• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    33.) The last thing to do before the gun is completed is to re-attach the barrels onto the frame/action assys., install the locking forearm assy. and it's done! The synthetic grease came in VERY handy and worked VERY nice for the barrel pivot points and the action assembly, as they both work exceptionally smooth, while having a nice, positive "Lock" feel when the action is closed. ;)
    LeFeverShotgun7037.jpg

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    34.) Well, the gun is now complete and ready to fire! I tested the safety mechanism, both triggers, hammer cocking, barrel operation and ejector operation and everything works super-smooth, including the cocked hammer indicators. ;)

I gave the gun an overall wipe-down with gun/oil protectant, (including giving the timbers another coat of Old English wood preservative) took these photos and placed the finished gun into a Bob Allen Gun Sleeve (cotton and breathable) to keep it clean/dust free while in storage. I can't wait to shoot it next week. :yesway:

BTW~ Sorry for the poor lighting and pictures, as these don't do the gun justice as far as how it good it looks in person- especially with the wood grain! It still has that 112 year old aged, antique look that makes it cool, but now works as smooth as a swiss watch on the inside with modern lubes. :cool:

Enjoy!
    LeFeverShotgun7038.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7039.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7040.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7041.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7042.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7043.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7045.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7046.jpg

LeFeverShotgun7044.jpg

I hope this thread was helpful to those wanting to do their own gun restoration and as far as I know, this is the only ground-up resto job I've seen posted on the internet for a Lefever Arms Co. 12 ga. shotgun. :)

Anyone can do it, you just have to ask yourself first, "what do I want to do with the gun afterward" and make your resto plans accordingly- either as a DIY project or better left to a professional restorer.

Take your time, take plenty of pictures along the way on tear down and BE SURE to get the proper gunsmithing tools, lubes and such BEFORE you start. You don't want to muck anything up using the wrong tools that would de-value your gun of you damaged it.

I had a great time doing this restoration project and I can't wait till I get to do another. I certainly learned a lot and came to really appreciate the craftsmanship of these old guns built by REAL AMERICANS! :patriot:

Good luck, enjoy and happy shooting!! :draw:

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

My ammo arrived today via UPS and I was able to sneak out tonight amidst the ridiculous wind to test fire this dude. I was pretty excited, as I've never shot an antique gun this old (112 years) before...

It shot excellent on both sides and the RST Shot Shells seem to be just what the doctor ordered for this gun. A light load, very low recoil and a joy to shoot!

I'm a happy camper and the gun is awesome to shoot! :thumbsup:

dumppics006.jpg

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Great that you have shared your project with us. Shows a little of the passion you must have for firearms. Perhaps will encourage some of us armchair hobbyists to take on a project of our own.

markfjy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2013
    Step 23 Trigger plate and triggers question

Backfire

I have my 1900 Lefever disassembled. I noticed that the rear trigger has a springy action but the front does not. Is that the way it should be or am I going to have to get that repaired by a gunsmith, as it appears there is a pin holding that assembly together. Let me know.

Mark

Markfjy@gmail.com

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    WOW! I've always thought about restoring one of those $100 double barrels on gunbroker. If mine turns out half as good it'll turn some heads.

I've always had some reservations about using steel wool on wood. It doesn't hurt it any? Same with scotch brite pads.

BusterBridgman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    Sherborn
    I don't know if anyone will pick up on this old thread, but I have just joined this forum because of it... so thanks for documenting the re-build so well!
    I have a 1906 Lefever, and I have been puzzled for some time by its lack of springs on the firing pins...
    But I notice from these pictures that this Lefever also appears not to have springs on the firing pins.
    So is this correct?
    Perhaps someone can help me here!

Thanks

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I envy someone who has the skill and patience to do a really great job like that. You might want to google "Who ever saw a broken LeFever". That was, I think, their most common advertising slogan. At least that's the only one I remember. You might enjoy reading up on it. Again, congratulations on a great restoration.

BusterBridgman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2020
    Sherborn
    Thor, Yes this a very well documented restoration... They are beautifully made guns... Which makes me think that the firing pins would have springs to stop them moving back and forth...
    My Lefever does not have firing pin springs and neither are any shown in these pictures....Is this right? .... Any experts out there?

Top Bottom