everywhere. Fits all sizes of cardboard from 12-60 inches wide. Just push them in the ground at each edge of your cardboard, front & back. Only limitation is the height, but I rarely shoot at targets more than 30" high anyway. They take up virtually no space and transport easily.

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston
    For ordinary cardboard targets, I just use 4 electric fence posts. They are 5/16" diameter and 4 feet long. Cost a buck apiece, available everywhere. Fits all sizes of cardboard from 12-60 inches wide. Just push them in the ground at each edge of your cardboard, front & back. Only limitation is the height, but I rarely shoot at targets more than 30" high anyway. They take up virtually no space and transport easily.
    While shopping for the materials to build my steel stands (at Rural King), I saw some electric fence posts with "curls" at the top. I wondered for a moment if there would be substantial enough to hang a plate from. Will have to investigate this another day.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Made a couple of these years ago for just a few bucks. The other one has a weight added to help on windy days.

Attachments

• DII_6984w2.jpg
      DII_6984w2.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 7

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    If your having problems with wind I suggest coming up with a way to stake the targets. I shoot almost exclusively pistol targets so they are at 60" height or taller. Wind was a large problem. Drilled some holes at the extreme ends of the target legs and got some pole barn nails. Never had a problem since and I have shot in 20 MPH wind several times. If your shooting more long range rifle or something like that keeping the target really low to the ground will reduce the moment arm on the target and staking might not be needed.

Parker

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I use a Last Stand portable target stand and target hangers for steel targets. Just add 6 5' sections of half inch rebar and you have a light, durable, inexpensive steel target hanger. It is easy enough to slide the target hangers out of the way and tape a cardboard backer on when I want to shoot paper.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Just use old political yard signs after an election.

Everyone has one of 'Those Guys' in their neighborhood with 100 yard signs...

I've seen the ground so hard you bend them trying to stand them up, but 99% of the time it's political signs when shooting 'Short' (longer range has fixed backboards at my house).

People leave them up at the cross roads by the dozens, and I have to bush hog the lane, so I keep them for targets.
    "Post No Bills" notice means political signs too, if I have to move them to mow, they are mine.
    Now, if THEY mowed my right of way, it might be different ;)

When I first moved out here, we tried the surveyor stakes, single stake.
    My wife shoots the crotch out of the human shaped targets and that breaks the stake.
    She calls it "Warning Shots" and thinks it's funny...

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We had some perforated angle steel collecting dust... Great to use for hanging steel dingers...

These pics are from a couple years ago but you get the idea...

Heavy duty chain and hang them with spacers so they tilt downward...

The singles use an 18" long x 5/8" eye bolt and the double width uses an old ground rod.

double-wide-rack-194.jpg single-rack-194.jpg single-rack-side-194.jpg

:ingo:

Attachments

• single-rack.jpg
      single-rack.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 6
    • double-wide-rack.jpg
      double-wide-rack.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 4

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Similar to what I made only I included 2 more elbows and a cross bar on the back (on the ground) so the feet wouldn't rotate. Also went larger on the diameter so that the wood can slide in and be replaced without any cutting. Grab a 2'x2' plywood board and some cheap plastic clamps to hold it in place. Staple/tape your target on and you're all set with no flapping around in the wind.

Top Bottom