• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    So we're talking about these things, right? Not some straight rod?

No. The Redding dies use straight rod that is held in a collet that makes up the decapping rod. Just cut them to length and maybe round off the tip so that they don't just poke through the primer. I would only need rod of the appropriate diameter and something stiff enough that it wouldn't bend when used.

Up until this thread I did not know that Lee parts were basically free. Friday I placed an order for a bunch of parts I have been needing and some other stuff I just wanted. I had to pay shipping, and since I ordered four of each decapping rod that I needed I had to pay for some but the total was $60 and I will have several spares and also have everything I need to basically rebuild my lead pot and maybe stop it from leaking so I am okay with that.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Look at the pic. how do you get the skinny tip if all you have is rod stock?

Depriming pins are not a single diameter rod. there are two diameters in play.

Read the original post:

I was going through some reloading stuff the other day and I found a set of .45ACP Redding dies that I picked up in a package deal a while back. I used it for a while until one day I broke the decapping pin and did not have a replacement so I grabbed a resizing die from my Lee set and swapped them. So I look at the die, it has a separate decapping pin without a shoulder or anything. It fits in to a sort of compression collet built in to the decapping rod.

We are talking about different things.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Never broke a Lee pin just bend them back with pliers. RCBS are crap. Replaced those with a Brad nail I heated up and quenched. Used it like that for years.

That's a good idea. If I can find the appropriate size I could buy several lifetimes worth of decapping pins for Redding dies for a couple of bucks. Thanks. I was overthinking it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    No problem. If it helps I believe my brand nailer shoots 18ga. Not sure if it was one of those or pulled one from my picture hanging kit.

Only took a few minutes to fit it up. Once installed it got used for years until I sold it off.

Top Bottom