• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    To further the argument, I've never understood even the idea of it being functional. Both stippling or grip tape. Do people that need this have problems dropping pistols when firing them without?

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Having the opportunity to shoot with a great stipple job can easily change your thoughts about why someone would do it. Almost all of my Glocks have had work done to them, making them more positive in grip/traction.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To further the argument, I've never understood even the idea of it being functional. Both stippling or grip tape. Do people that need this have problems dropping pistols when firing them without?

Not dropping, but flipping up from recoil. After applying my grip tape, I found I was able to get back on target quicker.

For some guns, it makes a world of difference.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I don't think the casual user would necessarily notice any difference. I do like stippling on standard glocks for extended use, but I prefer my vicker's 17 to most stippling. Some factory grip patterns on polymer pistols can get pretty slippery when sweated on. I think as OEM's catch on to the trends of the aftermarket we will see better grips molded in. The CZ P07/09 is a great pattern, the FN509 is excellent, the Vickers frame glocks are ok, but the Honor Defense Honor Guard has my favorite factory grip texture.

Stippling is no different than the interchangeable grips on pistols. People have their own preference as to what feels and works best in their hand. 1911's, CZ75's, Beretta 92's, etc all have a large aftermarket of different grip materials and textures even though the factory grip in most cases is sufficient.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    glock%2043%20stippling%20us%20flag%20waving%201.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It assists with recoil control and sight tracking. A slick grip, especially once wet with sweat or rain, gets squirmy in your hand. It moves more under recoil and also moves more unpredictably. Your body wants to compensate by squeezing harder, to the point you squeeze to hard and throw shots. An aggressive texture allows more control with less pressure.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I guess the people in the past I've heard discussing it acted like they couldn't bear the idea of shooting a non stippled pistol. I suppose I could see this helping in rain or sweaty conditions, just not to the point of being a must have. Especially when adding in (only my opinion) the fact diy stipple pistols look like garbage. I've never seen some of this professionally done work which would be way more appealing.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Being able to grip the gun is 2nd in importance only to trigger control. You can't control the gun effectively if you can't hold on to it.

I don't care about resale value. It's useless to ME when the grip is slick as snot, eg all factory glock grips. I'm not worried about what the next guy might think about it or whether I have to sell if for a few bucks less that I otherwise would have. I usually shoot them till they are worn out and not worth anything anyway.

If I can't go through a full mag w/o re-adjusting my grip, incl when sweaty, then I can't shoot consistently. The problem is only compounded by the effect on recoil control and sight tracking/alignment.

The only thing I care about in terms of how a gun LOOKS is the view through the sights.

I prefer to epoxy on blasting media (eg permanent grip tape) to stippling as it works even better. But stippling has been adequate on some guns.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/372100-traction-my-glock.html

-rvb

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I shoot glocks almost exclusively and have never thought to myself that I wished I could hold onto it better. With that being said I have never shot a stippled pistol to experience its advantages first hand either. I do however like the epoxy/sand idea you have much better than the stippling.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot glocks almost exclusively and have never thought to myself that I wished I could hold onto it better. With that being said I have never shot a stippled pistol to experience its advantages first hand either. I do however like the epoxy/sand idea you have much better than the stippling.

How fast do you shoot?

Talon Grips take about five minutes to install and are removable.

Squatz24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Muncie
    I think it improves the look of the gun if done well. I'm not worried about the value of my dime a dozen Glock or whatever other polymer gun you choose. Glock frames are easily obtained.

Top Bottom