• ...and so much more!
  • Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    b61403fc5178456a246df5586aca0702.jpg

My very first stipple job, done without practicing on anything first.

Crappy prep job and no borders.

Learned a lot from this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hear what you're saying but I respectfully disagree. A clean, attractive stippling job increases resale value as well. I see folks get $650, $700 out of a custom Glock 19 all the time. The ones with cut slides and 3rd-party triggers command $800 or more. I traded my self-stippled G17 for a $850 Chiappa Rhino a few weeks ago. Facebook groups like Glock Elite has nothing but cool stippled Glocks and they don't go cheap.

Sounds like you've found the market. I just haven't seen it.

Unless I've missed it, our INGO classifieds is not a reflection of that sentiment. "Customized" Glocks come up for sale fairly regularly. They don't sell quick, if they sell at all. And of course, we have no idea what the final price paid was, if they do sell.

Maybe those value added Glocks made it to the sites you mentioned. It'd be interesting to follow up on what cash value they really went for. Asking price is rarely received price anywhere, in my experience. But what do I know? :dunno:

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Sounds like you've found the market. I just haven't seen it.

Unless I've missed it, our INGO classifieds is not a reflection of that sentiment. "Customized" Glocks come up for sale fairly regularly. They don't sell quick, if they sell at all. And of course, we have no idea what the final price paid was, if they do sell.

Maybe those value added Glocks made it to the sites you mentioned. It'd be interesting to follow up on what cash value they really went for. Asking price is rarely received price anywhere, in my experience. But what do I know? :dunno:
    You're 100% correct. Like anything else, a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Look at these 2 stippled guns, they asked for over $1100 each, without the RMR. And I'm sure someone paid it. The stippling business is so lucrative that even Wilson Combat is now offering stippling service for Glocks. I sent a plain Glock 19 to WC, paid $150 to get stippled with the famed WC pattern, then installed a $150 Agency Arms trigger. Now I had $800 in the silly gun. I sold it through Armslist for $875. The buyer's sentiment was that if he couldn't pay $2500 for a Wilson Combat, my Glock with the WC pattern is a good substitute. It's crazy what services there are out there to do crazy things to Glocks. For example, many will cut out the entire backtrap, then fill it back with epoxy to the exact size of the customer's hand and refinish the gun. Or, Robar will install a glue similar to your truck bedliner for better grip for a huge fee. You're right that it's not for everyone. I myself believe that people watch way too many YouTube videos on how to shoot super fast. It seems that everyone wants to draw, shoot 2 shots in 1.4 seconds. The stippling industry plays on that, saying I can shoot faster with a stippled grip since recoil is mitigated by a better grip.
    099346de92461e6754ad7b94d42bc1f8.jpg
    09557f6cdd6b13a7d058a89c960cf4e6.jpg
    5fceea67f941af4fc6b0ba6ffec5a152.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Here's the first one I ever did...it's a Gen 2 Glock 23 that I shortened the grip to take a Glock 27 magazine + reduced the grip circumference + did a mild tree-bark stipple to it using a soldering iron with a semi-pointed tip. I did it in order to fit my smaller hands better but yet retain a slightly longer barrel / slide. I probably have 12-13 hours in just the grip! The slide was 'worn' in spots so I ran the whole exterior of the slide under a nylon wheel that smoothed out and balanced the worn spots giving the entire slide a 'worn' look. Shoots very nicely!

LGvW1PT.jpg

A6iBBZu.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    b61403fc5178456a246df5586aca0702.jpg

My very first stipple job, done without practicing on anything first.
    Crappy prep job and no borders.
    Learned a lot from this one

You are correct sir in that the prep is important and, IMO, key to a better outcome!
    That's where practicing on something like some used AR grips is important because one can figure some of those issues out prior to sanding and prepping a polymer frame!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Practice isn't necessary, but it also doesn't hurt. I would suggest practicing to see if you want to use the tip that you are planning on or not. You may decide the way it turns out is not what you were seeing in your mind. I would also suggest a small fan to blow the fumes away from you while you are stippling. Good luck!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Has the OP been on since his first post? Or did I take over as the subject of discussion?:)

Based on what I see in pics here and there, I will definitely practice! I don't want much done. If I could find someone that can show me acceptable work, I can't imagine he/she would charge much for a 3/8" square.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not my work and I doubt I would get my money back if I sold it but it feels much better in my hand and I feel it improves my shooting. Done by a guy I consider a pro at stippling with a dremel tool and a soldering iron. I tried doing one myself and it worked well and looked ok but it certainly wasn't anything someone would pay for.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

YUtWjXV.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Not my work and I doubt I would get my money back if I sold it but it feels much better in my hand and I feel it improves my shooting. Done by a guy I consider a pro at stippling with a dremel tool and a soldering iron. I tried doing one myself and it worked well and looked ok but it certainly wasn't anything someone would pay for.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

YUtWjXV.jpg
    That looks good!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I tried stippling once.
    I bought some fancy soldering guns with all kinds of cool tips too. All I ever accomplished was getting the gun hot and scratching the crap out of it.
    Now my 1911 looks like ****.

I'd definitely send it to a professional next time. :(

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm not a fan. Put the iron to the frame and you kill your resale value.

Talon grip tape for me. I can grip the gun solidly and my resale value is at least the same as stock, if not added value by the desired aftermarket accessory.

My thinking as well. Also the value in the future say 50 years from now as a hand me down firearm.

Top Bottom